Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If Meier does NOT bridge the only way we sign a UFA forward (including Pavs) is if we trade either Melker + Dell OR Dillon. Even then it will be tough.

Yeah - very tough. Even if you trade Melker and Dillon, I still don't see it.

Trade Melker and replace w/ a player at the $700K minimum, that brings the cap space to $1.7M.
Now, trade Dillon and trade for Pateryn (at 25% retention), that brings the cap space to about $3.3M.

Now, if Meier bridges at $4M (low end IMO but let's go with it), that brings the cap space to $5.3M.
Maybe then we can squeeze in Nyquist or Pavs? Probably Nyquist unless Pavs gives us a massive HTD.

The only thing I can see is if Jumbo comes in even lower to $1M or so.

DW definitely has some tough calls to make in the next couple weeks here.

I'm confident there's a market for Dillon but less so for Melker (without sweeteners). No confidence to trade Dell w/o sweeteners.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah - very tough. Even if you trade Melker and Dillon, I still don't see it.

Trade Melker and replace w/ a player at the $700K minimum, that brings the cap space to $1.7M.
Now, trade Dillon and trade for Pateryn (at 25% retention), that brings the cap space to about $3.3M.

Now, if Meier bridges at $4M (low end IMO but let's go with it), that brings the cap space to $5.3M.
Maybe then we can squeeze in Nyquist or Pavs? Probably Nyquist unless Pavs gives us a massive HTD.

The only thing I can see is if Jumbo comes in even lower to $1M or so.

DW definitely has some tough calls to make in the next couple weeks here.

I'm confident there's a market for Dillon but less so for Melker (without sweeteners). No confidence to trade Dell w/o sweeteners.

I am pretty sure Melker gets a late pick which is fine because all we really want is cap relief. Dell, I don't know. Will probably take some special kind of DW magic to move him.

As far as Dillon goes, I think DW does NOT want to move him because of his chemistry with Erik but I would roll the die there and move him. Simply because we need to take a chance sooner or later and find a bottom-pairing D man. Erik, Burns, Vlasic and Simek are already set on the roster.

Even if we do not re-sign Heed we need to pick 2 from:

Merkley, Ferraro, Middleton, DeSimone, Wood, Sund.

It is time we did something risky there where we gave a chance to the rookies to earn that bottom pairing and come into their own. The main weakness right now for us is our top-6 RW's. Labanc is guaranteed in there right now but I am still not sold on him in that role. He just gets that role by default because we have no other top-6 RW's left.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I am pretty sure Melker gets a late pick which is fine because all we really want is cap relief. Dell, I don't know. Will probably take some special kind of DW magic to move him.

As far as Dillon goes, I think DW does NOT want to move him because of his chemistry with Erik but I would roll the die there and move him. Simply because we need to take a chance sooner or later and find a bottom-pairing D man. Erik, Burns, Vlasic and Simek are already set on the roster.

Even if we do not re-sign Heed we need to pick 2 from:

Merkley, Ferraro, Middleton, DeSimone, Wood, Sund.

It is time we did something risky there where we gave a chance to the rookies to earn that bottom pairing and come into their own. The main weakness right now for us is our top-6 RW's. Labanc is guaranteed in there right now but I am still not sold on him in that role. He just gets that role by default because we have no other top-6 RW's left.

I'm with you but given our cap situation and if the rumors of an $82M cap prove true, I don't see how we can really improve our top 6 wingers. Everything will hinge on if Meier is willing to take a bridge and even still, more moves need to be made to free up space for a top 6 winger.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If Meier does NOT bridge the only way we sign a UFA forward (including Pavs) is if we trade either Melker + Dell OR Dillon. Even then it will be tough.
I don't see a way to make an $82 mil cap work with Pavelski back at $7 mil per year regardless of Meier/Labanc. Even scrounging literally everywhere else and moving Dell and Melker, the numbers don't work.

I made the following moves on CapFriendly and still had no room for a backup goalie:
- Trade Ryan, Melker, late pick to Vancouver for Virtanen (1.25 mil) +Biega (850k)
- Sign Pavs $7 mil AAV
- Sign Jumbo $1.5 mil AAV
- Sign Fehr $900k
- Sign Timo ($4 mil bridge) and Labanc ($3 mil bridge)
- Sign Gambrell $750k

So with all of those moves that are about as cap conscious as we can be (and very optimistic on the bridge deals), there is still no room to sign a backup goalie if the cap is at $82 mil. Add in to that the bottom 6 is also likely not going to be very good and I just don't see a good way to bring Pavelski back and not have a huge glaring issue elsewhere.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm with you but given our cap situation and if the rumors of an $82M cap prove true, I don't see how we can really improve our top 6 wingers. Everything will hinge on if Meier is willing to take a bridge and even still, more moves need to be made to free up space for a top 6 winger.

Its largely dependent on what types of deals Meier and Labanc sign. Till we do that, it is hard to know.

I think another thing that will play a large role into who else DW moves out is if he has more faith in the Cuda forwards or D-men to step into NHL roles this year. If he thinks the D is an issue Dillon stays. I read a quote somewhere earlier this week with DW saying that a few of our Cuda players are really close to being NHL players. Curios which ones he is thinking about.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't see a way to make an $82 mil cap work with Pavelski back at $7 mil per year regardless of Meier/Labanc. Even scrounging literally everywhere else and moving Dell and Melker, the numbers don't work.

I made the following moves on CapFriendly and still had no room for a backup goalie:
- Trade Ryan, Melker, late pick to Vancouver for Virtanen (1.25 mil) +Biega (850k)
- Sign Pavs $7 mil AAV
- Sign Jumbo $1.5 mil AAV
- Sign Fehr $900k
- Sign Timo ($4 mil bridge) and Labanc ($3 mil bridge)
- Sign Gambrell $750k

So with all of those moves that are about as cap conscious as we can be (and very optimistic on the bridge deals), there is still no room to sign a backup goalie if the cap is at $82 mil. Add in to that the bottom 6 is also likely not going to be very good and I just don't see a good way to bring Pavelski back and not have a huge glaring issue elsewhere.

I think signing any UFA forward more than 5M is going to be very tough for us. Pavs at 7M will require some serious amount of juggling. I think your numbers on both Labanc and Timo are optimistic. If they take bridge deals, I still expect them to cost 8M combined AAV.

Also, have the Nucks already given up on Virtanen? I thought they were super high on him.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think signing any UFA forward more than 5M is going to be very tough for us. Pavs at 7M will require some serious amount of juggling. I think your numbers on both Labanc and Timo are optimistic. If they take bridge deals, I still expect them to cost 8M combined AAV.

Also, have the Nucks already given up on Virtanen? I thought they were super high on him.
Not sure on the Nucks value of him, but he has only put up 20 and 25 point seasons in his two full NHL seasons so he could be ripe for a trade given their other youngsters have taken steps forward earlier. I like his size and style and think he could be a good fit on the Jumbo line. Vancouver may still be high on him, but not sure.

And I agree on the optimistic bridge deals. Just kind of did it to show how it is going to be virtually impossible to assemble a roster with Pavelski back without moving Dillon (which I would rather not do given that would leave us lierally 3 NHL D-Men with a full season of experience.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Not sure on the Nucks value of him, but he has only put up 20 and 25 point seasons in his two full NHL seasons so he could be ripe for a trade given their other youngsters have taken steps forward earlier. I like his size and style and think he could be a good fit on the Jumbo line. Vancouver may still be high on him, but not sure.

And I agree on the optimistic bridge deals. Just kind of did it to show how it is going to be virtually impossible to assemble a roster with Pavelski back without moving Dillon (which I would rather not do given that would leave us lierally 3 NHL D-Men with a full season of experience.

Yeah, it seems we have to move him.

Move Dillon then I think DW has to find a 3rd pairing man (R or L) that has NHL experience, good on the PK, size and with a cap hit around $1-1.75M. Just to give him some breathing room w/ Meier. Otherwise DW's hand will be forced w/ Meier.

Edit: I'd be really hesitant to have a 3rd pairing of AHL + Heed/Roy kind of setup. That pairing would be vulnerable

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I would not be opposed to moving Dillon depending on what kind of forward we are getting back. I know quite a few people want Pavs back but I don't like our top-6 with him at all. But I would prefer to keep Dillon if possible. Theoretically Ryan has more than 1 season experience too but he was not very convincing last year. We can potentially take a chance on him.

Also, the best bet we have to find a top-6 RW seems to be somehow trading for one who is on a signed RFA or ELC. The chances of that are pretty minute and it will most likely cost us a few prospects/picks.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Already deleted, what did it say?
Quote from Chris Johnston saying front offices are bracing for the cap to be under $82 mil and that it will not be finalized until Saturday. We were going to have a hard time at $83 mil. Bring that down to something like $81.5 mil and we are in for some issues.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Quote from Chris Johnston saying front offices are bracing for the cap to be under $82 mil and that it will not be finalized until Saturday. We were going to have a hard time at $83 mil. Bring that down to something like $81.5 mil and we are in for some issues.
Gotcha

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

I saw a tweet this morning saying $81.8M was the likely number. Bet the delay to Saturday is a dogfight w/ the NHLPA over escrow percentage.

Definitely makes things even harder for us.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
We could sign pavs for 7 mil and also donskoi if he is willing to take 2.5 mil and still have a team with 0.5 mil cap space.

Trade melker, dell, dillon.

Bring up both chi-twins.

Sign heed and ryan to 1 mil contracts. And also bring up one of the rookie goalies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Sharks new 4th line
Marleau-Thornton-Perry:sarcasm:

Honestly if they all cost under $4 mil in total on 1 year contracts, I would be all aboard this option if it meant that we could go find an impact top 6 forward via trade/UFA. If Perry signs for $1 mil and sucks, you can basically stash him in the minors for free after cap relief.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
We could sign pavs for 7 mil and also donskoi if he is willing to take 2.5 mil and still have a team with 0.5 mil cap space.

Trade melker, dell, dillon.

Bring up both chi-twins.

Sign heed and ryan to 1 mil contracts. And also bring up one of the rookie goalies.
So ice a bottom 6 that has 3 NHL players and a bottom pairing that is undersized, can't PK, and can't be trusted to play more than 12 mins a night. Sounds like a stellar plan...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He wants to win, he won’t go to the Kings.

Does he have any preference to stay in the local area as well? If he does, its got to be the Sharks or Kings. I honestly don't mind giving 1-1.5M contracts to Jumbo and Patty and 1M to Perry. No point in taking chances on Perry. He was the worst among those 3 last year.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
We need to keep pavs cap hit down

A 35 plus contract we could avoid would give us flexibility

I propose a 5 year 30 million aav 6 million cap hit

He gets his 21 million in first 3 years definitely still takes a discount put still gets some money

And by year 4 5 million should suffice or he retires without penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2