Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part quattro

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
With all these signings today, it looks like DW is starting his own 700 club.
William-Shatner-Well-Nod-Proud.gif

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Marleau +1M
Thornton +1.5M
Melker -2M

Leaves us with like 4M+ cap space

Dougie is passing out minimum contracts if Marleau wants one. Joe can have a cool milly because he is Joe. Then working on getting Zucker in teal.

Think Minny would go for Merkley, Melker, and a 2nd (Cond. 1st if Sharks make it to the Finals)?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Dougie is passing out minimum contracts if Marleau wants one. Joe can have a cool milly because he is Joe. Then working on getting Zucker in teal.

Think Minny would go for Merkley, Melker, and a 2nd (Cond. 1st if Sharks make it to the Finals)?
Dzingel is a good target for no assets.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Swap Melker for Sorensen and I think that may do it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
You gotta give it to Doug and these players — it’s a strong, happy culture where so many players are taking paycuts because they feel like they can trust their GM to repay them for their loyalty later.

Now let’s trade True for Ehlers and get a cup plz thxu

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Dzingel signs in CAR which should eliminate any UFA action from DW beyond Marleau and Jumbo.

Trade route still possible but I suspect you won’t see any additions at this point outside of 19 and possibly 12.

They clearly want to give the young guys a shot and legitimately believe they are ready for it. If they are proven wrong, they add in season via trade.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Dzingel to Hurricanes. 2 years $3.375 AAV. Not a bad deal. Not the player that I wanted anyway, but just confirms that it's time to go make a trade DW.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dzingel to Hurricanes. 2 years $3.375 AAV. Not a bad deal. Not the player that I wanted anyway, but just confirms that it's time to go make a trade DW.
The fact that DW was not in on Dzingel with a term/AAV like that just means he had little to no interest in him. I still can't believe that Dzingel got signed for lesser term AND AAV than Ferland.

Interesting to see what DW does at this point. He probably is looking at a trade but my hope is that he DOES NOT spend all of our remanding cap space on Patty/Jumbo if a trade does not happen. My biggest fear is that he overspends on both of them.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I hope we bring in Zucker or Kreider. If it's Kreider, I don't want to acquire him until the deadline though and give up as little as possible. He's going to ask for alot and I'd rather not sign him long term.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
You gotta give it to Doug and these players — it’s a strong, happy culture where so many players are taking paycuts because they feel like they can trust their GM to repay them for their loyalty later.

Now let’s trade True for Ehlers and get a cup plz thxu

I don't think this is really what's going on. Gambrell agreed to a contract with a slightly lower cap hit, but for way more guaranteed money. He pretty clearly wanted to maximize the guaranteed dollars in his contract. This wasn't some stroke of generosity.

I'm not criticizing Gambrell or trying to be a downer or anything, and I fully agree with your comments about the great team culture we have. But with all this talk of "paycuts" and "team friendly deals" and all, I think we're starting to read things into some of these contracts that aren't there. (LaBanc is obviously the exception, as he outright said he wanted to help the team.)

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I hope we bring in Zucker or Kreider. If it's Kreider, I don't want to acquire him until the deadline though and give up as little as possible. He's going to ask for alot and I'd rather not sign him long term.
If they wait til the deadline the price for Kreider will go up. The Rangers are also in need of capspace now, if they still have him at the deadline that would mean they had clear space another way and alleviated some of the pressure they are currently under. Though it is true that they most likely won't be able to re-sign him, Kreider will be hot commodity at the deadline and will command a higher price.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sounds like Trouba is close to signing a 7 year deal around 7.5M-8M AAV with the Rangers. I am expecting a couple of trades soon from them after because they still have Buchnevich and DeAngelo to re-sign.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If they wait til the deadline the price for Kreider will go up. The Rangers are also in need of capspace now, if they still have him at the deadline that would mean they had clear space another way and alleviated some of the pressure they are currently under. Though it is true that they most likely won't be able to re-sign him, Kreider will be hot commodity at the deadline and will command a higher price.

My feelings exactly. Unless NYR is like wayyy high on Merkley, I don’t think we have the assets. Maybe Labanc, but after this contract I would consider DW a huge POS for moving him. That’s a team friendly deal from him, because he wants to play here. Would be a huge betrayal to see him moved. So IDK what’s left to acquire Kreider. 2nd ain’t gonna get the job done.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My feelings exactly. Unless NYR is like wayyy high on Merkley, I don’t think we have the assets. Maybe Labanc, but after this contract I would consider DW a huge POS for moving him. That’s a team friendly deal from him, because he wants to play here. Would be a huge betrayal to see him moved. So IDK what’s left to acquire Kreider. 2nd ain’t gonna get the job done.

Yeah. Trading Labanc would be terrible. Plus moving him just creates another hole so unless we are getting an Ehlers like guy back (who is a significant upgrade), it is pointless moving Labanc.

I would not move Merkley for a rental Kreider. No freaking way. I think something like 2nd + Chmelevski gets it done but honestly I would not move Chmelevski for Kreider either. If he can be had for 2nd + Blichfeld or the likes of that level of prospect, I am fine. If not, lets just keep our prospects, re-sign Jumbo and bring back Patty. Hopefully our prospects catch lightning in a bottle and make this our year.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The fact that DW was not in on Dzingel with a term/AAV like that just means he had little to no interest in him. I still can't believe that Dzingel got signed for lesser term AND AAV than Ferland.

Interesting to see what DW does at this point. He probably is looking at a trade but my hope is that he DOES NOT spend all of our remanding cap space on Patty/Jumbo if a trade does not happen. My biggest fear is that he overspends on both of them.
Patty is signing for $700k or nothing so not worried about that one whatsoever. I think Jumbo comes back at about $1.5 mil as well. Just curious to see what we do with the cap space. Would leave us with $3,217,583 in cap space if those two re-sign at those clips and then sending Middleton back to the Cuda leaving the roster with 13F 7D 2G. Would still be down a top 6 forward and would have a pair of extra bottom 6 forwards. Need to find a way to combine some of those excess bottom 6 guys like Sorensen, Radil, Melker, etc. with other assets into a package for a top 6 winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad