Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Yeesh.. probably 1.5MM less than DW was counting on. Bye bye Dell and Melker. Our bottom 6 is going to be Cuda built lol

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
Although I think, in a vacuum, trading Sorenson for Poolparty makes a ton of sense, it's not happening. He just signed a two year extension, is friends with EK, and Jumbo loves playing with him. I think Dougie, who's pretty damn savvy when it comes to knowing his players and keeping them content, isn't going to annoy EK and Jumbo when he just locked down EK long-term and is getting a favor from Thornton in signing for whatever cap is left over.

Melker though? Good luck in Edmonton, you f***ing bitch.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Yeesh.. probably 1.5MM less than DW was counting on. Bye bye Dell and Melker. Our bottom 6 is going to be Cuda built lol

Which may really not be the worst thing. Even with Melker gone, the guaranteed players on the bottom-6 are going to be:

Sorensen-Jumbo-?
?-Goodrow-Gambrell

We have enough players/prospects on the Cuda that could be productive bottom-6 players this season:

Chmleveski, Chekhovich, True, Suomela, Martin, Perron

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Which may really not be the worst thing. Even with Melker gone, the guaranteed players on the bottom-6 are going to be:

Sorensen-Jumbo-?
?-Goodrow-Gambrell

We have enough players/prospects on the Cuda that could be productive bottom-6 players this season:

Chmleveski, Chekhovich, True, Suomela, Martin, Perron
Im gonna guess we start the season with True and Suomela but end it with the chwins.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Im gonna guess we start the season with True and Suomela but end it with the chwins.

One of the reasons I actually want Donkey back is because he was going to be cheaper than all of the other UFA's. Plus we know his strengths/weaknesses and how he fits on the team. Plus he gives us flexibility moving anywhere in the top-9 and even play on the 4th line even if one of the Ch-twins outplay him.

Reactions: Paatre

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I expect DW to leverage the fact that Pavs can sign an under 35 contract and retire without any cap penalty. I think we see Pavs back on an 8 year deal that is severely front loaded to reduce his cap hit. Why not?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I expect DW to leverage the fact that Pavs can sign an under 35 contract and retire without any cap penalty. I think we see Pavs back on an 8 year deal that is severely front loaded to reduce his cap hit. Why not?
Because there are things called cap circumvention penalties that will take away future 1st round picks when he retires with 4 years left on that deal.

Reactions: WSS11

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

Attachments

• 1A7FC9ED-F5CE-4168-BFB3-A14BC6C23DDA.gif
    1A7FC9ED-F5CE-4168-BFB3-A14BC6C23DDA.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: WSS11

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Because there are things called cap circumvention penalties that will take away future 1st round picks when he retires with 4 years left on that deal.

Yea, the current CBA was pretty clear about trying to get rid of cap circumvention, especially after some of the ridiculous contracts guys like Weber were getting.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah. There is a reason these types of contracts are not given out that often.

Also, people are talking about front loading Pavs contract when the biggest issue is that we do not have much money available for this season.

NewMuzu24

May 28, 2018
@NewMuzu24 - I can see the Sharks signing Pavelski over Nyquist. Costs them a pick to re-sign Nyquist. Nothing for Pavs.

I always forget about that part, ha. Agree that DW might not care as much but that pick could certainly be more useful for a later transaction or as the pick itself.

The pick may not matter much but an extra 2nd round pick (compared to not having it lol) can be used for a rental at the trade deadline.

I agree with this. If Pavs and Nyquist could come at a similar price, I guess I'd pick Pavs + next year's Nyquist at TDL. I just don't like the idea of having to give Pavs 4-5yrs, although since it's pre-35+ he could retire if necessary w/o penalty.

If we really do see an 81.5M cap, Donskoi might have to be back in the fold out of necessity. Can't see room for Pavs or Nyquist at realistic salary figures. Not sure if Ferland at 4.8M+ holds any interest. I don't know much about his game.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Also, people are talking about front loading Pavs contract when the biggest issue is that we do not have much money available for this season.
We don't have a lot of cap this season, I'm sure Hasso is fine for money. Caphit takes the average so front loading makes sense if there is an expected drop off coming.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

The front loading has nothing to do with this year's cap space. It is all based on AAV. So you load the first year and taper the rest so that he gets more money now. The AAV is all that matters for cap purposes. Hasso is a billionaire. We are not cash poor to where we can't pay more up front. We are just cap space poor.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The front loading has nothing to do with this year's cap space. It is all based on AAV. So you load the first year and taper the rest so that he gets more money now. The AAV is all that matters for cap purposes. Hasso is a billionaire. We are not cash poor to where we can't pay more up front. We are just cap space poor.

Even then, I would not risk giving too much to Pavs. 7M, 5M, 3M for 3 years. 5M AAV is the most I would give to him.

Assuming he will retire after 2 or 3 years would be a big risk to take.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Even then, I would not risk giving too much to Pavs. 7M, 5M, 3M for 3 years. 5M AAV is the most I would give to him.

That example above is about the max I would do (assuming it is CBA compliant). Could also load it with signing bonus stuff up front as well.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That example above is about the max I would do (assuming it is CBA compliant). Could also load it with signing bonus stuff up front as well.
So the signing bonus won't count against the AAV? I am hoping we look at filling the top-6 with a different type of player than Pavs but if we do re-sign Pavs I really don't want him to have more than 5M AAV and term longer than 3 years.

If there is a way we can use the signing bonus to reduce the AAV even more, all the more better.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

How about 7,5,3,3,2,2,1,1? AAV 3MM. It’s not that far out of line. We are talking about bringing Patty back at 1 mil. I don’t know the exact rules, but this would be the perfect time to push a contract to the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad