Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
NHL's Top 12 UFAs of 2019: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

According to this article, Pavelski wants long term at 5 million/year. Well worth it for a guy who stands in front of the net and tips pucks. I hope we can protect him in the expansion draft without losing a key piece.
I saw that and have no idea where they're getting the number. If it's true I hope the Sharks do it. Cap goes way up before it hurts us too bad, Pavs should still be good for the first 2 years at the least then we can either trade or buy him out or ride it out til he retires. This is our window and Pavs is important to the team.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I don't know man. With how much money Hayes just made, I can see Nyquist looking for a similar contract.
No way he gets that kinda money from us. I like Nyquist but he's replaceable. Get another one at the deadline for the 2nd we keep not signing him.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Would love to take a chance on Pool Party since the Oilers sound like they are trading him. Wonder what the price would be.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't know man. With how much money Hayes just made, I can see Nyquist looking for a similar contract.
Hayes is signing as a center though instead of a winger which has inherently more value. Would guess Nyquist will get done for 5 years $5.5 mil similar to Eberle.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Sign Marleau and Perry to $1M 1 year deals to play on the 4th line

9-48-8
28-39-62
20-19-68
12-23-10

Excellent, I hate it

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I am not saying he is getting that from us or that he even deserves that much. But dude had 60 points last year.
Didn't mean to imply you meant it that way. I think it's possible some team offers him that much, I think he'll definitely get at least 6m. The contracts being thrown at top 6 forwards have been crazy.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Alright here's my game plan:

Trades:
  • Trade Dillon+Dell for a 3rd and 4th.
  • Trade Melker for a 6th
UFA Signings:
  • Joe Pavelski- 5 yrs 5M per (7, 6, 4, 4, 4)
  • Alex Edler- 3 yr 4.5M per
  • Patrick Marleau- 1 yr $1M
  • Tim Heed- 2 yrs 900k
RFA Signings:
  • Timo Meier- 2 yrs 4.5M per (target 7*7.5M in 2 years)
  • Kevin Labanc- 2 yrs 3.33M per (target 6x5M in 2 years)
  • Joakim Ryan- 1 yr 800k
  • Dylan Gambrell- 1 yr 700k

Meier-Couture-Chmelvski/Checkovich/Gambrell
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Pavs-Sorensen
Goodrow-Thornton-Gambrell/Radil
Gambrel/Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Edler-Karlsson
Simek-Heed
Ryan
(Martin)

Jones
Bibeau

Total: 81.65M

Expansion Draft:
  • Buyout Edler (1.5M/yr for 2 years)
Protection:
  • Forwards: Kane, Hertl, Meier, Couture, Pavs, Labanc, and Gambrell
  • Defense: EK, Vlasic, Burns
  • Goalies: Kronenar
  • Exempt: Chmelvski, Checkovich, Merkeley, Ferraro
  • Lose: Simek or Jones

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
And Skinner is a winger who has never hit more than 63 points in a season. This is a crazy market. Some GM will overpay for Nyquist.
Skinner also has 4 seasons of 30+ goals and is almost 3 years younger than Nyquist. Nyquist has never broken the 30 goal mark and only broke 50 points for the second time ever in his career. I don't see Nyquist getting more than $6 mil.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Skinner also has 4 seasons of 30+ goals and is almost 3 years younger than Nyquist. Nyquist has never broken the 30 goal mark and only broke 50 points for the second time ever in his career. I don't see Nyquist getting more than $6 mil.

Nyquist can get well above $6M on July 1st.

Trades:
  • Trade Melker for a 6th
UFA Signings:
  • Tim Heed- 2 yrs 900k
RFA Signings:
  • Joakim Ryan- 1 yr 800k

Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Pavs-Sorensen
Gambrel/Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Edler-Karlsson
Simek-Heed
Ryan
(Martin)

Jones
Bibeau

Expansion Draft:
Protection:

Sounds like Edler is off the table.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Trades:
  • Trade Melker for a 6th
UFA Signings:
  • Tim Heed- 2 yrs 900k
RFA Signings:
  • Joakim Ryan- 1 yr 800k

Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Marleau-Pavs-Sorensen
Gambrel/Radil

Vlasic-Burns
Edler-Karlsson
Simek-Heed
Ryan
(Martin)

Jones
Bibeau

Expansion Draft:
Protection:

Sorry to throw a big ole wet blanket on your hardwork post, but Edler looks to be staying put in Vancouver.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I can see him getting 6.5-7M on a 4 year contract. 6-6.5 on a 5 year contract and 5.5-6M on a 6 year contract.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
2 years for 10MM is what I’d do for Pavs. Can’t waste a slot on him for the expansion draft and honestly I’m not crazy about giving a guy whose medical report was “that of someone who had been in a car wreck” especially when he’s already too slow for today’s NHL. I love Pavs character and appreciate what he’s done for the team but like it was for Marleau, it’s just business. Cap is a problem and DW is going to need to be very careful of what he does going forward especially with the cap not increasing as high as originally projected.

Reactions: Dicdonya

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Nyquist can get well above $6M on July 1st.

Sounds like Edler is off the table.
Who is going to pay it though? I don't see the middle market guys like Nyquist getting near the stupid deals that we have seen in the past. There is simply not enough cap room after the big names are gone. The teams that have cap space are either not likely destinations because they are rebuilding. Colorado is about the only team that I could see offering up that kind of money for him that he is realistically going to go to.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Who is going to pay it though? I don't see the middle market guys like Nyquist getting near the stupid deals that we have seen in the past. There is simply not enough cap room after the big names are gone. The teams that have cap space are either not likely destinations because they are rebuilding. Colorado is about the only team that I could see offering up that kind of money for him that he is realistically going to go to.

Yeah. But there are 32 teams in the league. In the end all you need is 1 idiot.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

One team that comes to mind is Philadelphia. They just paid $7.14M/7Y to Kevin Hayes and they still have plenty of space. Hayes also qualifies as a middle market guy and you see what he got.

Look at all the fans that want him around 5-5.5 in this thread. That should tell you he's getting over $6M. Fans always underestimate what players will get paid on July 1st.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Sorry to throw a big ole wet blanket on your hardwork post, but Edler looks to be staying put in Vancouver.

Yup, shoot! In that case, I'd keep Dillon. If we have to, we'd be able to keep Dell if we couldn't give him away. It actually is the same cap hit.

Also, my hunch is it's going to be a couple mill per year more than 4.5M

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hayes is signing as a center though instead of a winger which has inherently more value. Would guess Nyquist will get done for 5 years $5.5 mil similar to Eberle.

Eberle took a pretty big discount to stay with his team. He was also coming off of a sub-40 point season where as Nyquist hit 60.

Eberle would've received over $6M on July 1st. July 1st UFA is different from re-signing with your team before July 1st. Nyquist can get over $6M if he chases money. Ken Holland might offer him that in Edmonton.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
upload_2019-6-19_11-15-42.jpeg

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Supposedly the ask for pulljarvi is a 3rd liner, think we could sell melker as a third liner? And would you do melker for pulljarvi?
I mean he would be a 3rd liner on that sorry team so maybe? Would do Melker + late pick or Perron for him in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad