Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 11 - Post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
So kind of like i said, he wanted to waive. But no true contenders came calling. Sure he could of went to dallas, but they are closer to being out of the playoffs then having a legit chance at winning the cup.
Still not sure why he wouldn’t go play 2 months Or maybe more if they do well in playoffs of hockey with Dallas to take that chance

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Still not sure why he wouldn’t go play 2 months Or maybe more if they do well in playoffs of hockey with Dallas to take that chance
What doesn’t make sense is that reports were Dallas made a big push and kurz tweeted Thornton is willing to go there, so how does that not get done. Either Thornton wasn’t actually willing to go there or there’s more to it

Reactions: ChompChomp

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
So kind of like i said, he wanted to waive. But no true contenders came calling. Sure he could of went to dallas, but they are closer to being out of the playoffs then having a legit chance at winning the cup.

I think Dallas is closer than people think. Solid D and excellent goaltending. With how thin the West is this year, they have a good shot at making it to the Finals. Do they stack up against the 4 powerhouse teams in the East? Probably not

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Whats crazy is looking at San Jose and Vegas right now, you would guess we were the expansion team 3 years ago, not them.

Really hoping DW has more of a plan this summer. This whole season has felt like theres no plan, and no backup plan. Training Camp was kind of a mess with seemingly none of the regulars getting much playing time, and when the kids didnt work out we were totally hosed.

Without our first, this year is just a total loss. Lets hope Doug can make some major moves this summer to turn it around. Theres no way this roster should be fighting for last in the Pacific.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I tried a go at the roster for next year.

Sharks 2020-21 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Only big move was signing Dadanov for 7M x 5. Halak for 3M x 2.
Smaller moves were re-signing our RFA's. Bringing back our own UFA's in Noesen and Simek.
Trading Sorensen + 6th pick in 2022 to Devils for their 7th pick in 2022.

The roster could probably use one more veteran depth D at under 1M, but I feel with the right coach (BB is fine) AND league average goaltending, we should be a playoff team.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I tried a go at the roster for next year.

Sharks 2020-21 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Only big move was signing Dadanov for 7M x 5. Halak for 3M x 2.
Smaller moves were re-signing our RFA's. Bringing back our own UFA's in Noesen and Simek.
Trading Sorensen + 6th pick in 2022 to Devils for their 7th pick in 2022.

The roster could probably use one more veteran depth D at under 1M, but I feel with the right coach (BB is fine) AND league average goaltending, we should be a playoff team.
Only issue for me is Carrick actually playing. I feel like the sharks will swing at some euro FA d men before they play Carrick all year

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Without our first, this year is just a total loss. Lets hope Doug can make some major moves this summer to turn it around. Theres no way this roster should be fighting for last in the Pacific.
THIS roster?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Only issue for me is Carrick actually playing. I feel like the sharks will swing at some euro FA d men before they play Carrick all year

Yeah. The biggest holes in that roster are still relying on Jones to be a starter. Halak could work but I really don't know how realistic 3M x 2 is for him.

Second biggest thing is the D depth. Even if Simek-Carrick or Ferraro-Carrick works right away, we have little to no depth.

I tried to build something which was realistic without moving any big names out of our roster. If we really want to add anyone else here, its going to be hard since we are up against the cap.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I agree that there are enough free agents on the market that we can rebuild the team fairly quickly. I have a feeling DW is going to look for a game changing forward, we lack that. I wonder if he’s going to push hard to sign Hall. Us having such a bad year definitely hurts (even more) our chances of signing UFAs though.

Reactions: themelkman

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I agree that there are enough free agents on the market that we can rebuild the team fairly quickly. I have a feeling DW is going to look for a game changing forward, we lack that. I wonder if he’s going to push hard to sign Hall. Us having such a bad year definitely hurts (even more) our chances of signing UFAs though.

Hard pass on hall. With edmonton they did nothing. With jersey they got worse and worse. Then traded to the 1st place coyotes and now they are barely holding onto a playoff spot.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Coily

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
DW’s biggest asset this season will be cap space and he’s gonna need to get rid of either Jones or Vlasic or both. I just can’t see him trying to trade anyone else from the core, he believes in them too much.

Reactions: themelkman

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Sharks Twitter's projected lineup for tonight marking Couture as a game time decision

Are we actually going to see Brandon Davidson play in some games? If so, where do you think he slots in?

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
DW isn't the reason he wasn't traded... no serious contenders gave an offer. What is DW supposed to do give a draft pick so they will take him?
The bigger issue is that none of the contenders wanted him in any form or fashion and yet based on all reports we are going to continue to re-sign him year after year until he decides to hang them up. No one else wants him, but we are going to keep holding a top 9 center spot for him forever. Cut the cord.

Reactions: Coily

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The bigger issue is that none of the contenders wanted him in any form or fashion and yet based on all reports we are going to continue to re-sign him year after year until he decides to hang them up. No one else wants him, but we are going to keep holding a top 9 center spot for him forever. Cut the cord.

I don't know about that. Dallas showed interest in him just didn't put an offer together. It could've just been a timing issue. It's very possible that Thornton held off on deciding on wanting to go until the metaphorical last minute and it was too late to put a deal together.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
A lot of contenders wouldn't be able to maximize Thornton. And bringing in a player like him has system considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad