Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 11 - Post TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Whelp, gotta give credit to DW for getting a first for Goodrow.

Other then that, quite a ho-hum trade deadline, and if it comes out true that he had offers for Thornton from teams Thornton was willing to go to, but held out for better assets, f*ck him. Thornton deserves a shot at the cup, and any asset for a 40 yo upcoming UFA is better than no asset and him leaving in the offseason to chase a cup.

For now though I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on that situation, and assume no one offered anything for Thornton from whatever teams Thornton was willing to go to.

Really wish he would have traded Sorenson, Melker and Dell, but those were long shots given what I assume their value is.

Gunna be interesting the rest of the year, I actually like the idea of having a really young team right now. We can really get some extended looks at our prospects and see who is actually worth keeping by next year.

Well guess now it’s time to start speculating on draft day moves.
Man I bet it was hard to write something positive about DW even if it was brief... :laugh: I can't believe he got a 1st for a 3rd and Goody. He even got another prospect back. That's crazy... If he trades one of the Albatros 3 at the draft this team could be right back in it depending on who they get to fill the holes.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Any word on why Jumbo wasnt traded? Would have been hard to see him leave, and he'll at least help make the games watchable for the rest of the year. But would have been nice for him to have a chance at a cup and get some assets. Any word on why Dallas' interest didnt materialize into anything?

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
Well then, Labanc + Martin for Ranger's Georgiev and 1st round pick.

C'mon. Martin Jones has 4 years left at 5.75M
Georgiev will be a RFA with better numbers over the last two years.

My point is I don't think Georgiev's numbers would have been nearly as good with the porous defense we had up to Boughner taking over. I'm seeing a lot of improvement with Jones and Dell, so I would not be quick to talk about a buy out of Jones.

Rangers have two first rounders in 2020 (one from Hurricanes). That would be doable for Lebanc.

I'd like to see Lebanc in more of a sniper's role. It's good that he drives play, especially through the neutral zone, but his role isn't as a playmaker. What brought him to the NHL is his shot.

Last edited:

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Hey @JoeThorntonsRooster i forgot to ask when you posted it about Vlasic being worth 2.5mil or whatever but based on those metrics is there anyone on the team who’s either outperforming their contract or at least performing to their contract?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hey @JoeThorntonsRooster i forgot to ask when you posted it about Vlasic being worth 2.5mil or whatever but based on those metrics is there anyone on the team who’s either outperforming their contract or at least performing to their contract?
Check out JFresh (@JFresh1999): JFresh (@JFresh1999) | Twitter
This is the guy who makes those cards. He doesn't have a website yet so he's posting them piecemeal from my understanding. He hasn't posted the Vlasic card from what I can tell so I guess JTR got it from patreon content maybe?

Otherwise the market value thing comes from Dom Loose-chicken.

Reactions: Mafoofoo

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Check out JFresh (@JFresh1999): JFresh (@JFresh1999) | Twitter
This is the guy who makes those cards. He doesn't have a website yet so he's posting them piecemeal from my understanding. He hasn't posted the Vlasic card from what I can tell so I guess JTR got it from patreon content maybe?

Otherwise the market value thing comes from Dom Loose-chicken.

I actually know him through a Discord server and he sent me the Vlasic chart.

I don't have the full Patreon, but I have a pretty good idea of how the formula works and how certain guys will grade out, so I can give you a guess as to what his model says.

Couture - Not worth it
Kane - Not worth it
Timo - Worth it
Hertl - Worth it
Melker - Not worth it
Thornton - Worth it
Sorensen - Worth it
Labanc - Worth it

Karlsson - Not worth it
Burns - Not worth it
Vlasic - We know

Jones - lol
Dell - Worth it

He posted Dillon, Goodrow, and Marleau on Twitter and they were all worth their contracts.

Posted Thornton as well:

JFresh on Twitter

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Shocking, Martin Jones still, technically, has value as opposed to the variety of negative market value players out there

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well then, Labanc + Martin for Ranger's Georgiev and 1st round pick.

C'mon. Martin Jones has 4 years left at 5.75M
Georgiev will be a RFA with better numbers over the last two years.

My point is I don't think Georgiev's numbers would have been nearly as good with the porous defense we had up to Boughner taking over. I'm seeing a lot of improvement with Jones and Dell, so I would not be quick to talk about a buy out of Jones.

Rangers have two first rounders in 2020 (one from Hurricanes). That would be doable for Lebanc.

I'd like to see Lebanc in more of a sniper's role. It's good that he drives play, especially through the neutral zone, but his role isn't as a playmaker. What brought him to the NHL is his shot.
That still looks bad for the Sharks. I mean it’s nice getting a first and getting rid of Jones but trading one of our few NHL level forwards (and able to play top 9) for a back up goalie and another pick is just not a good plan.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Thanks guys. Wow biggest surprise for me is how Sorensen is ranked as worth it.

Pretty cool stats for sure gonna follow on Twitter

Sorensen is just a guess. I know the formula uses a weighted GAR model. And Sorensen's GAR over the past 3 seasons is:

2019-2020: -3.4
2018-2019: +6.4
2017-2018: +0.1

That's a little lower than I thought, so he's probably not actually worth it according to the model.

The model isn't perfect though. I personally don't believe Sorensen is worth his contract.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jul 10, 2010
If there were offers for Jumbo from cup contenders and DW held out for slightly higher picks that’s pretty messed up
Thornton didnt seem keen on moving to me. Even if DW had offers, if Jumbo said i wanna stay i doubt DW would of moved him, even if we all believe he deserves a shot at a cup

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Thornton is gonna be playing till we win a cup. Doesn’t matter how long it takes and I’m ok with that and will cherish every game of his in teal

Jumbo at the banner raising ceremony:

img.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad