Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Looks like JBD is off to another good start at ND & Pinto hopefully also gets off to a good start. I don't see Tychonik being anything more than a career minor leaguer (ECHL) based on the little I have seen of him at development camp.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I strongly disagree that Pinto looks like a good pick.

What would he have to do to be a good pick in your books?

Fresh off a dominant playoff as a 17 y.o in the USHL he's been involved in a handful of goals already two games into his college career. Small sample size but if he scores 60-70 pts over the next two years, are we still talking about him as a disappointment?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What would he have to do to be a good pick in your books?

Fresh off a dominant playoff as a 17 y.o in the USHL he's been involved in a handful of goals already two games into his college career. Small sample size but if he scores 60-70 pts over the next two years, are we still talking about him as a disappointment?
Bobby Brink at eliteprospects.com

Arthur Kaliyev at eliteprospects.com

Nicholas Robertson at eliteprospects.com

Three guys off the top of my head who are just clearly better players. Pinto was just a bad pick because there were probably 20 guys still on the board who were just better.

I dont think he's bad, I just like other guys better.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
upset huh? man some of you people must live on a razor thin emotional edge.
My opinion on the draft. You don't see it , I am not going to explain it to you.

Not every skilled player can be lopped in with attitude problem players like Hosang and Sprong.

Wow. Lol :laugh:

Yeah....upset is the word I meant to use. Or annoyed. Or whatever the hell you want to it call the term when people feel compelled to WHINE about players we didnt take in past drafts. In our prospects thread.

Have a good turkey day bud :thumbu:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Wow. Lol :laugh:

Yeah....upset is the word I meant to use. Or annoyed. Or whatever the hell you want to it call the term when people feel compelled to WHINE about players we didnt take in past drafts. In our prospects thread.

Have a good turkey day bud :thumbu:
I'm sure your woefully unaware but you're the one doing the whining in this thread.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Next time let me know that you were posing a rhetorical question. I thought you wanted me to answer.

I dont think you need to answer anything, your doing exactly what I said people are doing (moaning about prospects we didnt take). It doesnt require any response from you.

Anyhow, Im totally fine with our 1st and 2nd round picks from 2019 so far, based on their performance.

This team has shown time and time again that it knows what its doing at the draft. Sue me I guess...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lol yup. Was meant to be an edit.

And you've still avoiding the fact that your getting destroyed with facts right now.
The measure of games played is pretty flawed. Guys like Borowiecki and Ceci would be considered big positives when they're some of the worst players to take to the ice in the NHL over the past 10 years.

Most of the great players we selected were picks of guys who are employed by other teams now. Pointing at a guy like Karlsson who was the pick of Anders Forsberg hardly makes sense to to say that this is a proven good scouting unit.

You're specifically speaking of 1st and second round picks that you thought were good as well when we all know our recent history in those rounds have been pretty awful. Unless you consider drafting the likes of Lazar, Gagne, Englund to be good.

If we hadn't taken Chabot in 2015, we might be considered one of the worst drafting teams.

Edit: and just to add to this. We are the worst team in hockey 3 years running. That is absolutely a reflection of our recent drafting and how we value players. Its not the only factor, but the results of the 2012-2014 draft are a huge factor in us being a basement team.

Last edited:

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
I am getting the feeling that people who like Kaliyev are taking this four goal game as an "I told you so". But he already had 51 goals and 102 points as a 17 year old last year and most scouts and a lot of fans still weren't that high on him. So I don't expect scoring even more in junior is going to change that.

It would be like if there was some fan-favorite pop singer who was critically panned as a bad musician but was really hot. And then she gets a boob-job and her fans are like "See!"
A lot of fans were high on him. Typically fans only read box scores - those are jawdropping numbers for a 17 year old. The precedent for a 50G50A 17year old in the CHL are first overall picks/guys who turned out to have highly successful nhl careers.

On top of the statistics, the narrative that scouts didn't like him relied on his DZ play/ an inconsistent lack of effort. Was he good in his own end? No. Did he take shifts off? No more than any other player who scored at an insanely high rate. If his last name didn't end in -yev we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

His *actual* biggest detractor is his footspeed. He's average - above average at best at the junior level. Any critic that has actually watched him would wonder how that transitions to the NHL where guys are faster, stronger & he has less room to play with the puck. The counter is that he can get a shot off from any angle, in tight areas & provide dangerous scoring chances from nearly any part of the ice. His shot is heavy, accurate & yet he is a great playmaker too. He'll be a 30G scorer at the NHL level, easily.

Oh, and your analogy is shit.

2019 draft was another head scratching moment brought to us by Your Ottawa Senators high fiving machine
It was the easiest 2nd round pick to make, especially for a pool that lacks high risk prospects with elite upside. Yet they couldn't stop themselves from overthinking an easy pick.

Bobby Brink at eliteprospects.com

Arthur Kaliyev at eliteprospects.com

Nicholas Robertson at eliteprospects.com

Three guys off the top of my head who are just clearly better players. Pinto was just a bad pick because there were probably 20 guys still on the board who were just better.

I dont think he's bad, I just like other guys better.

Don't forget Dorofeyev! Already playing top6 minutes in the KHL, incredibly underscouted player. Should have gone late first.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Why would you need that? You seem pretty good at judging others; so I’ll let you follow your golden path of PA
giphy.gif

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
If his last name didn't end in -yev we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

What an idiotic take. Plenty of North American players with North American names that get reputations for being lazy, bad defensively and fall in the draft.

Oh, and your analogy is ****

Well it wasn't meant to be very serious. But it actually has something to it at a superficial level - that these fans you mentioned who just look at the stats or a few highlights, just like the fans of a pop singer would just look at how she looks and how catchy the hooks are. Versus music critics or hockey scouts/experts who make a more in-depth, sophisticated analysis.

It was the easiest 2nd round pick to make, especially for a pool that lacks high risk prospects with elite upside. Yet they couldn't stop themselves from overthinking an easy pick.

Plenty of other teams passed on him with picks just a few spots earlier. And Kaliyev doesnt have elite upside, even best-case scenario.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The measure of games played is pretty flawed. Guys like Borowiecki and Ceci would be considered big positives when they're some of the worst players to take to the ice in the NHL over the past 10 years.

Most of the great players we selected were picks of guys who are employed by other teams now. Pointing at a guy like Karlsson who was the pick of Anders Forsberg hardly makes sense to to say that this is a proven good scouting unit.

You're specifically speaking of 1st and second round picks that you thought were good as well when we all know our recent history in those rounds have been pretty awful. Unless you consider drafting the likes of Lazar, Gagne, Englund to be good.

If we hadn't taken Chabot in 2015, we might be considered one of the worst drafting teams.

Edit: and just to add to this. We are the worst team in hockey 3 years running. That is absolutely a reflection of our recent drafting and how we value players. Its not the only factor, but the results of the 2012-2014 draft are a huge factor in us being a basement team.

Ok FQL. The article saying that we are the #1 best drafting team over the last 10 years is wrong, and you're right.

You heard it folks. The Sens cant draft well, it has all been a mirage. You've been shown the light by FQL.

Reactions: Xspyrit

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
What an idiotic take. Plenty of North American players with North American names that get reputations for being lazy, bad defensively and fall in the draft.

Well it wasn't meant to be very serious. But it actually has something to it at a superficial level - that these fans you mentioned who just look at the stats or a few highlights, just like the fans of a pop singer would just look at how she looks and how catchy the hooks are. Versus music critics or hockey scouts/experts who make a more in-depth, sophisticated analysis.

Plenty of other teams passed on him with picks just a few spots earlier. And Kaliyev doesnt have elite upside, even best-case scenario.
Players who have scored 50 goals in their 17 year old season in the past 20 years:
Alex Debrincat
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos

"no elite upside"

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
What an understatement lol

Some people whine 24/7 and it’s the others that are emotional wrecks. Like seriously

Its beyond frustrating, but really funny at the same time.

Here we are debating picks we didn't make, and not discussing our own prospects and some of the successes they've had so far this season. According to some they are just wasted picks after 3 months...

These posters, the same ones who seem to take over every thread with a "Sens can do no right" spin, get called out on their behaviour, and then act like they're victims of some sort.

Question to all you people hung up on the 2019 draft picks. If what you are doing is not considered whining, moaning, groaning, being upset, ect, ect ect, then what would you call whatever it is that your doing?

Enlightening us all? :laugh:. Seriously, give it up, move on and look at the prospects that we do have.

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
Its beyond frustrating, but really funny at the same time.

Here we are debating picks we didn't make, and not discussing our own prospects and some of the successes they've had so far this season. According to some they are just wasted picks after 3 months...

These posters, the same ones who seem to take over every thread with a "Sens can do no right" spin, get called out on their behaviour, and then act like they're victims of some sort.

Question to all you people hung up on the 2019 draft picks. If what you are doing is not considered whining, moaning, groaning, being upset, ect, ect ect, then what would you call whatever it is that your doing?

Enlightening us all? :laugh:. Seriously, give it up, move on and look at the prospects that we do have.

People are entitled to their opinion. But there's no reason to get emotional about it. It's really debating between prospects who probably won't ever make the NHL. Oh no, we picked this guy who was ranked 45, there was a guy ranked 30 available, what a terrible pick, I'm so upset right now. Like grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad