Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Kaliyev is a sick player, no pushback from me there, but that has to be the least transferable skill to the NHL level.

What on earth suggests that Pinto will be a 4th line player? He was a top player as a rookie in the USHL, produced similarly to Afanasyev & Mastosimone (and past players like N. Schmaltz & M. Pacioretty), he was by far the best player on his very good team in the playoffs, he has started out very well on a college team that is famous for not trusting rookies, he's a late bloomer, big kid, good on both sides of the puck.... so please, give me one reason why he's likely looking like a 4th line player???

Purely looking at his skill. Watched him live, and he didn't impress me. Scouting reports also suggested he's looking like a bottom 6 player, most likely becoming a RW more so than a C. He's trending into the Shane Bowers type (which I was never impressed with either).

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

+ Lafrenierre 25 pts in 10 games
+ Byfield 20 pts in 10 games

Will be nice if Gruden can have a big season. Him bein in London should also allow us to get a good read on Stranges.

Also while it seems there is a step down from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3/4, both Holtz and Raymond are off to nice starts in the SHL

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Its beyond frustrating, but really funny at the same time.

Here we are debating picks we didn't make, and not discussing our own prospects and some of the successes they've had so far this season. According to some they are just wasted picks after 3 months...

These posters, the same ones who seem to take over every thread with a "Sens can do no right" spin, get called out on their behaviour, and then act like they're victims of some sort.

Question to all you people hung up on the 2019 draft picks. If what you are doing is not considered whining, moaning, groaning, being upset, ect, ect ect, then what would you call whatever it is that your doing?

Enlightening us all? :laugh:. Seriously, give it up, move on and look at the prospects that we do have.

I think it's way more sad than funny. I totally endorse the "better laugh than cry" mentally but I guess it depends for what.

Right or wrong that Pinto was a bad choice (would have liked them to take a chance on Kaliyev, Brink or Lavoie so I was really not supportive of the pick and I did criticize it at the time), it's perfectly ok to criticize (if it's done in an adult manner) but this is not the point at all. It's about the manner they do it (and I'm not necessarily talking about the situation here). It is NOT criticism, it's pure bashing, name calling, disrespect, etc. Then, if you get offended because they are trashing out REAL people (the things I have read here on people like Murray, Ceci, Cowen, Ryan, Phillips, etc is truly pathetic), and if you call them out, you get either flamed/insulted or you get called an elitist or smarter/holier than you/whatever (or even an emotional wreck) when in fact they are the ones acting this way. People on the internet with the "he's trash" attitude are the elitists to me, like if they would do any better or if their crap was somehow golden.

I have a lot of respect for any artist/athlete as long as they are not murderers, rapists, etc. I have taken a lot of heat over the years standing for my principles that it's not because you dislike somebody that it is a reason to talk about that person like it was a piece of shit. I'm sure you can notice a pattern in the type who seem to dislike me, lol. Personally, I think the way people trash talk on the internet shows a profound despair and jealousy. It's sad.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
People are going to realize Gruden is a decent little player this year. The stat watchers were down on him after last season, but he's one of London's better forwards and (should) put up some good production.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
People are going to realize Gruden is a decent little player this year. The stat watchers were down on him after last season, but he's one of London's better forwards and (should) put up some good production.

Even based on stats, Gruden had a fine year last season... 5th in scoring amongst fwds on Miami. His team just sucked. Also its not like Gruden's bread and butter will be his offense. The thing I like most about him is that he's shown the ability to thrive with skilled players. I think he could be a Chris Kelly type from the left wing. Maybe with a bit more offensive IQ and shooting ability and less speed.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Will be nice if Gruden can have a big season. Him bein in London should also allow us to get a good read on Stranges.

Also while it seems there is a step down from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3/4, both Holtz and Raymond are off to nice starts in the SHL
Both good players . I like Raymond more but .. If we pick 3 or 4 they will likely be there. Be interesting to see what the Sens do in that scenario

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Soogard is dialed in right now.

Ottawa did their homework on him. If they considered him a 1st RD pick, definitely makes sense to have traded up for him.
Also dialed in: Soogard's 17yo backup with even better stats. He played 3 games vs Mads' 8 though.
Looks like they have a very good team in Medicine Hat this year.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Soogard is dialed in right now.

Ottawa did their homework on him. If they considered him a 1st RD pick, definitely makes sense to have traded up for him.
I know he's the furthest away, but I've recently been thinking he could end up the best G in our pipeline. But of course, something something goalies are voodoo.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
GM’s must view size as a major benefit in net with the huge goaltenders in the NHL today. Dustin Wolf fell to the seventh round because he’s 6ft. I would have personally taken the risk on a smaller goalie later on.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I know Nurmi was terrible last year but he seems to be off to a good start this year. Any chance he is signed and comes over next year?

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I know Nurmi was terrible last year but he seems to be off to a good start this year. Any chance he is signed and comes over next year?

Five points in 14 games for a 21 year old? A lot better than last year for sure but I'd already pretty much written him off as a legit NHL prospect. He'll need more than that for me to take him serious again.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
GM’s must view size as a major benefit in net with the huge goaltenders in the NHL today. Dustin Wolf fell to the seventh round because he’s 6ft. I would have personally taken the risk on a smaller goalie later on.

I've had a lot of hope in Juuse Saros for a while now, but every time I watch him this season he just keeps getting beat over his shoulders.

Starting to think NHL GMs aren't wrong to shy away from smaller goalies. I remember Bob McKenzie talking about a couple years ago, this is the "bar down" generation. These top young players coming up are just too good at picking those corners when they see them.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Soogard v Kastelic today, Medicine Hat took a 3-0 lead in 1st, Calgary goalie was pulled, Calgary then scored 6 straight goals and Soogard was pulled, Kastelic scored 2 goals for Calgary. Final score 6-3

Kastelic has 6g 2a in 5 games

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I've had a lot of hope in Juuse Saros for a while now, but every time I watch him this season he just keeps getting beat over his shoulders.

Starting to think NHL GMs aren't wrong to shy away from smaller goalies. I remember Bob McKenzie talking about a couple years ago, this is the "bar down" generation. These top young players coming up are just too good at picking those corners when they see them.

At the same time, unless people are giving kids some freaky stuff under the counter, there's only so many 6-foot-4+ bodies available in society. And outside of Canada, the majority of them won't be picking hockey goalie as their sport/position of choice. At some point, you have to look at the talent that isn't monster-sized.

Reactions: innocent bystander

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
At the same time, unless people are giving kids some freaky stuff under the counter, there's only so many 6-foot-4+ bodies available in society. And outside of Canada, the majority of them won't be picking hockey goalie as their sport/position of choice. At some point, you have to look at the talent that isn't monster-sized.

Good point. Seems that goalies around, say, 6'1 and up can still get by though. But anything much smaller than that I'm not sure.

This is why Saros is such an interesting case to watch, a litmus test if you will. Ridiculously talented, and has been a star at every level he's gone outside of the NHL. If he can make it big it kinda opens the door for small young goalie to be taken seriously again, but if he burns out then it's kinda like, "if he can't make it at 5'10 then who can?"

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Soogard v Kastelic today, Medicine Hat took a 3-0 lead in 1st, Calgary goalie was pulled, Calgary then scored 6 straight goals and Soogard was pulled, Kastelic scored 2 goals for Calgary. Final score 6-3

Kastelic has 6g 2a in 5 games

Here are the goals:

I know it is early but it will be interesting to see how his production is compared to last season.
Last season his stats were 66 GP 47 G 30 A 77 PTS
That is approximately 0.71 goals per game, 0.45 assists per game and 1.16 points per game.

This season his stats are 5 GP 6 G 2 A 8 PTS
That is good for 1.2 goals per game, 0.4 assists per game and 1.6 points per game.
Assuming he maintains this pace and he plays the same games as last season his stats line would read
66 GP 79 G 27 A 106 PTS

I guess we will see how his production goes over this season and whether he can maintain his current g/gp and pts/gp percentages.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Here are the goals:

I know it is early but it will be interesting to see how his production is compared to last season.
Last season his stats were 66 GP 47 G 30 A 77 PTS
That is approximately 0.71 goals per game, 0.45 assists per game and 1.16 points per game.

This season his stats are 5 GP 6 G 2 A 8 PTS
That is good for 1.2 goals per game, 0.4 assists per game and 1.6 points per game.
Assuming he maintains this pace and he plays the same games as last season his stats line would read
66 GP 79 G 27 A 106 PTS

I guess we will see how his production goes over this season and whether he can maintain his current g/gp and pts/gp percentages.

So a third line Brady? And Sabourin our fourth line Brady?
(Doubt he gets 79 goals :) )

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anybody following Olle Alsing's season? He's top 10 in scoring in the SHL as a 23 year old Dman, seems impressive but I don't have any idea of how he's actually played.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Anybody following Olle Alsing's season? He's top 10 in scoring in the SHL as a 23 year old Dman, seems impressive but I don't have any idea of how he's actually played.

Yeah I've actually watched quite a bit of Djurgården this year to see Holtz. I've seen two full games and bits of three others. Haven't paid as much attention to Alsing as I should have. Didn't take him very seriously as a prospect to start the year, but he's looked really good at that level. Shows a lot of offensive ability, there were times I thought he was a forward the way he gets involved in the offensive zone. Already 23 though, and I haven't seen anything that suggests he'll translate particularly well to the NHL, but I would say there is some potential there as an offensive defenseman. Next time I'll try to pay more attention to his defensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad