Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Ottawa could end up with another first in 2020 if not through a trade for a player, but maybe through using some of their assets. What does it cost to move into the first rd?

In past drafts I've seen two 2nd rd picks could get you into the late first rd & Ottawa has three second rd picks so far & they have several players that might get them more 2nd rd picks. It's possible that any one of Anderson, Pageau, Tierny, Namestikov, Anisimov & Duclair could get a 2nd rd pick & add to what they already have.

They could also use some of these assets to move up in the 1st rd, if they want to target a particular player using the assets they have to acquire the best players they can. They could have lots of options available to them to have the best draft ever IF the players they draft in the early rds pan out into very good to elite players.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I really only see Pageau/Tierney as being capable of getting 2nds in return. I'm not sure anyone would pay more than a 3rd for Anderson, Namestikov, Anisimov or Duclair.

Assuming San Jose's pick ends up being in the 10-20 range though, hopefully that could be packaged with a 2nd to move up.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How so? Can always trade him another year or two later. And we need good veterans to transition the rebuild.
Would rather get him as far away from the team ASAP then keep him longer here any longer.

The longer he’s here, the lower his value will be. His value will never be higher than it was last year, and I can’t see it being higher than it is now if he stays on the team.

Reactions: Cosmix

R2010

May 23, 2011
Would rather get him as far away from the team ASAP then keep him longer here any longer.

The longer he’s here, the lower his value will be. His value will never be higher than it was last year, and I can’t see it being higher than it is now if he stays on the team.

I think he's a fine 3rd line centre. Not sure where the big concern is with his game. He plays hard and passes decently.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Let's see what's the best future team we can assemble for the FYOUS with what we have, supplemented with future picks and FA acquisitions:

Tkachuk - White - FA/pick (2020 1st rounder?)
FA/pick (or Duclair?) - Brown - Batherson
Formenton - Norris - Davidsson
Abramov/Balcers - Pinto/Chlapik - Verroneau/...

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Lassi
Lajoie/Jaros

Hogberg
Gustavsson
Sogaard

Am I missing anyone? If everyone develops well and the future FA/picks pan out, is this a team that can contend? If not, what do we need to do to fix it?

To me it seems that the top 6 will need a homerun with the pick/FA wingers to be truly elite, cause Brown and White could be OK #2C but not dominating ones (shades of the years between Yashin and Spezza, and also the post-Spezza years until Duchene). Also, the defense looks mobile, but could use some muscle. We need to magically turn Zaitsev or Jaros into Methot.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Agreed. If we wanted the best return, he should have been traded this past summer. It's only downhill from here on for Tierney.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Future Team in 3 yrs:
Byfield - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - ??? (Veronneau)
Formenton - Norris - ??? (Davidsson)
Paul - Pinto - Kastelic/Gruden

- IMO the RW needs to be upgraded, hopefully they will address this in the next few drafts.

Chabot - ??? (Thomson)
Wolanin - JBD
Lajoie - Jaros/Guénette

- I'd trade Brannstrom, Thomson, Veronneau & Davidsson for better players to replace the ??? or picks.

Askarov - Hogberg/Daccord

- IMO Askorov will be a better goalie than any goalie presently in Ottawa's organization.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Future Team in 3 yrs:
Byfield - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - ??? (Veronneau)
Formenton - Norris - ??? (Davidsson)
Paul - Pinto - Kastelic/Gruden

- IMO the RW needs to be upgraded, hopefully they will address this in the next few drafts.

Chabot - ??? (Thomson)
Wolanin - JBD
Lajoie - Jaros/Guénette

- I'd trade Brannstrom, Thomson, Veronneau & Davidsson for better players to replace the ??? or picks.

Askarov - Hogberg/Daccord

- IMO Askorov will be a better goalie than any goalie presently in Ottawa's organization.

Abramov could fill a T-9 RW position. Or put Byfield at C and move Colin White to the wing

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Duclair will be 25 in three years. Im shocked you have no interest in keeping him yet your pencilling in 10 forwards that haven't yet stepped on NHL ice (figuratively, I know Bath has played a game etc). A bunch of those kids haven't even scored an AHL point yet.

If the Sens draft Byfield he will be play C in 3 years. White is a 3C-4C or a 2RW and think it more likely he transitions into a winger. I think his game has more responsible winger than shut down C in it. I think Pinto is a winger too but who knows where his development goes.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Duclair will be 25 in three years. Im shocked you have no interest in keeping him yet your pencilling in 10 forwards that haven't yet stepped on NHL ice (figuratively, I know Bath has played a game etc). A bunch of those kids haven't even scored an AHL point yet.

If the Sens draft Byfield he will be play C in 3 years. White is a 3C-4C or a 2RW and think it more likely he transitions into a winger. I think his game has more responsible winger than shut down C in it. I think Pinto is a winger too but who knows where his development goes.
Duclair is 24 years old

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I think byfield will be our top line center next year if drafted

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Keeping him would be worse than a poor return IMO.
I disagree, we can trade him at the draft if we need to. J.T. Miller got a 2020 1st. Let's see what kind of year he has, but if it's slightly better than last year, we could easily package Tierney for a third 1st. Probably a later one but still. He pushed out 2C production last year. Albeit with a couple of better pieces. But still.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think he's a fine 3rd line centre. Not sure where the big concern is with his game. He plays hard and passes decently.
Shooting, skating, defensive play. Not a player you want out against good opposition, easy player to defend since you know he can't beat you with his legs or is a threat to score.

Not a valuable player at all, he's just filler. Would hope we wouldnt waste any salary space on him in the future. Definitely dump him ASAP.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Abramov could fill a T-9 RW position. Or put Byfield at C and move Colin White to the wing
Yes, they can fill a RW spot with a left shot buy I'm suggesting they acquire better players than those guys who are actual RWers, a guy like Julien Gauthier RW from Carolina. I also think that White stays at centre, management & coaching seem to want him centering Tkachuk & IMO have groomed him to be a centre on this team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, they can fill a RW spot with a left shot buy I'm suggesting they acquire better players than those guys who are actual RWers, a guy like Julien Gauthier RW from Carolina. I also think that White stays at centre, management & coaching seem to want him centering Tkachuk & IMO have groomed him to be a centre on this team.

Yes, management have given White the opportunity to be a center; however I am not certain if he will be a second line Center on a very good team (i.e., a top quartile team which would be a SC contender).

I am willing to give Abramov more time to show what he can do; however, I am concerned about his size and durability. Yes I too would rather have a bigger more physical player.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Sleepin on Crookshank. deserves to be there more than novak and burgess. Also not willing to give up on Tychonic just yet. He was drafted as a very raw prospect so a slow start was a likely possibility, very much a good long term prospect still

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wonder why Crookshank is absent. He seems like a very good prospect and he has performed well from a points perspective.
Agree on Crookshank .. seems like an omission, Dylan Hollaway at 8 is interesting. He's typically ranked in that 10-15 range for the 2020 draft. Likely have to move up with the SJ pick if we wanted him but not like trying to move up into the top 5.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Agree on Crookshank .. seems like an omission, Dylan Hollaway at 8 is interesting. He's typically ranked in that 10-15 range for the 2020 draft. Likely have to move up with the SJ pick if we wanted him but not like trying to move up into the top 5.

As for Holloway, I think the San Jose pick will be fairly high this year. It would be great if it ended up inside the top ten, but it also seems quite possible that it could be in the 10 to 20 range. Players like Dylan Holloway and possibly Tim Stutzle could be available in that range. If we miss out on Holloway we could also look to draft Carter Savoie in the 2nd round. Savoie might end up outproducing Holloway at the AJHL level. It would be interesting to see a comparison of those players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad