Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Very nice, what was Kaliyev up to tonight?

I don't mind Kaliyev as a prospect. He'll certainly score a lot of goals at the pro level - maybe even in the NHL. I'm really glad the Sens didn't pick him though. It will be hard for him to do more good than harm for his NHL team. Not impossible though - I could foresee a situation if he ends up on a really good team, where he could be sheltered on a good second or third line and feast on average competition. And then of course he's one of the most dangerous powerplay players from the 2019 draft. But at even strength you have to be able to get out of your own zone and make plays through the neutral zone in order to score at the NHL level. Kaliyev will be a significant negative corsi influencer if he makes it to the Show, and will have to be used very smartly by his coach. Again, I don't hate the prospect, and think he could very well end up a useful NHL player if developed and used properly, but I'm happy the Sens didn't pick him at 32.

On the flip side, Pinto wasn't exactly my first choice for the 32nd pick either. Personally I was hoping for Kochetkov, Höglander, Korzcak, or maybe even Bobby Brink. But I wasn't disappointed with the pick. Pinto was a monster on the boards and in front of the net at the USHL level, which is a good sign for NHL translatability. Good skater, excellent shot. Really smart, hard-working and versatile. Much more likely than Kaliyev to be a valuable NHL player - ceilling is a guy who can play center or wing, anywhere throughout the top nine (second or third line on a good team), and be a regular on the PK. Maybe he could play the net-front on the PP, but probably only on a second unit, or a top unit on a bad team.

Maybe Kaliyev turns into Mike Hoffman and I eat my words, but I think a more likely best-case scenario is Bobby Ryan. A player who's really good on the powerplay, and can be effective 5on5, but spends too much time in his own zone and is best suited on a secondary scoring line. And I think even more likely than that, he will be a really good player in Europe or the AHL.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Scored all 4 of Hamilton's goals last night, lol

I am getting the feeling that people who like Kaliyev are taking this four goal game as an "I told you so". But he already had 51 goals and 102 points as a 17 year old last year and most scouts and a lot of fans still weren't that high on him. So I don't expect scoring even more in junior is going to change that.

It would be like if there was some fan-favorite pop singer who was critically panned as a bad musician but was really hot. And then she gets a boob-job and her fans are like "See!"

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
2019 draft was another head scratching moment brought to us by Your Ottawa Senators high fiving machine

Why is that? Pinto looks great so far?

We never draft the Ho-Sang or Sprong type of players with our high picks, and it has never really bit us hard in the ass before either. So I dont know why any of us get upset when we continue to not do it.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I was hoping Tychonic pulled a Gruden and went to the juniors for a bigger opportunity.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

We never draft the Ho-Sang or Sprong type of players with our high picks, and it has never really bit us hard in the ass before either. So I dont know why any of us get upset when we continue to not do it.
Almost every single pick was a reach besides Thomson. We can already write off Lodin and that was obvious from the second we took him. It was a head scratching draft all the way down until we got to Guennette.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Almost every single pick was a reach besides Thomson. We can already write off Lodin and that was obvious from the second we took him. It was a head scratching draft all the way down until we got to Guennette.

Some picks like Thompson, Sogaard and Pinto look great so far.

Some dont.

A bit too early to say one way or another though...imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

upset huh? man some of you people must live on a razor thin emotional edge.
My opinion on the draft. You don't see it , I am not going to explain it to you.

Not every skilled player can be lopped in with attitude problem players like Hosang and Sprong.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
upset huh? man some of you people must live on a razor thin emotional edge.
My opinion on the draft. You don't see it , I am not going to explain it to you.

Not every skilled player can be lopped in with attitude problem players like Hosang and Sprong.
Everyone that disagrees is an emotional wreck? Didn't you get the memo at the abusive husband expo?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad