Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Just going by the stats, it looks like Sogaard isn't doing that great. My guess is that his winning record is a result of the good team in front of him. It's disappointing. I was hoping Sogaard would be one of our top prospects.

ness180

Jan 27, 2012
Pinto 1G and JBD with the primary assist on the goal. Tychonick picked up an assist in the game and was +6. Tychonick has really stepped up after Christmas break. He really should be playing every game here on out. UND won 8-1 vs Colorado College.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Pinto 1G and JBD with the primary assist on the goal. Tychonick picked up an assist in the game and was +6. Tychonick has really stepped up after Christmas break. He really should be playing every game here on out. UND won 8-1 vs Colorado College.

That is a sweet one time finish. Starting to get hype for Pinto.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just going by the stats, it looks like Sogaard isn't doing that great. My guess is that his winning record is a result of the good team in front of him. It's disappointing. I was hoping Sogaard would be one of our top prospects.

He just turned 19 y/o, only his Draft+1 year. We all know "goalies take time to develop". Look at Daccord, Hogberg, Driedger, Lehner, etc. Sogaard is a 6'7 monster, only 201 lbs, very athletic and very quick for that frame. He is still very raw but his potential is huge. If he puts it all together, he could be a top goalie but we'll have to be patient lke we have to be patient with Gustavsson

He would be a top prospect on many teams, he probably just makes the top-20 on the Sens pool but we know it's circumstantial because of the 10 great/good prospects we acquired as a result of trading our best players.

I wouldn't read too much on his junior stats for now. Sometimes being on a top team doesn't translate in favorable stats. There could be many reasons for that, not getting a lot of shots but when the goalie does, it's mostly good or high scoring chances. Team could get comfortable leads and let the foot off the gas pedal, etc.

What is important for now is that he has incredible size and tools, he will need time to develop.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Man JBD has soooo much offense to show that I feel team canada put on a leash.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I wonder what they'll do with him. Let him re enter the draft, or will they maybe trade his rights or one of the other goalies?

A year from now we probably can't realistically have all of Mandolese, Soogard, D'Accord, Hogberg, and Gustavsson under contract. Might be a best case scenario if Seattle takes one of them at the expansion draft though.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I wonder what they'll do with him. Let him re enter the draft, or will they maybe trade his rights or one of the other goalies?

A year from now we probably can't realistically have all of Mandolese, Soogard, D'Accord, Hogberg, and Gustavsson under contract. Might be a best case scenario if Seattle takes one of them at the expansion draft though.

He's been way too good to let re-enter the draft. Maybe they can loan Søgaard to Europe somewhere? Or let one of them stay in junior over-age.

Reactions: derriko and Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Why not? Mandolese could play in Brampton next season in the ECHL? Sogaard may not be offered a contract just yet & should most likely go back to junior or Europe. Hogberg should graduate to Ottawa, he is clearly NHL ready & one of Anderson or Nilsson should get traded at the deadline, likely Anderson. That leaves Daccord & Gustavsson in Belleville. It seems like the likely scenario does it not?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Of for sure, but this guy is looking pretty good, rather than a bust.
Hard to tell with goalies, especially when you don't have much room in the organisation with both contracts and positions. Teams usually won't use 6 of their 50 contracts on goalies, the backup positions in the ECHL and AHL are usually guys signed to AHL and ECHL contracts.

Mandolese's numbers are not much different than Brassards (though better, also a 6th round pick) were when the Sens let him go back into the draft in 2014.

Both Soogard and Mandolese are 2000's, both are eligible for the AHL/ECHL next year. We already have Nilsson and Hogberg with the big club, and already have Gus and Daacord for Belleville. The Sens only have 2 spots for goalies in their pro ranks in North America next year, both in the ECHL, and very rarely does a team use 2 young prospects in the ECHL.

I would assume they are higher on Soogard for sure, trading up to get him in the 2nd. Unless they can get him over to Europe, I don't see much room to add 2 guys to our NA pro ranks.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hard to tell with goalies, especially when you don't have much room in the organisation with both contracts and positions. Teams usually won't use 6 of their 50 contracts on goalies, the backup positions in the ECHL and AHL are usually guys signed to AHL and ECHL contracts.

Mandolese's numbers are not much different than Brassards (though better, also a 6th round pick) were when the Sens let him go back into the draft in 2014.

Both Soogard and Mandolese are 2000's, both are eligible for the AHL/ECHL next year. We already have Nilsson and Hogberg with the big club, and already have Gus and Daacord for Belleville. The Sens only have 2 spots for goalies in their pro ranks in North America next year, both in the ECHL, and very rarely does a team use 2 young prospects in the ECHL.

I would assume they are higher on Soogard for sure, trading up to get him in the 2nd. Unless they can get him over to Europe, I don't see much room to add 2 guys to our NA pro ranks.

Agreed, but we also have to be worried about the expansion draft, and to be honest, we should probably be ahead of the trend and fill all of the organizational goalie spots with prospects.

They are so hit and miss, as you say, so we probably should look to widen our options, given how important the position is. 6 spots for a position that is usually, singularly, make or break for a season/playoffs.

It would be a shame to have to give up assets down the road, and it would be a shame to not event do a small AHL type deal for a guy that’s doing pretty well, but hey, there’s more going on behind the scenes than I know.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
a so - so draft +1 year doesn't define him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed, but we also have to be worried about the expansion draft, and to be honest, we should probably be ahead of the trend and fill all of the organizational goalie spots with prospects.

They are so hit and miss, as you say, so we probably should look to widen our options, given how important the position is. 6 spots for a position that is usually, singularly, make or break for a season/playoffs.

It would be a shame to have to give up assets down the road, and it would be a shame to not event do a small AHL type deal for a guy that’s doing pretty well, but hey, there’s more going on behind the scenes than I know.

This is literally the stated reason the org gave for drafting Soogard in the first place when we already had Gustavsson, Hogberg and Daccord as promising prospects (not to mention Mandolese who had yet to show much).

If we had a clear heir to the #1 starter role for next year, we could trade off Nilsson, I guess too many good prospects is a good problem to have but sadly, promising goalie prospects don't have much value in trades and there are only so many spots to fill so we won't likely reap much of a reward even if all our guys succeed.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Why not? Mandolese could play in Brampton next season in the ECHL? Sogaard may not be offered a contract just yet & should most likely go back to junior or Europe. Hogberg should graduate to Ottawa, he is clearly NHL ready & one of Anderson or Nilsson should get
traded at the deadline, likely Anderson. That leaves Daccord & Gustavsson in Belleville. It seems like the likely scenario does it not?

This.

And outside of Nilsson who we will likely have to expose unless we take an RFA goalie back at the deadline (and waive him), none of our younger goalies are expansion draft eligible.

There is zero cause for concern with Sogaard. Good play or bad, check back in in 2 years. Until then he’s more or less a crap shoot like any non blue chip goaltending prospect.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

Correct me if I’m wrong but Sogaard is not AHL eligible next year as he will be 19 when the season starts.

Also technically both him and Mandolese could play in Jr. as overagers, Mandolese next year, Sogaard the 21-22 season.
Lots of options on where to slot these guys in until Gus and Daccord show where they stand within the org.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Correct me if I’m wrong but Sogaard is not AHL eligible next year as he will be 19 when the season starts.

Also technically both him and Mandolese could play in Jr. as overagers, Mandolese next year, Sogaard the 21-22 season.
Lots of options on where to slot these guys in until Gus and Daccord show where they stand within the org.

You can play in AHL as long as you'll be turning 20 that calendar year.

Søgaard will be over-aged next season. Again, it goes by birth year. In order to save the contract spot, technically we could keep Søgaard in WHL for his over-age season but that's highly unusual for a second round pick. Usually only late rounders stay over-aged. It would be ideal if we could get him playing in Europe somewhere, as I'm pretty sure we would still get the one more year to sign him.

Mandolese could stay over-aged but we still have to sign him so he doesn't re-enter the draft, and he has nothing left to prove at the junior level. Would be better for him to play ECHL.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

No Soogard ca play in the AHL next year. Both of their overage seasons are next year.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Its going to be a perfect storm for the Sens after the expansion draft. Every other team gets worse, while we improve not only through cutting dead weight, but also through the maturation of our strong prospect group.

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Its going to be a perfect storm for the Sens after the expansion draft. Every other team gets worse, while we improve not only through cutting dead weight, but also through the maturation of our strong prospect group.

Cross the fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad