Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't really have an issue with this - and you need one who can play top six minutes. A fourth liner doesn't count.

Nowadays, I'm not sure if you need more than two. Skating is a must though. Playoff hockey is even faster and there's no point being tough if you're going to be late to the party everywhere you go.

Tkachuk obviously knows this based on his focus on improving his skating.

it would be great to have another big tough top 6 forward but I do not rule out some extra toughness on the 4th line, which would mean a heavyweight like Reaves.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You've got Norris and Formenton on the way, both of whom should be over 200 lbs in a few years. I don't know if Logan Brown will ever be considered a tough player but he's big now and only going to get bigger. Batherson is big. Shane Pinto has good size and plays a gritty game.

i like those prospects too. Hopefully they develop their physical play to include a tough physical game to complement their skills.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
i like those prospects too. Hopefully they develop their physical play to include a tough physical game to complement their skills.

As long as they don't get too big and lose their speed.

It seems to be a tricky balancing act.

Interestingly, Duclair got away from the weight room and started training with a sprinter instead.

Duclair fully admitted that consistency was an issue for him. So was conditioning. It wasn’t a strength problem, but a cardio one that might have held him back.

So Duclair went outside the box. He cut out lengthy gym sessions.

He hired Wladimir Afriani, a Haitian-born sprinter, and he trained with basketball players – no other hockey players. Hockey players are notoriously poor runners, but he spent his time at the track and on the field. Duclair tapped into his genes; his uncle, Farell Duclair, was a fullback in the CFL and his father, Wendell, was a wide receiver at Concordia University.

“All these basketball players do is run all the time. They’re way better runners than me and I think that’s pushed me to another level,” Duclair said. “Being in a different environment, instead of just around hockey players, I think that refreshes your mind a little bit, helps you get a different perspective on things.”

Anthony Duclair finally finds a fit with Senators - TSN.ca

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As long as they don't get too big and lose their speed.

It seems to be a tricky balancing act.

Interestingly, Duclair got away from the weight room and started training with a sprinter instead.

Anthony Duclair finally finds a fit with Senators - TSN.ca

For Duclair, the addition of muscle probably did not add sufficient benefits, but the addition of speed did. You seldom see a player with both. Ovechkin has both and is a superstar.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Sounds like you do

There is a very real difference between hating somebody, and not liking them... And yes, I dislike Dany as a person, I think his character is really weak. And he was a me first/selfish hockey player. But my hate for him is long gone, that left after his career fell off of a steep cliff.

But is any Sens fan going to pretend that it wasnt at least a bit satisfying to see Dany boy get humbled like he did after he left Ottawa, they are clearly lying, or they're some kind of self righteous egomaniac that thinks they're better than everyone else.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But is any Sens fan going to pretend that it wasnt at least a bit satisfying to see Dany boy get humbled like he did after he left Ottawa, they are clearly lying, or they're some kind of self righteous egomaniac that thinks they're better than everyone else.

I just remember hearing on HF about how he would "obviously" score tons more goals playing with a legitimate future HoFer and playmaking maestro like Joe Thornton as opposed to a flaky injury-prone centre like Jason Spezza.

It's funny to think that Dany Heatley, Martin Havlat and Erik Karlsson all went to the Sharks in their "primes" and didn't really live up to their potential.

Well, maybe that's unfair to Havlat who went to Chicago and Minnesota first and was pretty done by the time he hit SJ.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I just remember hearing on HF about how he would "obviously" score tons more goals playing with a legitimate future HoFer and playmaking maestro like Joe Thornton as opposed to a flaky injury-prone centre like Jason Spezza.

It's funny to think that Dany Heatley, Martin Havlat and Erik Karlsson all went to the Sharks in their "primes" and didn't really live up to their potential.

Well, maybe that's unfair to Havlat who went to Chicago and Minnesota first and was pretty done by the time he hit SJ.

I felt really bad for Spezza when everyone and their dog jumped on board with the though that Heatley was going to explode with Thornton, as if a prime Spezza was some second class talent holding him back.... I mean like f***, even his supposed good buddy Ray Emery came out and said Heatley was going to score 60 with big Joe when he was asked the question.

And yes - as someone whos best friend & rival is a sharks fan, and after having to endure him pointing and then laughing at me like a hyena after the big trades (and what appeared to be lopsided wins for the sharks at the time) - it was incredibly funny and refreshing to see them take a huge steps back from the superstars that they were in Ottawa. Justice was served.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Heatley was a great hockey player in his time here with the Senators & the best pure goal scorer who ever played here. They should never have let him go & should have fired the peewee coach instead. Luckily they got Michalek for him, but he wasn't anywhere near as good as Heatley was & his career did take a nose dive once he left here.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Spezza was a pretty spectacular player in his own right. Personally I believe that lockouts and injuries cost him a legit shot at the HoF

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Heatley was a great hockey player in his time here with the Senators & the best pure goal scorer who ever played here. They should never have let him go & should have fired the peewee coach instead. Luckily they got Michalek for him, but he wasn't anywhere near as good as Heatley was & his career did take a nose dive once he left here.

Is that what happened?

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is that what happened?
Based on what I have heard there was definitely a dispute between Clouston & Heatley, some said over PP time, but the talk at the time was they didn't get along & Heatley wanted out. Of course, there were other rumours as well surrounding some shannigans with wives again which I find a little harder to believe, but who really knows for sure.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Michalek’s career nose-dived while he was with the Senators. Dorion should not have signed him to his last contract because the decline had started and he was playing out his career on retirement.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Based on what I have heard there was definitely a dispute between Clouston & Heatley, some said over PP time, but the talk at the time was they didn't get along & Heatley wanted out. Of course, there were other rumours as well surrounding some shannigans with wives again which I find a little harder to believe, but who really knows for sure.

wives know everything! :)

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Pinto with the only goal of the game on the PP for UND to win the game 1-0.

I am trying to figure out who he reminds me of and I keep coming back to a less skilled Joe Pavelski. He doesn’t wow you with his skating, dangles or size but he has a great scoring touch and hockey mind to be at the right spot at the right times around the net. That’s hard to teach.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Chris Wilkie (who we got for Jack Rodewald) is second in NCAA in Goals (17), 1st in total shots and shots per game (5.48)
He plays against North Dakota Senators today.

Reactions: DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Chris Wilkie (who we got for Jack Rodewald) is second in NCAA in Goals (17), 1st in total shots and shots per game (5.48)
He plays against North Dakota Senators today.

Important to note that he's in his D+5 season. I'd like to see him on a PTO at the end of the year but wary of using a contract spot on him. He'll be 24 in 6 months.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Anyone know what's going on in Medicine Hat?

Sogaard is 15-10-2 with a 0.899 save percentage but the other goalie, Bjorklund (2020 draft), has a slightly higher save percentage at 0.901 but with an insanely better record of 17-3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad