Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Prospect Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
If we are talking the 22-23 season: Then I think the center position looks like:
Aho
2020 draft* (especially if Toronto is out of playoffs)
Wallmark
Staal (his last year under contract)

* With a top 15 pick the Canes could land Zary, Holloway, Lapierre, or Bourque. All seem to have higher upside than Suzuki.
I could See Luostarinen as 4C if Staal is moved in 21-22.
My guess is Necas becomes a faster (but not quite as good at passing and D) version of Teravainen on the wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we are talking the 22-23 season: Then I think the center position looks like:
Aho
2020 draft* (especially if Toronto is out of playoffs)
Wallmark
Staal (his last year under contract)

* With a top 15 pick the Canes could land Zary, Holloway, Lapierre, or Bourque. All seem to have higher upside than Suzuki.
I could See Luostarinen as 4C if Staal is moved in 21-22.
My guess is Necas becomes a faster (but not quite as good at passing and D) version of Teravainen on the wing.

I'm betting that the Toronto 1st is going to be in the 20s range. I don't see any way they miss the playoffs and with how bad some of the western teams are, that will put Toronto their pick in the 20s regardless of what they do in the playoffs. If they do well in the playoffs, it will be even later.

So I "think" our picks will be later part of round 1. If that is the case and nothing else changes, our 9 picks in this upcoming will be as follows:

Round 1: TOR (from Marleau deal), CAR
Round 2: NYR (from Fox deal), CAR
Round 3: BUF (from Skinner deal), CAR
Round 4: CAR
Round 5: None (CAR 5th moved to STL in Faulk deal)
Round 6: None (BUF 6th from Skinner deal moved to FLA in Reimer deal, CAR 6th moved to TOR in Marleau deal)
Round 7: TOR (from Marleau deal), CAR

9 picks total with 6 of them being in the first 3 rounds. If the Canes do like they did this last draft, that could end up being more than 9.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm betting that the Toronto 1st is going to be in the 20s range. I don't see any way they miss the playoffs and with how bad some of the western teams are, that will put Toronto their pick in the 20s regardless of what they do in the playoffs. If they do well in the playoffs, it will be even later.

So I "think" our picks will be later part of round 1. If that is the case and nothing else changes, our 9 picks in this upcoming will be as follows:

Round 1: TOR (from Marleau deal), CAR
Round 2: NYR (from Fox deal), CAR
Round 3: BUF (from Skinner deal), CAR
Round 4: CAR
Round 5: None (CAR 5th moved to STL in Faulk deal)
Round 6: None (BUF 6th from Skinner deal moved to FLA in Reimer deal, CAR 6th moved to TOR in Marleau deal)
Round 7: TOR (from Marleau deal), CAR

9 picks total with 6 of them being in the first 3 rounds. If the Canes do like they did this last draft, that could end up being more than 9.
Agree. With the variation in eval of prospects from 11-100 we may move down to add picks later / future drafts.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Agreed—under the new coach Toronto has made up tons of ground.
It does look like there will be some high-ceiling options available in that range (I will post in the draft thread).

The weaker Atlantic really helps the Leafs. Also, Keefe plays the game more to their roster's strengths, which basically is outscore the opposition as much as possible. Still, though, two picks in the 20s is nothing to scoff at.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Scorching Hot Take: Charlotte is the Tampa Bay of the AHL this year. They're looking, all of a sudden, like an excellent team again. I've really been impressed, in particular, with how the bottom-6 have performed within that span, after a slow start. Lorentz has surprisingly emerged as a scoring threat from the 3rd line pivot after mostly being a fringe AHL player last year. Pritchard has also looked like a vastly better player after his ECHL stint, particularly defensively. Bishop is a penalty-killing and fundamentals machine, like he usually is, and he's only gotten better this year in those categories (Charlotte has the best PK in the AHL, and Bishop is probably the main reason for that). Kaski also seems like a much better fit with Charlotte than he was in Grand Rapids, though it's still early.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Darren Yorke offers insights on Canes prospects in World Juniors

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com

Dominik Bokk (Germany): 8 points (6g, 2a) in seven games

Forward Dominik Bokk, who the Hurricanes acquired along with Joel Edmundson from St. Louis in September, finished the tournament as the top player for Germany, as selected by the coaches. He led his team in goals (6) and points (8) in seven games.
"Dominik played well. For him, it was great to have some success," said Darren Yorke, the Canes Director of Player Personnel, who was in Czech Republic for the tournament. "His assets were there for everyone to see in terms of the high-end skill, vision, a great shot. He can really make plays that few players can see."
Patrik Puistola (Finland): 8 points (5g, 3a) in seven games
Forward Patrik Puistola, selected by the Canes in the third round (73rd overall) of the 2019 NHL Draft, led Finland in goals (5) and ranked second in points (8) in seven games. Puistola, named one of the three best players for his team, ranked tied for first on the team in power-play goals (2) and paced the Finns in shots on goal (24).
"He's got such a great ability in front of the net to give himself space," Yorke said. "He's so dangerous in front of the net. They played him with Kristian Tanus, and him and Kristian have such unique chemistry. They were able to find one another, and it really helped drive their offense."
Bokk, Puistola Impress at World Juniors

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Craig Button updated his top 50 prospects listing. It's a competitive listing as there are first rounders from last 2-3 drafts and late-bloomers who might be older but dominating elsewhere like Kaprizov.

Was interesting to note that since Necas has graduated there are no Canes in this listing. Would have expected Bean (and potentially Gauthier, Suzuki) to make an appearance but nope. It seems like there are no true blue chippers at the moment in the system. Bean, Suzuki, Gauthier, Kuokkanen etc etc would be in the 50-100 spots I guess.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Craig Button updated his top 50 prospects listing. It's a competitive listing as there are first rounders from last 2-3 drafts and late-bloomers who might be older but dominating elsewhere like Kaprizov.

Was interesting to note that since Necas has graduated there are no Canes in this listing. Would have expected Bean (and potentially Gauthier, Suzuki) to make an appearance but nope. It seems like there are no true blue chippers at the moment in the system. Bean, Suzuki, Gauthier, Kuokkanen etc etc would be in the 50-100 spots I guess.

I take Button’s list with a pretty big grain of salt . He seems to really really let how players fared in the WJCs affect his opinion of them, recency bias there is pretty evident.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I take Button’s list with a pretty big grain of salt . He seems to really really let how players fared in the WJCs affect his opinion of them, recency bias there is pretty evident.

True is some cases - Hofer has no business in a top-50 list and wasn't even that good in the WJC - but Bokk and Puistola were two of the better forwards in the tournament.

Button has always been a terrible evaluator. More about clicks than anything.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think it’s true we’ve graduated our last blue chipper.

there's a real case to be made for dominik bokk after his showing in the u20. every time he's played against kids his age his numbers have gone ballistic. i don't know a lot about what has changed with his situation in the shl, but he's clearly in a situation there that isn't favorable. st. louis is the team that made the loan arrangement with his shl club and now that he's no longer a member of that organization, any marching orders they had regarding conditions of the loan were subsequently irrelevant. nhl clubs that loan players to different leagues want a certain degree of confidence that both parties will do the best they can by the player and often make informal agreements regarding opportunity, usage, etc. if they had an informal arrangement they no longer have to honor, they have far less incentive to deal with a 19 year old player going through a rough transition. they're trying to win games.

my presumption is that carolina will elect to start him in charlotte next season and we'll get to see where he's at then, but i'm trying not to let the circumstances surrounding his poor stat line in the shl diminish what i saw in the tournament. there's a lot to work with in the skill department.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Ned seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of goalies.
I have been replied into submission regarding a goalie winning games. So the true measuring sticks must be sv% and GAA. Ned was much better than Samsonov last season and his numbers are pretty equivalent to Georgiev the past two AHL seasons.

Seriously, I understand size, playing style, quality of the team in front of the goalie all matter. Ned is small and super-aggressive. Still, at some point results should matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad