Line Combos: 2019-2020 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Using only the guys who they've got now (assuming no new FAs or trades), I'm starting camp with:

63-37-88
74-46-Ritchie
43-13-Senyshyn
20-52-14

33-73
47-25
48-75

Miller and Moore injured, the 3 young D playing all situations in Providence

Hopefully, Bruins are able to get a top-6 W with the Cap hit gained by trading Backes+Miller.

If not, I start with this:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Heinen-Coyle-Senyshyn/Stud/Steen
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Kuhlman

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton
UV/Kampfer/Moore

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I think Jake has played some RW over the past few seasons with this team so why not try him on the top line? I don't think him and Krejci fit very well together.

Marshy-Bergy-Debrusk
XXXX-Krejci-Pasta
Heinen-Coyle-Bjork
Wagner-Kuraly-Ritchie
Kuhlman/Nordstrom

Vaak-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Chara-Clifton
Gryz

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Assuming no trades other than that of Miller, Backes on LTIR/in Providence, no signing of Jojo, etc.:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Heinen-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Coyle-Senyshyn
Nordstromg/Par-Kuraly-Wagner/Kuhlman/Ritchie

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Chara-Clifton
Moore

Each of the three lines has a shooter. Having Debrusk on the third line helps to balance the scoring. Chara really should not be on the first or second pairing, but I'm sure that we'll see him again as a top-pairing D with McAvoy, unfortunately.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Assuming no trades other than that of Miller, Backes on LTIR/in Providence, no signing of Jojo, etc.:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Heinen-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Coyle-Senyshyn
Nordstromg/Par-Kuraly-Wagner/Kuhlman/Ritchie

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Chara-Clifton
Moore

Each of the three lines has a shooter. Having Debrusk on the third line helps to balance the scoring. Chara really should not be on the first or second pairing, but I'm sure that we'll see him again as a top-pairing D with McAvoy, unfortunately.

I like this one. I don't think Krejci should play with two defensive liabilities in DeBrusk and Pasta. Heinen might help him quite a bit. Bjork looked pretty good a while back on that first line too. Grz and McAvoy has potential to be a dominant top pairing for the Bruins.

I'd be really eager to see Krejci play a bit with Steen too, since I think he's exactly the kind of player Krejci needs. Great forechecker and smart defensively while also has good vision and skill. Might take a bit for him to get accustomed to North America.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
If I'm Cassidy, Kuhlman is dressing every game he's healthy. Hell of a first year of pro hockey, numbers at Providence are misleading since he started slow and then started putting up points. Scored 0.4 PPG with a +8 in his first 19 NHL games (regular season & playoffs) with a solid 2 way game, fast, disciplined, north-south.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Kuhlman
Kuraly/(Bjork)-Coyle-Heinen

That's my top 9 anyway, with a competition in camp to win the 3rd line spot & move Kuraly down to 4th: ideally a healthy Bjork, maybe Frederic.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pasta

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- XXXXX

Heinen -- Coyle -- XXXXX

Nordstrom -- Kuraly -- Wagner

extras: Lindholm, Ritchie

XXXX = Backes, Kulhman, Senyshyn, Bjork, Ritchie, Cehlarik

Grz -- McAvoy

Krug -- Carlo

Chara -- Clifton

extras: Moore (IR), Miller

Something's obviously got to give here. The brass is most likely working on trading a piece or two to make roster room and clear some cap space.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pasta

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- XXXXX

Heinen -- Coyle -- XXXXX

Nordstrom -- Kuraly -- Wagner

extras: Lindholm, Ritchie

XXXX = Backes, Kulhman, Senyshyn, Bjork, Ritchie, Cehlarik

Grz -- McAvoy

Krug -- Carlo

Chara -- Clifton

extras: Moore (IR), Miller

Something's obviously got to give here. The brass is most likely working on trading a piece or two to make roster room and clear some cap space.
I think Kuhlman has definitely earned one of those top 9 RW spots. I'd put him in with confidence. I am very hopeful that Studnicka will be able to step in next year, but it's a pretty big wildcard.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Marsh - Bergy - Pasta
Heinen - Krejci - Ritchie
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kuhlman
Kuraly - Lindholm - Wagner
X: Nordstrom

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Chara - Clifton
X: Kampfer

LTIR: Moore, Miller (traded in camp for a pick/cap space)

Thoughts on that lineup? Good enough to get them to the deadline?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Using only the guys who they've got now (assuming no new FAs or trades), I'm starting camp with:

63-37-88
74-46-Ritchie
43-13-Senyshyn
20-52-14

33-73
47-25
48-75

Miller and Moore injured, the 3 young D playing all situations in Providence

Ritchie playing on the 2nd line and kuhlman as the 13th forward? Seriously?

Reactions: Estlin and Skelen

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Marchand-bergy-Pastrnak
Debrusk-krejci-Kuhlman
Heinen-coyle-studnicka
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
i'm shocked this guy is still hanging around
I am too, but for different reasons. I figured they'd let him go and he'd resurface with another team in a Frank Vatrano type role and impact. I know you don't think he can play, but I still think he can. I think he can be the guy we saw briefly two years ago, the guy we saw at camp, the guy we saw when he first came up... I've thought for years that he could be the key to making Krejci-Pastrnak work but I gave up on all that... which is why it surprised me to hear Sweeney mention him as an option.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I am too, but for different reasons. I figured they'd let him go and he'd resurface with another team in a Frank Vatrano type role and impact. I know you don't think he can play, but I still think he can. I think he can be the guy we saw briefly two years ago, the guy we saw at camp, the guy we saw when he first came up... I've thought for years that he could be the key to making Krejci-Pastrnak work but I gave up on all that... which is why it surprised me to hear Sweeney mention him as an option.

skilled guy for sure. i just haven't seen the pace with him - his feet and between the ears. doesn't seem like cassidy
is much of a fan either. he's gotta go through waivers next year so sink or swim (unless they trade him before that).

reading between the lines, it seems the hope is that senyshyn or bjork or to a lesser extent
kuhlman is able to grab that 2RW spot to start. if things don't pan out on any level, sweeney
can then go out and upgrade via trade. seems like his MO: let the kids play. and if the kids
can't play, we will figure it out. bjork is my favorite guy of all the prospects, and even i'm not
advocating for him in the fall. just needs to play games, likely at the AHL level.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Marsh - Bergy - Pasta

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Chara - Clifton

Completely forgot about Kampfer.I wonder if they're going to take a wait/see approach with the injuries to Miller and Moore before making a move.

IMO, I'm not a fan of moving DeBrusk down the lineup. The kid was on pace to hit 33 goals and 51 points over 82 games and became the go-to scorer for Krejci's line.

I'm also not a fan of taking our Nordstrom from the lineup, based on Nordstrom's performance in the playoffs and not really knowing anything about Lindholm's game. I like Nordstrom's uptempo style and it fits well with the pace that Kuraly like's to play at.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
As it stands now...

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kuhlman
Heinen-Coyle-Ritchie
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Backes

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Clifton
Kampfer

Miller will definitely need to be traded. Backes would be great to trade, but I think we keep him a year then buy him out. Nobody's gonna take that contract right now. 2nd line RW is still the biggest hole, but I could definitely see Sweeney waiting until the deadline to address it, like he did with the 3C last year.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Marsh - Bergy - Pasta

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Chara - Clifton

I think Brett Ritchie on the 2nd line would give me an ulcer.

Reactions: Estlin

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Trade Miller for picks (similar to McQuaid deal)
Trade Nordy for a pick

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen
Debrusk - Krejci - Pasta
Bjork - Coyle - Wagner
Blidh- Kuraly - Ritchie
Cehlarik - Kuhlman

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Grz - Clifton

Would also try:
Marchand - Bergeron - Bjork
Debrusk - Krejci - Pasta
Cehlarik - Coyle - Heinen
Wagner - Kuraly - Ritchie/Kuhlman
Blidh - Kuhlman

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Ritchie is a .22 points per game player over a 241 game span. Nothing about that says 2nd line capable player. Even worse he’s a .16 points per game player over the last two seasons.

There’s a reason Dallas let him go and Boston was able to sign him to a 1 year deal for only $1m.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How Will Bruins Replace Marcus Johansson? Don Sweeney Lists Possibilities

Woof. Your second and third line RW are coming from Bjork, Ritchie, Paul Carey, Kuhlman, Cehlarik and Senyshyn
Maybe this is a possibility:

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Coyle
Heinen-Kuraly-Kuhlman/Wagner/Ritchie/Seny
Nordstrom-Lindholm-Wagner/Ritchie

I would prefer we stay with 3 deep at center, but maybe Kuraly could show some more offense playing with some better offensive players.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Ritchie is a .22 points per game player over a 241 game span. Nothing about that says 2nd line capable player. Even worse he’s a .16 points per game player over the last two seasons.

There’s a reason Dallas let him go and Boston was able to sign him to a 1 year deal for only $1m.

I don't see any harm in starting camp with him there and seeing how he looks IF (big IF) they don't add anyone else before then. Nothing about any of the options they have right now says 2nd line capable player right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad