Line Combos: 2019-2020 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
He has, but its not like he's a scrub on the RW. Krejci's possession numbers and advanced stats seem to be best when Coyle is on his RW and being that the 2nd line has been an concern for 3-4 years now, why not put him there? The advanced numbers say a trio of DeBrusk - Krejci - Coyle can been solid in possession and scoring chances.

I'm also not sure I'm following with Studnicka. You say its tough to throw him in because he's only played 2 NHL games (BTW McAvoy had zero when he jumped in during a playoff run), but if we lose a center he's the top choice to replace them? If you have the confidence to make him the top center replacement for injury, how can you not be confident in him being a #3C?

Going to focus on the Studnicka part. I don't think any of the other center options that they have are good enough to play top 9 C. I'd rather take my chances with Studnicka than bumping up Kuraly or Lindholm. The way I view it is if they need him in an emergency (i.e. Bergeron, Krejci, or Coyle injury), then it makes sense to add him to the lineup, but I think that they're not going to want to throw him in there unless they're desperate. I'd say it's a mixture of personal opinion and knowing how Cassidy and Sweeney operate.

With the Coyle thing, I'm more of a fan of spreading out talent in your lineup over stacking lines. I think it makes your team more difficult to defend.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Going to focus on the Studnicka part. I don't think any of the other center options that they have are good enough to play top 9 C. I'd rather take my chances with Studnicka than bumping up Kuraly or Lindholm. The way I view it is if they need him in an emergency (i.e. Bergeron, Krejci, or Coyle injury), then it makes sense to add him to the lineup, but I think that they're not going to want to throw him in there unless they're desperate. I'd say it's a mixture of personal opinion and knowing how Cassidy and Sweeney operate.

With the Coyle thing, I'm more of a fan of spreading out talent in your lineup over stacking lines. I think it makes your team more difficult to defend.

I'm not saying what I think will happen, I'm saying what I'd like to see. I fully expect we see the same lines we had before the break.

As for Studs, I rather him get reps with support if he falters vs throwing him in to a series cold and asking him to replace one of the top 3 centers.

As for lines, the only line that's hard to defned is the 1st line, but its not getting broken up. What's been a glaring issue is secondary scoring. If 74-46-13 are going to increase scoring chances then let's go. I also think a trio of Bjork-Studnicka-Kase could be an interesting line as all 3 are very good skaters, fast and get teams issues trying to exit the zone. All 3 guys also have offensive skills that could make them a nightmare to play against.

I'm for setting yourself up to be successful and the 2nd line hasn't been. Ritchie and Kase w/ Krejci were not good and again his #'s with DeBrusk/Coyle are good.. So do you put Ritchie/Kase with Coyle and have Bjork/DeBrusk on L2 wings? You could, but the line doesn't wow me and Idk how Coyle would look with Ritchie and Kase.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Yeah I have no idea how the line up is going to look. Debrusk-Coyle-Bjork looked really good together for a good stretch of games.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Ritchie-Krejci-Kase
Debrusk-Coyle-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Lauzon

I think Frederic and Studnicka are the wild cards. Sounds like Cassidy really likes Studnickas game. If these kids come in to practice flying I wouldn’t be surprised if one could steal a spot. My guess it would most likely be on the wing though.

I posted right before the regular season was paused that I would love to see.

Debrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I’ve been watching the regular season in reverse . I’m really not sure what the middle six will look like but I think I prefer Debrusk with Coyle . Haven’t really seen enough of Kase or Ritchie to really have a feel for what we have in those two . Bjork has had trouble producing offensively in the regular season so I don’t see that changing in the playoffs. My money is on him being a healthy scratch . I’d like to see Lindholm on line 4 and Kuhlman somewhere in the bottom 6 . I realize both are black holes offensively but they still contribute even when not producing offensively .

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
63-37-88
74-46-28
21-13-10
20-52-14
26-81

33-73
47-25
79-48
27-75

This is without inclusions from Providence. Forgive me if it has already been explained here but I don't know what the rules are gonna be for availability of AHL guys. I could see Studnicka getting into the lineup if there are injuries, for example. I think the 4th line guys are interchangeable as needed (based on recent play, injuries, style, etc).

In the top 9 I could see swapping Ritchie & JDB if necessary to get either line going.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think Coyle has shown to be a much better C than W, so I'd rather keep him at 3C. He gives credibility to the 3rd line, and it's a match-up advantage against most teams. Adding Studnicka to the lineup is intriguing, but it's tough to throw him into the playoffs when he's got just 2 NHL games under his belt. I think you have him as the top center replacement if any of Bergeron, Krejci, or Coyle go out.

I agree on Coyle - can't see him playing anything other than center unless things get desperate. Kuraly though I preferred on the wing this season, whereas Lindholm was probably the best in the 4C role, which also allowed Kuraly to pinch hit up the order on occasion late in the season, which actually worked rather well. So I wonder if Lindy gets that 4th center spot with Sean and Wags/Nordy on each side. I think if either top-6 C gets injured Coyle naturally moves up, and then the question just becomes whether Lindholm also moves up or Studnicka or Frederic slot into the 3rd line. Given that Jack and maybe Trent too could probably handle the 3rd, you probably just keep the 4th line rolling as is and minimize disruption.

The 2nd and 3rd lines are of course going to be make or break for Boston. The 1st we count on, the 4th will be as busy and hard-working as ever, our D has a couple of things to sort out but should be reliable, our goalies are first rate. But the middle 6 have never been settled and in the short term only became less so with the introduction of Kase and Ritchie. Which certainly isn't saying that either were bad acquisitions, just that circumstances never allowed them time to really find their feet and best position with the Bs. I don't think the correct combos are readily apparent either, so Cassidy and Co's biggest challenge is going to be finding the best ones and getting them working well, and fast.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Outside of the obvious concerns about return to play, the Kase and Ritchie fits is a big concern with meaningful games off the bat. I think Cassidy will go back to reliable connections like DeBrusk and Krejci and Bjork and Coyle. I know DeBrusk looked good with Coyle at times too, but you can't just give Krejci both new guys. The option to move Pasta around is way out the window now IMO. You have to go to your big guns, even more so in this situation.

DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
N. Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Extras: Lindholm, Kuhlman, Studnicka, Blidh, Frederic

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton
Extras: Lauzon, Moore, Kampfer, Vaakanainen, Zboril

Rask
Halak
Extras: Vladar, Lagace

I believe you can carry 10 extra skaters from the 18 guys skating in any given game, and an unlimited amount of goalies.

I'm genuinely curious to see who the 6th D will be. I think you could argue for any one of Clifton, Lauzon or Moore. I like Lauzon the most, but Clifton has that natural RHD spot. Also curious what Kevan Miller's status is.

Why can't you give Krejci both new guys given that those two guys played on a line together for the Ducks?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah I have no idea how the line up is going to look. Debrusk-Coyle-Bjork looked really good together for a good stretch of games.

Ritchie-Krejci-Kase
Debrusk-Coyle-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Lauzon

I think Frederic and Studnicka are the wild cards. Sounds like Cassidy really likes Studnickas game. If these kids come in to practice flying I wouldn’t be surprised if one could steal a spot. My guess it would most likely be on the wing though.

I posted right before the regular season was paused that I would love to see.

Debrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

Ritchie-Krejci-Kase
Debrusk-Coyle-Bjork

Is the middle six I think is the safest best. With Studnicka waiting in the wings if Bjork falters.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Why can't you give Krejci both new guys given that those two guys played on a line together for the Ducks?

Small sample size as the trio has played just under 50 mintues together but:

CF%: 46.3
SF%: 45.8
xGF%: 42.8
SCF%: 53.8
HDCF: 40.0

They are slightly above average in scoring chances for %, but are below average in corsi, shots for, expected goals for and high danger chances for. Again its a small sample size, but the advanced stats say they we're not great as a trio.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Ritchie-Krejci-Kase
Debrusk-Coyle-Bjork

Is the middle six I think is the safest best. With Studnicka waiting in the wings if Bjork falters.

I'd be surprised to see Studnicka get a look on RW. If Boston was willing to have him play RW and we've been looking for a RW (prior to TDL) then why didn't they even consider giving him a look/call-up?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Playoff lineup

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Ritchie Coyle Bjork
Wagner Kulary Nordstrom

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Grz Clifton
Lauzon

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
For monday would like to see

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Bjork Coyle Studnicka
4th line

The Canes are rolling all 4 lines and are being asked to forcheck hard. The Bruins are running on 3 lines these past 2 games and at times look gassed

Coyle is a good playoff performer but needs better wingers to make it work

I wish Bjork would learn to carry the puck just inside the offensive blue line. Stop and pivot to connect with a trailing player, like Point, Marchand, Mojo, Grz can

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
For monday would like to see

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Bjork Coyle Studnicka
4th line

The Canes are rolling all 4 lines and are being asked to forcheck hard. The Bruins are running on 3 lines these past 2 games and at times look gassed

Coyle is a good playoff performer but needs better wingers to make it work

I wish Bjork would learn to carry the puck just inside the offensive blue line. Stop and pivot to connect with a trailing player, like Point, Marchand, Mojo, Grz can
If Pasta is back I would definitely like to see this. Ritchie was benched for the end of the game so I think his time may be up.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
So we’re down to what is quite possibly the final game of the season. At this point it is abundantly clear that the Bruins need to produce more offense, at all costs. In my opinion it’s time to shake things up dramatically, try something new, and absolutely sell out for offense.

OUT: Kase/Kuhlman/Nordy/Lind/Chara
IN: Stud/Seny/Kuraly/Freddy/Lauzon

DeBrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Ritchie-Coyle-Senyshyn
Kuraly-Frederic-Wagner

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

It’s now or never. At least go down swinging.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So we’re down to what is quite possibly the final game of the season. At this point it is abundantly clear that the Bruins need to produce more offense, at all costs. In my opinion it’s time to shake things up dramatically, try something new, and absolutely sell out for offense.

OUT: Kase/Kuhlman/Nordy/Lind/Chara
IN: Stud/Seny/Kuraly/Freddy/Lauzon

DeBrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Ritchie-Coyle-Senyshyn
Kuraly-Frederic-Wagner

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

It’s now or never. At least go down swinging.
There is absolutely no way Ritchie should be in the line-up. Kase has generated opportunities even if he has no finish. I would go with:

DeBrusk-Coyle-Kase
Bjork-Krejci-Studnicka
Nordstrom-Lindholm-Wagner

Assuming Kuraly is still out. If he's good to go, Kuraly over Lindholm.

Not like Bjork has done anything, but options are limited otherwise.

Reactions: Thomas 11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad