2019-2020 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All's good, roving coach Francis Bouillon has been summoned. He was on the ice with the Rocket this morning.

Reactions: Tyson

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't think we should be making excuses for Poehling. Even if he's playing 3rd line minutes, if he's talented enough, he should benefit from playing against much weaker competition. On his own, he really hasn't shown much this past week-end. The offensive talent is plentiful in Laval, as montreal as already pointed out. There's enough talent to fill 3 good offensive lines. Weise, Peca, Barber, Varone, Hudon, Evans and Belzile are all very good AHL players. Even if they don't cut it in the NHL, don't forget that the compete level is definitely not the same down there.

That said, it was his 2nd and 3rd professional games. Nothing to worry about. I think there's a bit of frustration on his part because of the demotion. As I've mentioned earlier, my guess is that the mood is pretty doom and gloom right now in Laval. I'm not worried though, Bouchard will light a fire under their ass this week. They'll pick up the pace and perform better.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think we should be making excuses for Poehling. Even if he's playing 3rd line minutes, if he's talented enough, he should benefit from playing against much weaker competition. On his own, he really hasn't shown much this past week-end. The offensive talent is plentiful in Laval, as montreal as already pointed out. There's enough talent to fill 3 good offensive lines. Weise, Peca, Barber, Varone, Hudon, Evans and Belzile are all very good AHL players. Even if they don't cut it in the NHL, don't forget that the compete level is definitely not the same down there.

That said, it was his 2nd and 3rd professional games. Nothing to worry about. I think there's a bit of frustration on his part because of the demotion. As I've mentioned earlier, my guess is that the mood is pretty doom and gloom right now in Laval. I'm not worried though, Bouchard will light a fire under their ass this week. They'll pick up the pace and perform better.

he just had his first concussion that I know of, has barely played any real hockey games since last season, and I'm sure it's a big jump from the NCAA to the AHL especially when coming off a concussion in preseason.

So I don't look at them as excuses but more like context.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched the first two games and they were putrid. I know it’s early but that forward group is bad

Putrid? they barely lost on Friday, it was 3-2, they outshot them but the offense was sluggish. Primeau was better then Lindgren so if Bouchard had of started him the 1st game and had better lines perhaps they win that game.

The forward group should be fine, Barber, Hudon, Belzile, Varone, Peca, Evans, Poehling should be a very good forward group once they figure out some better lines and get their shit together.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
he just had his first concussion that I know of, has barely played any real hockey games since last season, and I'm sure it's a big jump from the NCAA to the AHL especially when coming off a concussion in preseason.

So I don't look at them as excuses but more like context.
By excuses, I was talking about the line mates stuff.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
About Barber/Varone taxes and pay scale... well Barber has 400k guarenteed this year and Varone 450k. Even if they pay 50% of that to taxes (they won't) they'll make more money than teachers, nurses, engineers, most business owners, most lawyers, etc... unsure what is there to complain about.

Actually when you think about it, only a select few business owners/CEO and maybe doctors get more pay than that. That's also more money than most Alouettes and Impact player. Safe to say Barber/Varone are among the top-100 people in the province right now when it comes to pay scale, alongside other Canadiens and Laval (Alzner, Ouellet, Weise, Peca) players. I mean come on.

Plus, I'm sure they knew they were going to end up in Laval, for sure. No surprise there.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think that defence is much more of a problem... Could really use Juulsen right now.
I think the former NHL players who are now minor leaguers are sulking and don’t want to be there with the exception of Ouellet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
By excuses, I was talking about the line mates stuff.

linemates aren't an excuse, it's a legit topic. I railed for so long when they put Scherbak and Audette on the same line for half the season. You had the 2 youngest forwards and 2 of the weakest defensively. Scherbak was their best playmaker and he puts him with an average shooter when he should have been with Hudon and Terry, which he finally was but it took half the season.

Weise is slow and not very skilled, he shouldn't be with Poehling and Peca didn't look like a guy that just spent a year in the NHL. But it's very very early of course.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
McCarron is cleared to play. He has been placed on waivers. Here's hoping he clears (will be surprised if he's claimed). He can be a big boost for Laval.

Bouchard had him playing his best hockey since turning pro last year before his injury sidelined him for the second half of the season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Putrid? they barely lost on Friday, it was 3-2, they outshot them but the offense was sluggish. Primeau was better then Lindgren so if Bouchard had of started him the 1st game and had better lines perhaps they win that game.

The forward group should be fine, Barber, Hudon, Belzile, Varone, Peca, Evans, Poehling should be a very good forward group once they figure out some better lines and get their **** together.
I saw the game differently. Cleveland was superior. The scores did not reflect the games.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I saw the game differently. Cleveland was superior. The scores did reflect the games.

in the 2nd game yes, in the 1st game it was 2-2 and Laval was outshooting them. Laval had two shots just trickle wide earlier on, if one of them goes in could have been a very different game.

The big thing that Bouchard's team needs to show is that he can get this team to play consistent offensive hockey. Last year they ended last in the league in goals per game I believe, but to be fair they didn't start out that went and did a nose dive once MB traded or called up all the goal scorers outside of Belzile as Evans is a playmaker first and foremost.

As for now he's got the tools, so there's no excuses, they have to score and score at a good level, there's no reason they shouldn't not only be a playoff team but around a top 10 team in the league. I would give it a month or so and if they haven't shown they can score goals then we got a problem, assuming most of their offense isn't called up or traded of course.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Adirondack announces their starting roster, Waked and McNiven are named. However, Verbeek isn't listed. They name who is on reserve and who is on IR, but Verbeek isn't named in either list.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Adirondack announces their starting roster, Waked and McNiven are named. However, Verbeek isn't listed. They name who is on reserve and who is on IR, but Verbeek isn't named in either list.

When I asked Adirondack how come there was no Verbeek, they updated their roster to include him. So Adirondack has Verbeek, Waked, and McNiven.

They start their season tomorrow against Maine Mariners, who have a few Habs/Rocket players in their line-up (LaCouvee & Adams-Moisan). Maine also have Crevier-Morin, Racine, and McNicholas, who were all invited to Laval's camp. They also have Alex Kile in their roster, who was brought up to Laval on a PTO a few times last year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A good week of practice hopefully gets this team going, especially the sulking vets who feel they are too good to be there. I am sure JB has addressed each player

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I'm happy that Laval will take on some different opponents this year. They play Milwaukee tomorrow (Preds' AHL affiliate). They play Rockford (Hawks' AHL affiliate) on Monday.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

I'm happy that Laval will take on some different opponents this year. They play Milwaukee tomorrow (Preds' AHL affiliate). They play Rockford (Hawks' AHL affiliate) on Monday.

In AHL.com, does it contains a tab where I can find the affiliation of the AHL teams? I'll print this at once. I want to get a better idea before purchasing my tickets. Get myself entertained on the ice aspect in most cases. The fan experience is #1 there tho. It's the last thing I'm thinking about.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Off and on, I wonder if I overrate too much my Rocket... Is this their real level? Still, I've to lower my expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad