2019-2020 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would like to know who recommended Kincaid.

It's not as simple as that. It's not like they said "Target Kinkaid and no one else." They surely look at free agency and see who is available and make a list accordingly. I do recall reading the Habs' first choice was McElhinney. And that they reached out to him. But he opted to sign with Tampa. And who knows if they looked elsewhere (trade). But Kinkaid was one of the UFA goalies available. So they obviously looked into it.

Unfortunately, they didn't trust Lindgren to take that spot. So they felt they needed to look outside.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
It's not as simple as that. It's not like they said "Target Kinkaid and no one else." They surely look at free agency and see who is available and make a list accordingly. I do recall reading the Habs' first choice was McElhinney. And that they reached out to him. But he opted to sign with Tampa. And who knows if they looked elsewhere (trade). But Kinkaid was one of the UFA goalies available. So they obviously looked into it.

Unfortunately, they didn't trust Lindgren to take that spot. So they felt they needed to look outside.
A logical and informative post, still, Kincaid was just Really bad.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Damn that's rough. But the finances of the ECHL are a lot different than NHL/AHL.

ECHL are mostly independently run franchises.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Dumont did a report on the Rocket yesterday. Here are some tidbits, about KK:
“It’s not even about the points for me. It’s about the way he was progressing in the game; stuff I worked with him from the beginning, he got it. I saw some detail in his game, in the last 4-5 games before he got injured, that I didn’t see at the start, and that’s very encouraging for a guy that has that much talent. He can do a lot with the puck. I really like the way he engaged in some of the details that are not sexy, but you have to do it if you want to be a good player.”

Brook needs to focus on his gap control and defensive positioning. As pointed out in the past, it was nice how he kept up his solid play when he lost Alzner and was promoted to the top 4, very encouraging.

About Poehling, mentions how the call-ups didn't help his development, also talks about this aspect of his game: He worked hard on his overall game, particularly his neutral zone play, which led to more responsibilities. He often attempts to deke through players when generating zone entries, which prevented him from finding the next offensive gear. But as the season went on, he reduced the number of ill-fated rush attempts.

Fleury: Bouchard praises his attitude.

Primeau: consistency was a problem, esp with the goalie carrousel. He had won 5 of his last 7 games and only allowed 8 goals on the last 155 shots he faced. He had trouble adjusting to the amount of traveling.

Vejdemo: most NHL ready. His PPG didn't see much improvement but his game without the puck did, especially on the PK.

Evans: CJ told him he needs to focus on his faceoffs.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
https://www.rds.ca/hockey/rocket/trente-minutes-avec-joel-bouchard-1.7406462

Interview with Bouchard. Says Kotkaniemi's injury has no impact on players long term. Liked his progress under him. Could see Belzile joining an organization as a staff member later on. Talks about how he could see Evans' potential in the first 10 games under him but didn't know what to do with him, had to change his game for it to suit for the pro level. Brook's problem was with his confidence and his strength. Gave props to McNiven for changing his attitude (first time I hear about that). Said they stuck with rotating Primeau on a frequent basis since he showed signs of fatigue (he mentioned it himself concerning the travel and how some weeks felt super long and others short) and how he was the most busy 20 year old goalie in the league.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If the season is over, you have to be happy with the progress Kotka showed in Laval, don't know what it means for his future but he was playing well here at least.

Brook had his game take off once he was moved to the top pairing but still needed to produce more points. I agree 100% with Bouchard that his problems are confidence and strength. Hopefully he hits the gym hard this off-season and uses his much improved play to build up his confidence.

I wasn't happy with Primeau getting every other game at times but overall he got enough ice time and other then a rough patch that was a little before and after his NHL call up, he was very impressive. I think he has to be considered one of the top goalie prospects in the NHL.

Vejdemo I just don't see much there, he just never seems to be able to put it all together, I do think he can be a guy that you put on the 4th line and he will be fine as he's got several NHL qualities, size, skating, speed, defensive play. He's got some offense but not sure he will be able to produce much in the NHL.

Evans is tougher to say as I think he's got a good bit more offense then Vejdemo but doesn't have his physical tools of speed, skating, size but he has improved there so if he keeps it up it will be very interesting since he's so smart as well as a decent amount of skill. He doesn't need to clear waivers next season so I could see him going back and forth.

Fleury is a bit of a tough one as well, I thought he was making some really terrible decisions when he was sent down but he's got a number of tools I really like. His physical game mixed with his physical tools of size, skating, speed. The problem is what kind of D will he be? I would say physical stay at home but he's better offensively then defensively but I don't know how good the offense is as he's got the big shot but I never saw him as a guy that would put up 40+ pts.

I would expect him to be in Laval next year, he should have been there all year this season imo, as he needs to work on his defensive game

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
That's gotta be the season. Was great seeing KK down in Laval if only as absolute last resort by management. I hope he starts in the AHL whenever the 20/21 season starts, so that he keeps getting 20+ mins a night and even playing PP/PK.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's gotta be the season. Was great seeing KK down in Laval if only as absolute last resort by management. I hope he starts in the AHL whenever the 20/21 season starts, so that he keeps getting 20+ mins a night and even playing PP/PK.

Got a call from my ticket manager that they are waiting on the AHL official decision but most likely the season is off.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Looks like Carolina will affiliate themselves with Chicago Wolves, which would end their affiliation with Charlotte Checkers.

That would leave Charlotte without an NHL affiliate and the Panthers without an AHL affiliate.

I would expect that if the Canes officially affiliate themselves with the Wolves, then the Panthers will affiliate with Charlotte.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Godin posted an article on Teasdale, here are tidbits:
- He hasn't played in almost a year, it can't be good for his development not knowing when he'll play next with an AHL season possibly being jeopardized next year.
- He had skated 9 times before the pandemic.
- He sees that as a blessing in a way since everyone will be losing some of their development time unlike him when he was injured. He sees it that now he'll only need to gain back his timing, so he'll be in the same boat as everybody else.
- He's been training every day and he's conscious about staying in shape (they mention how his body fat was 17,25% when he was 16 and Bouchard was on his ass for that).

Reactions: Adam Michaels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad