Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Report

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Well that is awful news.

The only silver lining is the potential for a playoff return mentioned by a few people already. 5 months is the very end of March, which means he would be reevaluated a week before the end of the season and a return right at the start of the playoffs wouldn't be any more cap circumvention than it was when the Hawks did it with Kane. We are right at the cap, so we should get essentially every penny of his contract in LTIR if we want to bring in a replacement.

Time for a rookie to step up. Thomas, Kyrou and Kostin all need to dedicate themselves 100% to hockey for the next 2-3 months. This is the type of opportunity that can change their life. Thomas can take the next step, take permanent control of a top 6 spot and ensure that contract #2 is a huge one instead of a small raise and bridge. Kyrou/Kostin have a chance to go from making $75k a year to $750k.

This is brutal news, but next man up. This is why you invest in depth.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Well crap, so much for a short thread this year.

As exciting as the Silver Lining is I can’t help but still be down. The last time Tank came back form an injury like this it took half a year for him to get going again. He had no power on his shot. Even if he comes back for the Playoffs I fear he would only be a shell of himself,

Hopefully we can get some replacement via trade, or one of the Rookies steps up huge.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If Kyrou had been playing since the season started, I suspect he'd be the natural call up, but he is just now starting what would be considered his pre-season so he's probably a few weeks away. I suspect they'll let Kostin pick it up for a few games down in SA to see how he is going (he seems to have cooled a bit) and roll Sanford and Fabbri nightly and pick up an extra box sitter from waivers or from SA.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Exactly. First player that comes to mind is Taylor Hall, who's in the final year of his contract. But an extension with Jersey seems likely unless that team just absolutely craps the bed the next month or so. I assume the Blues will take a long look at Kostin/Kyrou/Thomas and see if any of the trio take a significant step forward before adding another big contract.

Are there any other worthwhile players on expiring contracts that could be added?

Tyler Toffoli from LA?

Mike Hoffman and Mikael Granlund are unlikely to be available due to their teams being playoff bound currently. Plus as a division rival, Nashville is unlikely to do us any favours.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Brutal news. Next man up. Big opportunity for the kids. I wish Kyrou was healthy as he’d be the obvious replacement in my mind.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Well crap, so much for a short thread this year.

As exciting as the Silver Lining is I can’t help but still be down. The last time Tank came back form an injury like this it took half a year for him to get going again. He had no power on his shot. Even if he comes back for the Playoffs I fear he would only be a shell of himself,

Hopefully we can get some replacement via trade, or one of the Rookies steps up huge.

Preferably BOTH.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I posted this in another thread, but it fits here as well. Here is my quick scan of pending UFAs that may be available. Even dumpster fires are unlikely to be trading pending RFAs and we really can't afford to take on a multi-million dollar contract that extends into 2020/21. We don't have the cap space and frankly don't have the roster space to commit to a guy beyond this season.

Taylor Hall is the obvious big name rental assuming NJ can't get a deal done. He is a better player than Tarasenko IMO and I think he can play the "score you an easy goal by doing it all himself" role better than any other realistic avenue. NJ has gotten off to a terrible start and I have to think that an extension is unlikely at this point. They also gave up their 2nd and 3rd this year plus a 2nd rounder next year and have incentive to seek futures assets.

But Hall is going to fetch a hell of an asking price and is far from a slam dunk, so I looked into some other less-obvious guys.

Hoffman: would be a good option to replace a lot of Tarasenko's goal scoring ability, but Florida is probably more willing to let him walk as a UFA than trade him if they are in playoff position. The mess with his significant other and Karlsson's family is still concerning to me and diligence would need to be done there.

Kreider: Probably the best non-Hall option that is very likely to be on the market. He's a 25 goal, 50 point player with speed. At 28, he probably will be looking for a longer term deal this summer and if he is then he won't fit into the Rangers' long term plan. The Rangers don't appear to be done with their rebuild this season, so he likely becomes a trade candidate.

Backstrom: I'll list him because he is an awesome pending UFA, but the Caps are 1st place in the NHL and trying to win another Cup with Ovechkin. I can't fathom him being moved mid-season. If he is, it will only be because they get an absolute king's ransom. If the cost of the rental is a massive haul, make that offer to the Devils.

Soderberg: Don't know how comfortable he is at wing, but he may be an option if Arizona goes into free fall. He is nothing special, but he is a 45+ point guy in a top 6 role. He doesn't replace what Tarasenko does stylistically, but could be a guy that can produce and help get us to the playoffs if we suffer another big injury and the youth can't get it done. He could likely be a positive contributor in a 3rd line role in the playoffs if/when Tarasenko returns and pushes him down the lineup.

Pageau: Ottawa is terrible and there is a decent chance all of their pending UFAs are trade bait. I think Pageau is a really good hockey player, but his strengths aren't at all a Tarasenko replacement. He could be a good candidate to bolster the 3rd line if Thomas/Kyour/Kostin/Fabbri click in Tarasenko's role and we are looking to improve the middle of the offensive lineup.

Namestnikov: Not a sexy pick, but he is a guy who seems to be able to produce with top end talent (and then disappear when he is asked to do more heavy lifting in a 3rd line role). He was great in Tampa and he has been awesome in Ottawa so far this year. He was terrible in New York. He's not my first choice and I don't know how much (if any) he would contribute to the roster in the playoffs once Tarasenko is back. But he could theoretically be a guy who could be a 50 point type player on the top 6. If we are floundering in a month or two and none of Thomas/Kyrou/Kostin are able to fill that role in the top 6, he is an option that probably wouldn't cost a ton. Ottawa will almost certainly be looking to sell him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The Blues should do a paper transaction to send down Thomas and bring up Walman whenever they officially put Tarasenko on LTIR (which may not be right away since we are currently banking a very small amount of cap space each day). Walman makes about $30k more than Thomas, which would mean $30k more LTIR. It might not end up mattering, but you never know.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I posted this in another thread, but it fits here as well. Here is my quick scan of pending UFAs that may be available. Even dumpster fires are unlikely to be trading pending RFAs and we really can't afford to take on a multi-million dollar contract that extends into 2020/21. We don't have the cap space and frankly don't have the roster space to commit to a guy beyond this season.

Taylor Hall is the obvious big name rental assuming NJ can't get a deal done. He is a better player than Tarasenko IMO and I think he can play the "score you an easy goal by doing it all himself" role better than any other realistic avenue. NJ has gotten off to a terrible start and I have to think that an extension is unlikely at this point. They also gave up their 2nd and 3rd this year plus a 2nd rounder next year and have incentive to seek futures assets.

But Hall is going to fetch a hell of an asking price and is far from a slam dunk, so I looked into some other less-obvious guys.

Hoffman: would be a good option to replace a lot of Tarasenko's goal scoring ability, but Florida is probably more willing to let him walk as a UFA than trade him if they are in playoff position. The mess with his significant other and Karlsson's family is still concerning to me and diligence would need to be done there.

Kreider: Probably the best non-Hall option that is very likely to be on the market. He's a 25 goal, 50 point player with speed. At 28, he probably will be looking for a longer term deal this summer and if he is then he won't fit into the Rangers' long term plan. The Rangers don't appear to be done with their rebuild this season, so he likely becomes a trade candidate.

Backstrom: I'll list him because he is an awesome pending UFA, but the Caps are 1st place in the NHL and trying to win another Cup with Ovechkin. I can't fathom him being moved mid-season. If he is, it will only be because they get an absolute king's ransom. If the cost of the rental is a massive haul, make that offer to the Devils.

Soderberg: Don't know how comfortable he is at wing, but he may be an option if Arizona goes into free fall. He is nothing special, but he is a 45+ point guy in a top 6 role. He doesn't replace what Tarasenko does stylistically, but could be a guy that can produce and help get us to the playoffs if we suffer another big injury and the youth can't get it done. He could likely be a positive contributor in a 3rd line role in the playoffs if/when Tarasenko returns and pushes him down the lineup.

Pageau: Ottawa is terrible and there is a decent chance all of their pending UFAs are trade bait. I think Pageau is a really good hockey player, but his strengths aren't at all a Tarasenko replacement. He could be a good candidate to bolster the 3rd line if Thomas/Kyour/Kostin/Fabbri click in Tarasenko's role and we are looking to improve the middle of the offensive lineup.

Namestnikov: Not a sexy pick, but he is a guy who seems to be able to produce with top end talent (and then disappear when he is asked to do more heavy lifting in a 3rd line role). He was great in Tampa and he has been awesome in Ottawa so far this year. He was terrible in New York. He's not my first choice and I don't know how much (if any) he would contribute to the roster in the playoffs once Tarasenko is back. But he could theoretically be a guy who could be a 50 point type player on the top 6. If we are floundering in a month or two and none of Thomas/Kyrou/Kostin are able to fill that role in the top 6, he is an option that probably wouldn't cost a ton. Ottawa will almost certainly be looking to sell him.
What about Toffoli?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Has anyone seen or heard anything today about Steen? That situation yesterday looked eerily like the Schwartz situation in Detroit, so there may be another spot on the roster up for grabs. Frankly, even if Steen fine and just a little sore after the shot block, I'd be inclined to let him sit for a week or so just to make sure he's 100% and to limit his minutes for the long regular season.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Has anyone seen or heard anything today about Steen? That situation yesterday looked eerily like the Schwartz situation in Detroit, so there may be another spot on the roster up for grabs. Frankly, even if Steen fine and just a little sore after the shot block, I'd be inclined to let him sit for a week or so just to make sure he's 100% and to limit his minutes for the long regular season.
I was wondering the same thing this morning. Maybe a bone bruise? I don't know what shin guards he uses, but they probably didn't wrap around far enough to help deflect a bit of that shot.

Reactions: MissouriMook

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

Kreider or Hoffman would obviously be a great consolation prize if the Blues don't win the Taylor Hall sweepstakes. And Tyler Toffoli seems like a solid option too as mentioned by another poster.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
What about Toffoli?
I'm not at all a fan of his game at this point in his career. I don't think he has it in him to be a 40+ point player anymore and he has looked bad almost every time I've watched the Kings in the last couple years. I guess I could have included him as a guy who would be a decent 3rd line replacement if one of our young guys can fill the top 6 spot, but that's about all I would expect out of him. And I'd take Pageau over him in that role 10 times out of 10.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm not at all a fan of his game at this point in his career. I don't think he has it in him to be a 40+ point player anymore and he has looked bad almost every time I've watched the Kings in the last couple years. I guess I could have included him as a guy who would be a decent 3rd line replacement if one of our young guys can fill the top 6 spot, but that's about all I would expect out of him. And I'd take Pageau over him in that role 10 times out of 10.
Not sold on him either. But Kings aren’t good and he is pending UFA so worth exploring.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Tarasenko will have surgery on his left shoulder and will be re-evaluated in 5 months. Going to be some big skates to fill.
Well, I'm pretty sure I was wrong about the nature of the injury in this case. I don't mind being wrong, that happens a lot. But I wish in this case I hadn't been.

Reactions: mk80

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Not sold on him either. But Kings aren’t good and he is pending UFA so worth exploring.
That's fair. However, I wouldn't start exploring him until I've gotten long looks at Thomas in the top 6, Kyrou+Kostin at the NHL level, AND have kicked the tires on everyone I listed above.

For me, Toffoli is much more of a "Oh God the ship is going down and we need to do something now" move than the others.

Reactions: 67Blues

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Since we won the Cup last year I'm okay with this. More concerned about Vlad's long-term outlook. Two surgeries on the same shoulder can't be good. Potentially career threatening.

I'd like to see Kostin up and thrown on the top line. Let's see what he can do with the opportunity.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
That's fair. However, I wouldn't start exploring him until I've gotten long looks at Thomas in the top 6, Kyrou+Kostin at the NHL level, AND have kicked the tires on everyone I listed above.

For me, Toffoli is much more of a "Oh God the ship is going down and we need to do something now" move than the others.
Indeed. The Blues should take this opportunity to evaluate what they have in SA to not only set this year directionally, but to also look at where our AHL is and needs to be for the future. At this point in the season, we'll either trade for 4th line guys who we already have enough of, or overpay and hamstring ourselves for the next few years either in talent, cap, or both.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues still have plenty of talent to make the playoffs. Probably won't win the division, but who cares? Get 91 his surgery and rehab and hope he's a go for the post-season. Even at 85% the opponent will have to respect him which will free up his mates. I don't think the Blues need to add anyone, and I'd be surprised if they didn't use this opportunity to get their own guys extended looks. Having said that, I'm cool with Army going over the top and bringing in Hall if they can swing it. I know the front office has always liked him, and would probably be interested...

Reactions: brokeu91

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4