Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Report

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Which is worse, a separation or a dislocation?
I've suffered both, and the dislocation was excruciating pain. Oddly enough I've had it happen during a hockey game where another player and I ran into each other and my arm was in an awkward position. Dropped me to my knees and was the longest skate back to the bench in my life.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Yeah, not really.

A separation typically stretches ligaments and does not include the shoulder coming out of the joint. The majority of shoulder separations dont require surgery.
A dislocation tears ligaments, and the bone comes out of the shoulder joint. Sometimes it pops right back in, sometimes it requires medical attention to go back into the joint.
I guess I should take it up with the orthopedic surgeon who taught me that in medical school.

Its not my area of specialty, but I am not convinced there has been such a decisive change in the vernacular. Maybe cite an authoritative reference if you’re more familiar?

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I've suffered both, and the dislocation was excruciating pain. Oddly enough I've had it happen during a hockey game where another player and I ran into each other and my arm was in an awkward position. Dropped me to my knees and was the longest skate back to the bench in my life.
Reminds me of that time Jagr injured his shoulder during his time with the NYR.

It looked like such an inconsequential movement of his arm, yet it got screwed up pretty bad.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
It’s two names for the same thing. A separation is the more medically correct term for a dislocated AC joint.

Yeah, not really.

A separation typically stretches ligaments and does not include the shoulder coming out of the joint. The majority of shoulder separations dont require surgery.
A dislocation tears ligaments, and the bone comes out of the shoulder joint. Sometimes it pops right back in, sometimes it requires medical attention to go back into the joint.

A separation and a dislocation are 2 different things. A separation is an injury to the acromioclavicular ligament, which as the name suggests, connects the acromion to the clavicle. A dislocation involves the humeral head popping out of the socket.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You should probably do that.
Lol! I’ve reduced separated shoulders in the ER before during my earlier general training. Why do you want to argue semantics with me when I was just answering a simple question? How do you think the ligaments get ‘stretched’ if the joint isn’t dislocated? I guess the moral of the story is that you can successfully treat the injury without agreeing on what to call it.

I am attaching a link I found after a quick search which will hopefully clarify the language, and also shows some of the different severities possible.

AC Separation

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
A separation and a dislocation are 2 different things. A separation is an injury to the acromioclavicular ligament, which as the name suggests, connects the acromion to the clavicle. A dislocation involves the humeral head popping out of the socket.
Best medical terminology would describe the injury by what joint you are talking about, avoiding this confusion.

In Tarasenko’s case, we are talking about an AC injury (speculating) right? Is someone suggesting Tarasenko dislocated his humerus? I don’t believe that for a second.

Reactions: DangledUpinBlues

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Best medical terminology would describe the injury by what joint you are talking about, avoiding this confusion.

In Tarasenko’s case, we are talking about an AC injury (speculating) right? Is someone suggesting Tarasenko dislocated his humerus? I don’t believe that for a second.

Actually, JR just posted a new article an hour ago about Tarasenko and cited a left shoulder dislocation that was surgically repaired in April 2018, and it was aggravated in Game 2 of the stanley cup finals. It has been confirmed that the left shoulder has been reinjured, which could mean it's related to his past injury or could be a new type of injury all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow.

Well, the young guys are certainly going to get a look. I think both Kyrou and Kostin should get a shot in the near future.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Tarasenko will have surgery on his left shoulder and will be re-evaluated in 5 months. Going to be some big skates to fill.

Mother *%$#*&#

Not really shocking at all though when you saw the hit(not hard) and remember he injured that surgically repaired shoulder in June.

Boy I really hope his shoulder doesn't wreck his career. This really sucks.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
This obviously is bad, but I'm thinking about some big silver lining here. There is no salary cap in the playoffs. The Blues could add a big contract at the trade deadline, activate Tarasenko for game 1 of the playoffs, and start an extra impact player throughout the playoffs. Unless the cap rules changed, the Blackhawks did the same thing with an injury to Kane a few years ago.

We just have to actually make the playoffs first.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Injury probably warrants it's own thread.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the injury would theoretically afford the Blues enough cap space to acquire a significant contract for the rest of the season.

New Jersey, Detroit, Ottawa, New York, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Chicago, Dallas, San Jose are all sub .500 so far.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well thankfully we have the depth to cover Tarasenko being out. But damn I wish we didn't have to cover for him, especially that long term.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This obviously is bad, but I'm thinking about some big silver lining here. There is no salary cap in the playoffs. The Blues could add a big contract at the trade deadline, activate Tarasenko for game 1 of the playoffs, and start an extra impact player throughout the playoffs. Unless the cap rules changed, the Blackhawks did the same thing with an injury to Kane a few years ago.

Yeah, the fact that we could still get Tarasenko back for the playoffs is pretty big.

We should still make it there without much problem IMO. The West is really not that good this season. Who is really impressive so far besides Colorado and Nashville? Maybe Vegas. Those look like the only 3 challenges.

But the Sharks and Jets both took a big step back and the Stars are really struggling. Calgary looks very pedestrian as well and I am not entirely sold on Edmonton to be able to keep this up. So many “meh” teams.

Reactions: SneakerPimp82

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

Exactly. First player that comes to mind is Taylor Hall, who's in the final year of his contract. But an extension with Jersey seems likely unless that team just absolutely craps the bed the next month or so. I assume the Blues will take a long look at Kostin/Kyrou/Thomas and see if any of the trio take a significant step forward before adding another big contract.

Are there any other worthwhile players on expiring contracts that could be added?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad