Prospect Info: 2019-2020 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Friday/Saturday roundup:
WHL:
Rybinski'
s hot streak is over (been pointless three games in a row). On the bright side, after their horrible-awful-no-good-start and being sellers at trade deadline, it looks like his team might just squeak into the playoffs as the second wildcard. This Conner Roulette kid looks pretty good for next year's draft - 1st WHL season and after a slow start getting used to the league has 21 points in the past 17 games on a weak team, being one of the three stars more often than not.
Ludvig with two assists for the weekend; one in a 1-2 OT loss (big goalie battle) and another yesterday in a 6-5 OT win. Liked his effort defending the net on Friday. 6 SOG and +3 yesterday, what else is new. His team sits top in the division and 2nd in the WHL, just three points behind the leader and with four less games played.
Wedman with a goal and an assist in the two weekend games (1-4 and 2-7 losses). Kelowna won just four of the past 13 - still clearly in the playoff spot but not trending the right way.

OHL:
Noel
pointless in his first two games for Kitchener (two 5-2 wins). Meireles pointless on Friday but had a shorthanded goal and a primary shorthanded assist, 1st star on Saturday. Excellent play for the assist - he stole the puck on the blueline, did some great stickhandling to get around two guys and essentially single-handedly created the 2-on-1 which led to the goal. He's short but built heavy; a bit hard to judge since he's a double overager... Still, definitely like him for a bottom 6 NHL guy.
Koly had a goal but was -4 on Friday in a 4-7 loss (TBF, the goalie was positively awful... but also did Koly fall asleep on one of the goals? Kinda just staring there while the guy he was supposed to cover scores.) Didn't play yesterday, not sure why.
Schwindt still out with injury.

College:
Knight
gives up two on Friday in a 3-1 loss and is 3rd star of the game (first pointless game of the season for Hutsko). Gave up three yesterday in a 6-3 win (makes 28 saves on 31 shots so still pretty good effort). 1st star of yesterday's game is Finkelstein who's 1+2 for three points, all three points on the PP (played 1st pairing and finished -2). Had hopes for the kid once; been disappointed since he joined BC but at least he finally seems to be heading back in the right direction. 7th on the team in points (best Dman) and leads the team in blocked shots (which is not saying much as he's 87th in blocked shots per game played league-wide... just shows you how much team is relying on Knight to bail them out). Hutsko also had a goal and an assist in the win (10+6 in 14 GP).
Gildon pointless in a 5-4 OT win. I like him as a prospect but he always seems to start the season really hot and then sort of fades away a bit as the year goes on.
Lindmark pointless in the two weekend games - has really cooled off after a great start. Just two assists in the past ten games (team also has just three wins over that stretch). Inamoto collects an assist for his fourth point of the year; he's 6th in the NCAA in blocked shots per game played (42 BS in 19 GP).

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Noel the big "soft" winger as some refer to just had a fight today, just 18 seconds into the game. Got the 2-5-10 treatment.

Turned the game on just after it happened so hoping they show a replay or can find a clip of it soon.
Suspension earlier in the pre-season. He's not scared to play with an edge imo, just not his sole focus out there.
a Wayne Simmonds lite is all I ask from him. Net front presence with decent play-making/scoring who can hit and do the odd scrap. He's said he refers to himself as more of a skill guy but nice to know he does have a mean streak.

By the time he got out of the box with under 3 mins to go, Windsor was up 3-2 after 5 goals were traded in 11 mins, he had a nice rush off the wing and drove the net and tried to go short side but denied. He then broke up a play in the NZ and finished off the shift with a nice hit along the boards. Flipping over to the Chiefs game but here's a little recap vid of his time with Oshawa:

Reactions: pantherbot

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Noel the big "soft" winger as some refer to just had a fight today, just 18 seconds into the game. Got the 2-5-10 treatment.

Turned the game on just after it happened so hoping they show a replay or can find a clip of it soon.
Suspension earlier in the pre-season. He's not scared to play with an edge imo, just not his sole focus out there.
a Wayne Simmonds lite is all I ask from him. Net front presence with decent play-making/scoring who can hit and do the odd scrap. He's said he refers to himself as more of a skill guy but nice to know he does have a mean streak.

Yeah I think the references to Noel as "soft" are way overblown. Now his "I'm going to pass it unless my shot is perfect" thing? That's real and really annoying, and I still hope someone can coach it into his head that while shooting at a 25% success rate is cool and a "worse shot" has a lesser chance of success, sometimes the goalies do screw up - not to mention, there are always such things as rebounds...

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Friday/Saturday roundup:
WHL:
Rybinski'
s hot streak is over (been pointless three games in a row). On the bright side, after their horrible-awful-no-good-start and being sellers at trade deadline, it looks like his team might just squeak into the playoffs as the second wildcard. This Conner Roulette kid looks pretty good for next year's draft - 1st WHL season and after a slow start getting used to the league has 21 points in the past 17 games on a weak team, being one of the three stars more often than not.
Ludvig with two assists for the weekend; one in a 1-2 OT loss (big goalie battle) and another yesterday in a 6-5 OT win. Liked his effort defending the net on Friday. 6 SOG and +3 yesterday, what else is new. His team sits top in the division and 2nd in the WHL, just three points behind the leader and with four less games played.
Wedman with a goal and an assist in the two weekend games (1-4 and 2-7 losses). Kelowna won just four of the past 13 - still clearly in the playoff spot but not trending the right way.

OHL:
Noel
pointless in his first two games for Kitchener (two 5-2 wins). Meireles pointless on Friday but had a shorthanded goal and a primary shorthanded assist, 1st star on Saturday. Excellent play for the assist - he stole the puck on the blueline, did some great stickhandling to get around two guys and essentially single-handedly created the 2-on-1 which led to the goal. He's short but built heavy; a bit hard to judge since he's a double overager... Still, definitely like him for a bottom 6 NHL guy.
Koly had a goal but was -4 on Friday in a 4-7 loss (TBF, the goalie was positively awful... but also did Koly fall asleep on one of the goals? Kinda just staring there while the guy he was supposed to cover scores.) Didn't play yesterday, not sure why.
Schwindt still out with injury.

College:
Knight
gives up two on Friday in a 3-1 loss and is 3rd star of the game (first pointless game of the season for Hutsko). Gave up three yesterday in a 6-3 win (makes 28 saves on 31 shots so still pretty good effort). 1st star of yesterday's game is Finkelstein who's 1+2 for three points, all three points on the PP (played 1st pairing and finished -2). Had hopes for the kid once; been disappointed since he joined BC but at least he finally seems to be heading back in the right direction. 7th on the team in points (best Dman) and leads the team in blocked shots (which is not saying much as he's 87th in blocked shots per game played league-wide... just shows you how much team is relying on Knight to bail them out). Hutsko also had a goal and an assist in the win (10+6 in 14 GP).
Gildon pointless in a 5-4 OT win. I like him as a prospect but he always seems to start the season really hot and then sort of fades away a bit as the year goes on.
Lindmark pointless in the two weekend games - has really cooled off after a great start. Just two assists in the past ten games (team also has just three wins over that stretch). Inamoto collects an assist for his fourth point of the year; he's 6th in the NCAA in blocked shots per game played (42 BS in 19 GP).

Yeah, Roulette is looking like a 1st round pick for 2021, and that is a very strong draft. I also like their teammate Matt Rempe, 6'8" center, I have to see more of him, but man he is intriguing too for 2021.

I agree on Gildon, I'm tempering my expectations on him, no doubt he has some tantalizing feautures to his game, and he should make it to the show, but I don't see some whiz kid at this point yet. More like a steady bottom pairing guy who could play pp, until he shows different.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah I think the references to Noel as "soft" are way overblown. Now his "I'm going to pass it unless my shot is perfect" thing? That's real and really annoying, and I still hope someone can coach it into his head that while shooting at a 25% success rate is cool and a "worse shot" has a lesser chance of success, sometimes the goalies do screw up - not to mention, there are always such things as rebounds...

Even the Kitchener fans are already wishing he'd shoot more :laugh:
He needs to get stronger to increase the power/threat of his shot. His arms are pretty small and needs to grow into his body. Don't think he'll ever be huge but he's listed at 216lbs already so expect somewhere in the 225-230lb range.
Watched bits of the 2nd period as well and he's been hitting everything in sight.
Not normal for him, here and there but not like this of late.

Sounds like he won the fight pretty easily:

Any clips of the fight? Did you see it live? Just missed it, turned the game on just a couple minutes after it.
He's been noticeably physical in today's game.

I'm here live. He cleaned the other guys clock. It was a short fight but it was all Noel

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@letsgrowcactus , crazy fun game between two of the top OHL teams.
Back and forth game, very physical on both sides.
Went to OT, Meireles had an assist and almost scored the winner in the extra fame, ripping one off the post.
Seconds later, Noel draws a penalty call going east-west in OZ. Feel like he had a good 6-7 hits today and was making some good things happen despite going pointless.
The Windsor goalie made 3-4 highlight reel saves to keep the game alive and his teammates rewarded him, Windors wins 5-4 in OT.

Did not realize Meireles had 36 goals, 97pts in 68 games last year. He's on pace to beat his goals but slightly lower point total with 18 goals and 41pts in 31 games.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Went to OT, Meireles had an assist and almost scored the winner in the extra fame, ripping one off the post.
Seconds later, Noel draws a penalty call going east-west in OZ. Feel like he had a good 6-7 hits today and was making some good things happen despite going pointless.
The Windsor goalie made 3-4 highlight reel saves to keep the game alive and his teammates rewarded him, Windors wins 5-4 in OT.

Did not realize Meireles had 36 goals, 97pts in 68 games last year. He's on pace to beat his goals but slightly lower point total with 18 goals and 41pts in 31 games.

Meireles had a weird start to his season. he had an extended stay in Springfield so he missed a few games off the hop and came back to Kitchener and got injured almost immediately. he missed 10 games total so it took him awhile to get going but he has looked even better than he did in his 97 point campaign last year since about the start of December. definitely someone to keep an eye on for an ELC after this season

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Yeah Meireles was 10th in OHL scoring last year (probably part of why we drafted him).

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
GAME 1 OF BACK TO BACK vs Providence in Springfield:
Well the fun times came to an end last night, Providence put a halt to SPR's 5 game win streak with a score of 5-2.
Providence got out to a 3-0 lead after 40mins and never relinquished it.
The 2 SPR goals were:
Saarela with his 7th from Hunt (9) and Cross (10)
Haggerty with his 6th from Prow (13) and Audette (15)

These teams do not like each other.
Abols and Schemitsch had a fight each and there were 7 unsportsmanlike conducts handed out.
138 PIMS handed out between the two teams.

Desrosiers takes the loss stopping 28/32. Providence moves 1 point ahead of SPR for 3rd now.

GAME 2 OF BACK TO BACK at Providence:
One would assume Montembeault would have started this game, coming off his shutout, if not recalled by emergency today. Borgstrom knocked down to 3C and Heponiemi sits for this one

Providence came out flying in the 1st, out-shooting SPR 16-3 in the 1st to take a 2-0 lead.
Keeper got into some penalty trouble, took a high sticking penalty where Providence scored their 2nd goal
and then he took a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and finished it off with a misconduct for abuse of officials after leaving the box.

15:08 of the 2nd, Tippett scores his 15th from Cross (11th) on the PP to cut the lead by 1.
Providence score just a couple minutes later to restore the two goal lead. Providence lead 3-1 after 40mins.

Providence get awarded a short handed penalty shot and score early in the 3rd to go up 4-1
Less than a minute later,
2:57 of the 3rd, Prow scores his 3rd on the PP from Mangene (7) and Saarela (15)
13:30 of the 3rd, Haggerty makes it interesting, scoring his 7th from Schemitsch (8) to make it 4-3
But just 29 seconds later, Providence goes up 5-3
More roughing penalties and a spearing penalty called on a PRO player.

Desrosiers takes back to back losses, this one, a 5-3 final, stopping 38/43.
Bednard was on on the bench backing up
Providence out-shot Springfield 43 to 24 , and go from 1pt down to 3pts up on SPR now for 3rd in their division.
Frustrating weekend for the Birds. They needed one or two of the wins this weekend to be vs Providence.
Tippett continues to stay hot.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Let's just say I felt bad for the other guy. He barely even got his feet under him before the punches starting raining down.

Nice. Yeah, Noel doesn't go out throw tons of hits every game, but you definitely don't want to piss him off. So he doesn't play like Mark Messier....but he's still gonna be a very effective player in the pros with his set of tools. I think in about 2 years he's gonna be a very nice addition to the Panthers.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
One would assume Montembeault would have started this game, coming off his shutout, if not recalled by emergency today. Borgstrom knocked down to 3C and Heponiemi sits for this one
Yeah, at this point I'm definitely worried about these two and not happy at all with our developement staff.
With Hepo, there was always some worry because of his size (plus he's been known to disappear at higher level aka playoffs), but I see no good reason why Borg should be regressing.
Don't know how to fix it but something needs to happen there and soon.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Pretty sure Heponiemi heads to europe after this season and never sniff NA again

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty sure Heponiemi heads to europe after this season and never sniff NA again

Like I said in the trade proposal thread that Hepo ain't gonna succeed in the NA pro league with his frame. Bulk up for 2-4 years and then we'll talk more.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Ludvig had another really strong game - 1st star, went 1+3, +5 in a 9-4 win. (3rd star of the day in WHL).
37 points in 41 games (3rd among Dmen); now leads the league in +/-, leads the Dmen in goals (13 so far) and is 3rd in Dman points.
I know he's an overager but he's only two months older than some guys who were first-time draft eligible last year and it seems he could be a bit of a late bloomer...
Really curious how he looks in the AHL next year.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Pronman's "top 72 NHL-affiliated prospects":
Denisenko n.5 - says scouts are really torn on him; has him this high because he's betting on his tools and believes he'll put it together
Tippett n.12 - praises his AHL season
Knight ranked n.1 among goalies

Noel, Hutsko, Hepo or any of our Dmen didn't make the list, Borg not eligible.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Pronman's "top 72 NHL-affiliated prospects":
Denisenko n.5 - says scouts are really torn on him; has him this high because he's betting on his tools and believes he'll put it together
Tippett n.12 - praises his AHL season
Knight ranked n.1 among goalies

Noel, Hutsko, Hepo or any of our Dmen didn't make the list, Borg not eligible.
Borg wouldn't have made it even if he was eligible.

Reactions: klabob

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Knight and Gildon nominated for the Hobey Baker Award, though it doesn't mean much especially at this stage when there are some 75 nominees. Gildon probably won't get too many votes but Knight might...
Borg was one of the three finalists a few years back.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
AHL:
SPR @ SYR: Friday January 17th

Springfield get back on the ice to shake a two game losing streak against a middling Syracuse squad (18-17-2-2)
SYR badly outshoot the Birds during the game, 37-23. SPR held to 5 shots in the 1st and 2nd periods but that didn't stop them from getting one in the first 40 mins.

7:21 of the 1st, Prow scores his 4th from Audette (17) and Pecararo (1) to take a 1-0 lead
SYR did tie it up just under 5 mins later. 1-1 tie after 20mins

No scoring in the 2nd period. Fast forward to the 3rd where you know who...

7:04 of the 3rd, Tippett snipes the eventual GWG, his 16th from Schemitsch (12) and Cross (12)
8:19 of the 3rd, Audette scores his 8th from Prow (14) and Rodewald (6)
19:56 of the 3rd, O'Gara seals it with an empty netter, his 2nd, unassisted to make it a 4-1 final

All 4 SPR goals come even strength and Bednard makes his AHL debut stopping 36/37 for his 1st win.
Still have hope Bednard can be a NHL goalie at some point in his career, even as limited of a role it may be.
The Birds move to 22-18-2-0 on the year and play Providence AGAIN on Sunday at 3pm EST

Tippett keeps his hot streak going, 5 goals and 10pts in his last 10 GP. Hasn't missed a game this year, continues to leads the team in goals (16), tied for 1st in assists (17) and leads team with 33pts.
He has a 5 goal and 8 point lead on his next closest teammate.
He's 3rd in both rookie goals and points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad