2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
The Avs are analytics-driven and have not only one of the best top lines in hockey, it's also one of the biggest.

I wouldn’t say the Avalanche are “analytics driven” personally. I would say they “understand how important analytics can be”. It may be semantics on my part, though.

I’m not sure analytics has played a role in having one of the best lines in hockey either. I’m sure you could put that together with the good old eye test.

If I’m running the show I would like analytics to tell me who to possibly target, but I would also like to have have some good eyes on the prospect and develop some kind of “feet on the ground” knowledge of the player before I do anything else. I also think it might have some use in developing lines.

Like you said though, there are bookends of philosophy on either side and probably everything in between.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I wouldn’t say the Avalanche are “analytics driven” personally. I would say they “understand how important analytics can be”

I’m not sure analytics has played a role in having the best line in hockey either. I’m sure you could put that together with the good old eye test.

If I’m running the show I would like analytics to tell me who to possibly target, but I would also like to have have some good eyes on the prospect and develop some kind of “feet on the ground” knowledge of the player before I do anything else.

I also think it might have some use in developing lines.

Like you said though, there are bookends of philosophy on either side and probably everything in between.
Analytics could also tell you whether you could acquire a player that may be underperforming and could be better utilized here. Again you can't only use the eye test or only use analytics though.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad