Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Rangers used to be my second-favorite team. Not anymore. I hate everything they've done since announcing their "rebuild" apart from signing Panarin.

Good luck to Henrik Lundqvist, who's definitely on his way out. A buyout is probably the best option for all parties involved.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Rangers used to be my second-favorite team. Not anymore. I hate everything they've done since announcing their "rebuild" apart from signing Panarin.

Good luck to Henrik Lundqvist, who's definitely on his way out. A buyout is probably the best option for all parties involved.

Just curious, what do you hate that they've done? I think they've handled things the right way by being honest with their fans and not sugarcoating the plan. Teams that try to "retool" rather than "rebuild" often end up in sports purgatory (too bad to win, too good to get top picks). With this rebuild they've built up a top 3 prospect pool while still keeping an entertaining roster. All of their bad contracts come off the books after next year too, except Trouba if you think that's a bad one.

The most annoying thing about the Rangers is that they seem to get all of the top college UFAs, but it's not really their fault that NYC is an attractive destination for a lot of players.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Florida is in a real tough spot. They have some real good players, but ownership doesnt seem fully on board with how things are right now, and they have some of the worst contracts in the league. That Bob one in particular is absolutely awful, like truly the worst in the league levels of bad.

I thought Matheson was going to take that next step toward being a good Top 4 option, but he never took it and now that contract doesn't look good either.

I would also argue Ekblad never really turned into what people were expecting him to when they signed him for 7.5M either.

But on the flip side, I'd kill a man to get Huberdeau or Barkov on this team, Weegar is a good Defender, and young Sam in met would be a better option than Bon at this point.

Ownership is going to be the big problem with them. Cutting costs like they want this offseason is not going to bode well for that organization moving forward at all.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just curious, what do you hate that they've done? I think they've handled things the right way by being honest with their fans and not sugarcoating the plan. Teams that try to "retool" rather than "rebuild" often end up in sports purgatory (too bad to win, too good to get top picks). With this rebuild they've built up a top 3 prospect pool while still keeping an entertaining roster. All of their bad contracts come off the books after next year too, except Trouba if you think that's a bad one.

The most annoying thing about the Rangers is that they seem to get all of the top college UFAs, but it's not really their fault that NYC is an attractive destination for a lot of players.

First off, they weren't really "honest" with their fans. They boldly announced they were rebuilding, and then half-assed their way through it. They truly tanked it for, what, one year? That's not a rebuild. The minute they had cleared cap room they went right back to their free-spending ways. Mind you, if Artemi Panarin was wanting to come to my team, I'd sign him too, so I can't begrudge him too much, but all the moves surrounding that have been mostly bad.

They have NO depth at center to speak of, not to mention no real legit franchise center. I'm a big fan of Mika Zibanejad, but he shouldn't be your best center. At the VERY least they should have a fantastic two-way pivot backing him up. They have...Ryan Strome. Much as I like Filip Chytil, I don't think he's a building block. And they were counting on both him and Lias Andersson to be the future at center for this team. Look how that's gone for 'em.

I also wonder aloud if Trouba and Fox, good as both players are, can be the backbone of a defensive corps.

Also, they're selling Tony frickin' DeAngelo as a central part of their rebuild, as well as Brendan Lemieux. I don't Lemieux, but I REALLY don't like DeAngelo. I don't say this often about hockey players, but he's a truly rotten human being. If he were merely a jerk, I wouldn't care about that.

I don't like David Quinn either. He's everything I dislike about coaches in the NHL. He's basically the anti-Bednar.

Lastly, I don't think their prospect pool is as good as some are touting. And I already have some deep-seated concerns about Kaapo Kaako. I hope I'm wrong, because he'd be a fun player to watch if he pans out, but something already looks very amiss. No matter how you cut it, I think the way the organization has handled their young talent has been abominable, from Kaako to Andersson to just about everyone else. About the only guy they brought along the right way was Shestyorkin (and that's the way it should be spelled BTW, f*** whoever told him to change it to "Shesterkin").

So, maybe they prove me wrong, maybe they don't, but regardless of whether it works or not, I absolutely hate their plan thus far.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
First off, they weren't really "honest" with their fans. They boldly announced they were rebuilding, and then half-assed their way through it. They truly tanked it for, what, one year? That's not a rebuild. The minute they had cleared cap room they went right back to their free-spending ways. Mind you, if Artemi Panarin was wanting to come to my team, I'd sign him too, so I can't begrudge him too much, but all the moves surrounding that have been mostly bad.

They have NO depth at center to speak of, not to mention no real legit franchise center. I'm a big fan of Mika Zibanejad, but he shouldn't be your best center. At the VERY least they should have a fantastic two-way pivot backing him up. They have...Ryan Strome. Much as I like Filip Chytil, I don't think he's a building block. And they were counting on both him and Lias Andersson to be the future at center for this team. Look how that's gone for 'em.

I also wonder aloud if Trouba and Fox, good as both players are, can be the backbone of a defensive corps.

Also, they're selling Tony frickin' DeAngelo as a central part of their rebuild, as well as Brendan Lemieux. I don't Lemieux, but I REALLY don't like DeAngelo. I don't say this often about hockey players, but he's a truly rotten human being. If he were merely a jerk, I wouldn't care about that.

I don't like David Quinn either. He's everything I dislike about coaches in the NHL. He's basically the anti-Bednar.

Lastly, I don't think their prospect pool is as good as some are touting. And I already have some deep-seated concerns about Kaapo Kaako. I hope I'm wrong, because he'd be a fun player to watch if he pans out, but something already looks very amiss. No matter how you cut it, I think the way the organization has handled their young talent has been abominable, from Kaako to Andersson to just about everyone else. About the only guy they brought along the right way was Shestyorkin (and that's the way it should be spelled BTW, f*** whoever told him to change it to "Shesterkin").

So, maybe they prove me wrong, maybe they don't, but regardless of whether it works or not, I absolutely hate their plan thus far.
You might not like Tony DeAngelo as a person, but the guy just put up 53 points in 68 games as a defensemen. He's absolutely a central part of their rebuild.

Reactions: Balthazar

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Today's games feel like such a dejá-vu. Exactly the same two games as yesterday at the same time. The two least interesting matchups as well.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
ownership doesnt seem fully on board with how things are right now

I mean...they are a cap team and hired one of the most expensive coach in the NHL on a multi year contract. They don't make money but they spend as much as anyone. He must have been on board.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Florida is in a real tough spot. They have some real good players, but ownership doesnt seem fully on board with how things are right now, and they have some of the worst contracts in the league. That Bob one in particular is absolutely awful, like truly the worst in the league levels of bad.

I thought Matheson was going to take that next step toward being a good Top 4 option, but he never took it and now that contract doesn't look good either.

I would also argue Ekblad never really turned into what people were expecting him to when they signed him for 7.5M either.

But on the flip side, I'd kill a man to get Huberdeau or Barkov on this team, Weegar is a good Defender, and young Sam in met would be a better option than Bon at this point.

Ownership is going to be the big problem with them. Cutting costs like they want this offseason is not going to bode well for that organization moving forward at all.

Actually, Ekblad is one of the gambles of theirs that paid off--he struggled mightily the first couple years of that deal after Campbell left, but has since evolved into a legit (but maybe short of elite) top defenseman. The problem is that they've done an uproariously bad job of building the D-core around him.

Ownership will always, always be the problem, no matter who they bring in. The issue there is the same issue with Arizona--the league keeps trying to artificially prop up two franchises that have been mismanaged horribly and built rinks in the worst possible areas, and as such are unsustainable. They can parade in all the flake billionaires they want, no one with money and brains is going to come in there and take on a money-hemorrhaging investment like that and make it work. Just...admit defeat and move the damned franchise.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
This Panthers-Isles game has been so boring.
Have Florida always played this passive 'turtle' defense under Quenneville? It looks like they're on the PK at 5v5.

That passivity combined with NYI's trapping makes for pretty boring hockey.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver

Completely agree with their center depth. That's still an area to address. They were counting on one of Chytil, Howden, and Andersson to step up, and none have shown that they're capable at this point. They'll have a lot of cap space after next year to address that issue though. Their future looks really solid at winger (Panarin, Kreider, Kakko, Kravtsov), top 4 D (Fox, Trouba, Miller, DeAngelo, and Lundkvist), and goalie. Obviously, not all of the young players will pan out, but they have a lot of options to work with. I think they'll be a consistent contender in the East in the next 2-3 years.

Also, I don't think Ranger fans should be worried at all about Kakko. He'll be an excellent player for a long time.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean...they are a cap team and hired one of the most expensive coach in the NHL on a multi year contract. They don't make money but they spend as much as anyone. He must have been on board.

They did, but then they also ordered payroll be slashed a few months later. Nothing new from Viola and his brain trust--they're indecisive, impetuous, and meddlesome. This is no different than when they "promoted" Tallon upstairs, went all in on Rowe, then panicked and handed the GM position back to Tallon.

I still don't think they'll just up and blow it up, but I don't think they have any idea of what they're doing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

The Panthers GM has been ordered to shed salary, and tonnes of it... for the following season and season after that. They want to be a cap floor team.

They are definitely not on board anymore.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Completely agree with their center depth. That's still an area to address. They were counting on one of Chytil, Howden, and Andersson to step up, and none have shown that they're capable at this point. They'll have a lot of cap space after next year to address that issue though. Their future looks really solid at winger (Panarin, Kreider, Kakko, Kravtsov), top 4 D (Fox, Trouba, Miller, DeAngelo, and Lundkvist), and goalie. Obviously, not all of the young players will pan out, but they have a lot of options to work with. I think they'll be a consistent contender in the East in the next 2-3 years.

I think they'll be what they've mostly been the last few years--a team that consistently makes the playoffs and does little when there. Maybe a fluke run to the Final like they did a few years ago if they're lucky, but I don't see much beyond that.

It really is criminal how they squandered the talents of Henrik Lundqvist. They got a franchise goalie, the best goalie in that franchise's history, dropped in their laps, and merely used him to prop up all their bad decisions over the years.

The only time I truly thought this team had a glimmer of hope was the last time they "downsized" right before the King's rookie debut, and made some modest signings to kinda weather the storm, then had a surprisingly good run with Straka, Nylander, and Jagr leading the way. Then, of course, as they always do, they went right back to their free-spending ways and even found a way to alienate Jagr.

I feel so bad for K'Andre Miller. I'll be rooting for that kid no matter what, but for him to have to share a locker room with DeAngelo...my God.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Taylor Hall playing like a man possessed in the playoffs. Still think he’s a huge possibility for the Avs. If they can squeeze him in, that makes them the odds-on favourites in the west for the next few years.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Oilers 50/50 tonight already at 2.5 million, definitely going to be another record tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad