2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Must be real fun to cover the Jackets as a journalist. :sarcasm:

All he did was stand behind a bench and he's more of an A hole than the players who had to sit there and answer questions after playing 60 minutes and losing a 5OT game.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Must be real fun to cover the Jackets as a journalist. :sarcasm:

I wonder if he’s like that in all interviews. It feels like he’s being an ass on purpose and not because he’s mad, like it’s a little troll game that he’s playing. Most journalist fall into the trap by asking targeted questions instead of open-ended questions.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
After watching the Chicago-Vegas game I feel pretty confident about my prediction that it'll be a sweep. Vegas were just in total control of that game. Crawford let in two stinkers (one a free-sighted glove-side wrister from the top of the circles, and another wrister from around the same spot that hit his blocker and floated over him and into the net). If Chicago were going to have any chance they would need their PP and Crawford to be strong but that didn't happen.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Some good questions were asked. Like what do you say to your team in the locker room between this many OT periods? Didn't get an answer though.
Is that a good question? What can you really say? Ask about adjustments to lineup due to fatigue. Were you forced to tweek the system to account for players losing step? Did you shorten the shifts etc

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think the Leafs were obsessed with Barrie pre-Dubas. I wonder if higher ups like Shanahan pressured for that trade. It was a bit bizarre at the time, I guess giving them back Kerfoot made it really tempting because they got a competent 3rd line C (in the regular season at least) but they always needed more of a defensive RHD rather than an offensive one.
Analytics GMs are Holy, blameless creatures.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
The way I look at it is- One is quantitative and the other qualitative. I prefer the qualitative (eye test) over the quantitative (stats) because these are human beings we are talking about and we're not entirely quantifiable. However I do think there is room for both, you only have so many eyes.

A player would have to pass my eye test to play on my team, though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The way I look at it is- One is quantitative and the other qualitative. I prefer the qualitative (eye test) over the quantitative (stats) because these are human beings we are talking about and we're not entirely quantifiable. However I do think there is room for both, you only have so many eyes.

A player would have to pass my eye test to play on my team, though.
As I said in a previous post there is a big difference between advanced stats that we can access and that professional organizations have. But as you said there has to be a mix of eye test and stats imo. Stats will never give you the full story, but they can give you insights with out any bias. If you find someone with good stats than you should obviously scout said player to make sure the eye test backs up the stats. Basically any good organization utilizes both ways of scouting.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
As I said in a previous post there is a big difference between advanced stats that we can access and that professional organizations have. But as you said there has to be a mix of eye test and stats imo. Stats will never give you the full story, but they can give you insights with out any bias. If you find someone with good stats than you should obviously scout said player to make sure the eye test backs up the stats. Basically any good organization utilizes both ways of scouting.

Pretty much, yeah....

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

A massive difference indeed.

A lot of what we as fans have access to is largely useless because it can be manipulated to fit any story you want to make with other stats.

I would love to just see what kind of different things team analytic separate access too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A massive difference indeed.

A lot of what we as fans have access to is largely useless because it can be manipulated to fit any story you want to make with other stats.

I would love to just see what kind of different things team analytic separate access too.
Same. I don’t care much for public advanced stats for that exact reason. There’s not enough context added to them, so it’s incredibly easy to manipulate them. But to say their useless is just ignorant, they have a place and should be used, not as gospel though. But maybe the ones teams have can be, I’m not sure.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Same. I don’t care much for public advanced stats for that exact reason. There’s not enough context added to them, so it’s incredibly easy to manipulate them. But to say their useless is just ignorant, they have a place and should be used, not as gospel though. But maybe the ones teams have can be, I’m not sure.

Agree. Analytics can only tell you so much and you need eye-test/scouting to understand the context of underlying stats. Analytics also don't tell you much about a players character or psychology which is also a huge part of scouting/team building.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If Tyson Barrie played up to his capabilities, that trade doesn't look so bad for Toronto and there's probably a large portion of their fanbase wanting to re-sign him, just like there was here.

Tyson Barrie ****ing sucking this entire season and not meshing with anyone on that team is why that trade looks horrible now.
The deal looks great for us and very bad for them because one GM traded for a piece he needed to fill a big hole (Kadri) while using an asset (Barrie) that had a lot of value and was expandable due to Makar. The other GM traded an asset that they still needed (two-way C with a great contract) for a player that was a bad fit for their team. It can be argued that Barrie was a need for them but unfortunately the team was very poorly built for him. The way the team was built at the time (and still is) they needed a strong two-way RHD. Barrie is definitely not that.

I agree with most though that Barrie would still be with the Avs if Makar didn't prove right away his worth.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Analytics GMs are Holy, blameless creatures.
I'm not convinced some of these so called analytical GMs even bring in that many players that look good analytically.

In comparison nearly all the players the Avs are getting lately have solid looking fancy stats. Its not a coincidence and no doubt analytics mean a lot for the Avs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not convinced some of these so called analytical GMs even bring in that many players that look good analytically.

In comparison nearly all the players the Avs are getting lately have solid looking fancy stats. Its not a coincidence and no doubt analytics mean a lot for the Avs.

Which GMs are "analytical"? We know Dubas is, and we know Bob Murray in Anaheim is not. But everyone in between? A vast majority of them have analytics guys on their staffs. Does that make them "analytical"?

I'd say Sakic is definitely analytics-savvy. A lot of recent acquisitions appear to be reflective of analytics. Burakovsky, Bellemare, and Calvert all have very good underlying numbers. Pretty sure they held onto

BriseBois is definitely an "analytics" GM, but--and this was obviously a direct response to what happened against Columbus last postseason--he went out and got a bunch of guys who definitely did not fit the mold of possession metrics (Coleman, Maroon, Goodrow, Bogosian).

That said, it's impossible to build an all-analytics team, and really I don't think you should. I'll also add that this prevailing myth that Dubas and others like him just want to build a roster of little, speedy guys is nonsense. The Avs are analytics-driven and have not only one of the best top lines in hockey, it's also one of the biggest. Same goes for Toronto--say what you want about Tavares and Matthews, they ain't little guys.

Chayka remains the guy with whom the jury is still out. He was sold as a computer boy but he also made a lot of moves that ran counter to what the stats said to do. We still don't really know how savvy he was on the numbers and how much they swayed his decision-making process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad