2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
So...

Go Jets, Go Canes and........Go Wild?

Jets/Flames: I guess it depends on the Jets injury situation. If they’re fully healthy they’re the superior club imo, but the Flames have been a lot better in this series.

Rangers/Canes: Don’t care. I probably like the Rangers more, but it doesn’t matter too much to me.

Wild/Canucks: I think the Avs beat both of them. Part of me would love to see a Hughes/Makar matchup. I’ll probably cheer for the Wild though given how the Calder debate’s gone, but I prefer watching Vancouver.

I know a lot of people here hate the Wild, but I’ve long reserved most of my hate for the Stars and now the Blues.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They swap sometimes.. he really doesn't seem to do much of anything other than shoot it into shin pads. Rielly is generally much better on that unit but does similar things. I'm honestly shocked at how bad Barrie has been for us. There is just no creativity or anything to his game. He's just a guy out there. I don't know if he just doesn't fit with our team what but just so underwhelming in every facet.

Near as I can tell, Babcock (and his assistants, who were not there last year) destroyed his game, and he never really got a chance to reclaim it. I can assure you there's plenty of creativity to his game.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He's not as good as some Avs fans think he is but not as bad as he's been in Toronto either. It will be interesting to see how he plays with his new team next season.

Also that trade to Toronto will end up costing him quite a few million dollars.
Barrie can be very good if a coach tailors a system around maximising his strengths. He's not particularly good at outlet passes, but give him the puck with speed and let him rush it through the neutral zone and he'll create offense. Conversely, if a coach neuters those rushes by forcing him to stick to breakout passes he'll naturally look pretty bland.

Reactions: Foppa2118

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Jets/Flames: I guess it depends on the Jets injury situation. If they’re fully healthy they’re the superior club imo, but the Flames have been a lot better in this series.

Rangers/Canes: Don’t care. I probably like the Rangers more, but it doesn’t matter too much to me.

Wild/Canucks: I think the Avs beat both of them. Part of me would love to see a Hughes/Makar matchup. I’ll probably cheer for the Wild though given how the Calder debate’s gone, but I prefer watching Vancouver.

I know a lot of people here hate the Wild, but I’ve long reserved most of my hate for the Stars and now the Blues.

I think the Avs can get into the Flames heads again, especially when we now have Kadri in the mix on top of Calvert and Z

I personally really like the Canes and they're the team im pulling for if we exit

Agreed on the Wild/Nucks matchup

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They swap sometimes.. he really doesn't seem to do much of anything other than shoot it into shin pads. Rielly is generally much better on that unit but does similar things. I'm honestly shocked at how bad Barrie has been for us. There is just no creativity or anything to his game. He's just a guy out there. I don't know if he just doesn't fit with our team what but just so underwhelming in every facet.

To be honest, I never thought there was a ton of creativity in Barrie's game.

He was mostly a north south, speedy puck mover, who just worked on his strengths every year to get them to a high level, and also really improved his PP QB ability the last couple years with the Avs.

Barrie was really good at walking the line to open up a shooting lane, or timing the wrist shot through traffic so it avoided shin pads and hit the net. So I'm a little surprised he hasn't been getting his shots through.

Maybe he just isn't clicking with the PP setup? :dunno: As @Richard88 mentioned, you really do need to draw up a system around him, to get him to play to his potential.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I find it really strange that WPG/CGY will have 3 games completed before VAN/MIN’s 2nd game even begins. It’s not like they had to schedule around Concerts/NBA games for one specific home team lol.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Oh maaaan James Reimer with a series of unbelievable saves. Rangers had like 4 shots in a row from the crease from various angles, and even Vatanen made a shoulder save, unreal how they kept that out.

Reactions: The Shermanator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad