2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That isn't to say he's bad. He's going to make a very fine 2nd pairing defensemen for years to come. But the guy gets lost in coverage an incredible amount.
I see it as inexperience maybe like Graves than a lack of ability, but I am with you that Girard even with physical limitations possesses levels of better IQ ability and that way gets him out of trouble. I see Bear as the next generation of Dillon, perhaps better in potential (aka more offensive output).

Oiler fans are particularly crazy when it comes to overvaluing their own players, take a lot of their opinions with less than grains of salt. From the history I've had with them, they are probably the third or fourth most insane fanbase on this site after Rangers (1), Canucks (2), and what other original six team is doing good (3/4).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I know some of our Avs board doesn’t travel to the main board, so I’ll drop this here as well.

Just for some fun discussion I started a thread comparing Top Young Defenceman: Dahlin/Hughes/Heiskanen/Makar on the main board.

So far here are the votes on who people think will end up the best of the bunch.

Dahlin firmly in first as expected, with Heiskanen establishing a foothold in second with a good amount of votes as well.

Dahlin: 26
Heiskanen: 12
Makar: 7
Hughes: 6
McAvoy: 3
Chabot: 1

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I know some of our Avs board doesn’t travel to the main board, so I’ll drop this here as well.

Just for some fun discussion I started a thread comparing Top Young Defenceman: Dahlin/Hughes/Heiskanen/Makar on the main board.

So far here are the votes on who people think will end up the best of the bunch.

Dahlin firmly in first as expected, with Heiskanen establishing a foothold in second with a good amount of votes as well.

Votes seem right to me. Dahlin is the clear option to become the best dman in the league. Heiskanen has already proved to be a shutdown 1D and then Makar and Hughes are pretty evenly matched.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Basically how I'd expect it to... McAvoy is a bit under appreciated.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To be fair, I didn’t include him in my initial list. So, some may have just not been thinking about him, when they made their selection.

To me he is right up there with Heiskanen. When he gets Krug's PP time next year, his offensive numbers will take off.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
To me he is right up there with Heiskanen. When he gets Krug's PP time next year, his offensive numbers will take off.

I had a long argument with a Bruins fan about this on the main board.

In short, I don’t think he’ll be quite as good as Dahlin/Heiskanen/Makar/Hughes when all players reach their peaks.

But, I don’t have the energy to do battle on it again haha

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Not very important in the grand scheme, but it’s sad that we will not get a playoff run the year that we finally have a contender.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Not very important in the grand scheme, but it’s sad that we will not get a playoff run the year that we finally have a contender.

I’m still holding out hope that they might start the playoffs in the summer and then do a shortened 42 game schedule next year. Similar to the lockout season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Werenski wasn’t getting any love on the main board, maybe because of the Jones factor.

I'd say that and people just don't watch Columbus... Werenski has as much offensive potential as anybody there (if not more) and holds his own defensively on a top pairing. When the season stopped, Werenski lead the NHL is goals by a defensemen by 4 goals on probably the worst offensive team outside of Detroit.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Will be interesting to see how some of these rankings change in the next few years. Or even at the end of next year.

Makar was on pace for 17 goals and 72 points over 82 games as a rookie. He also hit about 10 posts, and set up a bunch of almost goals that teammates weren't ready for because they're not completely used to his creativity.

Also played a lot of the season without skilled guys like Mikko, Landy, and Kadri.

Once he fine tunes his shot and his teammates learn to always be ready for his passes, this kid is gonna have a 30 goal, 90-100 point season one year.

If he can produce like that, even at their peaks, he's gonna be tough to beat in a ranking. Especially if he rounds out his defense.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
My hometown Regina Pats get to draft the first ever exceptional status kid in the WHL.
Probably get season tickets assuming there is one next year. Anyone able to comment on Connor Bedard?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My hometown Regina Pats get to draft the first ever exceptional status kid in the WHL.
Probably get season tickets assuming there is one next year. Anyone able to comment on Connor Bedard?
I haven't watched him, but I got friends in the area who mention that he might be the best Canadian prospect since McDavid and even over Shane Wright. Personally, I think it is beyond strange to deny Savoie exceptional status and then randomly allow Bedard as Savoie actually posted better stats at the same age across the board. However, doing some extra reading it sounds like Savoie wouldn't sign to play for any team and because of that he was denied. Just crazy to see a WHL eligible player get it, they draft bantams instead of midgets so they are always harsher on allowing younger players a level higher. Style wise, I've seen the name MacKinnon thrown around, not sure how much that works as I've only seen highlights.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd put Bedard a notch below Wright. Wright is special and I'd say he's better than McDavid at the same age. To me Wright is McDavid with better goal scoring ability and doesn't lose anything in other areas. Not that Bedard is bad (he looks like a top 5 pick in the making), but just a notch down. His size in the Dub will probably be an issue next season too. That issue in general is probably why the Dub hasn't granted exceptional before, but the Savoie drama is probably going to loosen that going forward (Dub was right on Savoie not being ready too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad