2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I appreciate your positivism but I think there is no chance in hell we'll see gatherings like that before the end of June.

If by gatherings you mean "a crowd going to a sporting event" it's going to be closer to June 2021 than June 2020.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Best Athletic article ever written

The 2020 NHL broadcast rankings: The best and worst markets...

I don't agree with some of them, especially a lot of the Canadian ones (like Montreal English is brutal with Bartlett and Galley). Pang is an insane homer on the level of Remenda, surprised to see him get a lot of love. Eddie O talks analyses the game like his audience is 5 years old, but not surprising the love he gets. However, with some issues aside - which are more personal opinions of myself - I highly recommend everyone to read it as it is quite accurate overall

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

I don't agree with some of them, especially a lot of the Canadian ones (like Montreal English is brutal with Bartlett and Galley). Pang is an insane homer on the level of Remenda, surprised to see him get a lot of love. Eddie O talks analyses the game like his audience is 5 years old, but not surprising the love he gets. However, with some issues aside - which are more personal opinions of myself - I highly recommend everyone to read it as it is quite accurate overall
Joe Beninati in Washington has my favorite voice for a PBP guy. His calls for goals always sound so meaningful and carry a lot of weight due to his voice alone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Best part:

“Currently our local coverage is blacked out due to a contract dispute between the station and two of three providers in (the) Denver/Colorado area,” said one respondent who offered up a negative rating. The comment was unique not so much for its content as for its lack of profanity."

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I agree with a lot of it, especially the top five. John Kelly's voice always brings back fond memories for me.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

And there likely goes the season. It will be hard to finish up the regular season to a equal point (say all teams to 73 games), execute playoffs, hold a draft and offseason within a reasonable timeframe and give players an acceptable time off to start up next season.

I’m late to the party, but God this sucks. What a pickle.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Playoffs might still happen. If not, I hope that Avs just like any other top team has a chance to draft 1OA in the draft.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sam Girard is better than Ethan Bear, right?

Or is my Avalanche bias clouding my judgement?

They are within a realm of eachother, but Bear needs to show a little more for me to consider them equals. Offensively, Girard is more impactful right now. I think Bear has a similar upside in that area, but he's only been established for a season now... so a little early to see where Bear is at in that area (and Bear isn't a big part of Edmonton's powerplay). Transition, Girard is superior. He's a better puck mover and is more consistent at tilting the ice (again Girard is more established, so Bear may still adjust up). Where Bear is better, is defensively once a team is established in the zone. He can play a more physical game and handle bigger forwards without having to rely on skating. He can PK at a fairly high level too. I'd say both are #3s right now, but Girard is the superior player. If Bear's offense comes around at a ~35-40 point level next season, I could see the argument swapping. Both are very solid young defensemen with bright futures.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sam Girard is better than Ethan Bear, right?

Or is my Avalanche bias clouding my judgement?

They are within a realm of eachother, but Bear needs to show a little more for me to consider them equals. Offensively, Girard is more impactful right now. I think Bear has a similar upside in that area, but he's only been established for a season now... so a little early to see where Bear is at in that area (and Bear isn't a big part of Edmonton's powerplay). Transition, Girard is superior. He's a better puck mover and is more consistent at tilting the ice (again Girard is more established, so Bear may still adjust up). Where Bear is better, is defensively once a team is established in the zone. He can play a more physical game and handle bigger forwards without having to rely on skating. He can PK at a fairly high level too. I'd say both are #3s right now, but Girard is the superior player. If Bear's offense comes around at a ~35-40 point level next season, I could see the argument swapping. Both are very solid young defensemen with bright futures.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Playoffs might still happen. If not, I hope that Avs just like any other top team has a chance to draft 1OA in the draft.
Avs winning the lottery in a year where they were cup contenders would be the ultimate great karma after losing twice (although the outcome wasn't all that bad).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t like the person I become when I go to the main board.

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-7_19-3-40.gif
    upload_2020-4-7_19-3-40.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: MonsterMack

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh I disagree strongly here. I'm not sure what the numbers will say, but having watched every Oilers game this season I would take Girard defensively over Bear in a heartbeat.

Ethan Bear gets lost an absurd amount of times defensively where his man just gets away from him. He's more physical, no doubt about it. That might be all he has on Girard in that regard defensively.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh I disagree strongly here. I'm not sure what the numbers will say, but having watched every Oilers game this season I would take Girard defensively over Bear in a heartbeat.

Ethan Bear gets lost an absurd amount of times defensively where his man just gets away from him. He's more physical, no doubt about it. That might be all he has on Girard in that regard defensively.

Once a team is established in the zone... G is better at preventing a team from getting established and the quality of his defense is mainly from limited sustained pressure. When he gets trapped, it starts to fall apart (doesn't help with EJ mostly as G's partner who also isn't good in this area). Bear is better and more versatile are breaking up the other team's offense when the pressure ratchets up. Both can get scrambly when covering for long periods of time. Bear is just better at breaking that down.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Once a team is established in the zone... G is better at preventing a team from getting established and the quality of his defense is mainly from limited sustained pressure. When he gets trapped, it starts to fall apart (doesn't help with EJ mostly as G's partner who also isn't good in this area). Bear is better and more versatile are breaking up the other team's offense when the pressure ratchets up. Both can get scrambly when covering for long periods of time. Bear is just better at breaking that down.
Again, I disagree. But we aren't going to agree on this matter. And like I said, I don't know what the numbers say so they could paint a very different picture of what Ethan Bear does defensively. But to me, he is in no way better than Girard defensively other than his physical nature.

That isn't to say he's bad. He's going to make a very fine 2nd pairing defensemen for years to come. But the guy gets lost in coverage an incredible amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad