2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

And there likely goes the season. It will be hard to finish up the regular season to a equal point (say all teams to 73 games), execute playoffs, hold a draft and offseason within a reasonable timeframe and give players an acceptable time off to start up next season.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

And there likely goes the season. It will be hard to finish up the regular season to a equal point (say all teams to 73 games), execute playoffs, hold a draft and offseason within a reasonable timeframe and give players an acceptable time off to start up next season.

I appreciate the info Hench, but I can’t like this post. :(

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Without fans?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

This is all dependent on starting the next season on time. Which I would be surprised if they did anyway. They need to get some data on whether the next wave of COVID in the winter is bad or not, and they won't have that before the beginning of October.

They can still pack all these things into the summer/fall, and then do a shortened season next year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I just do not understand what goes in this type of thinking. I mean by all mean, ban it all the way to June 30th, but for godsake take it weeks at a time. The studies are changing all the freakin' time, this seems like overkill to me. Nobody knows what will happen three months from now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah it just isn't realistic to have the games with how people react to sports... along with that, the definition of public event could be quite broad. With both teams, coaching staffs, training staffs, medical personnel, and media crews... you're talking ~150-200 people at minimum. It simply isn't the 40 playing the game, but everybody around them too.

I just do not understand what goes in this type of thinking. I mean by all mean, ban it all the way to June 30th, but for godsake take it weeks at a time. The studies are changing all the freakin' time, this seems like overkill to me. Nobody knows what will happen three months from now.

Completely agree... in two weeks we will have much better data than we do now. I personally don't see the use in canceling months out. A couple/few weeks, by all means. Months is completely overkill.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah it just isn't realistic to have the games with how people react to sports... along with that, the definition of public event could be quite broad. With both teams, coaching staffs, training staffs, medical personnel, and media crews... you're talking ~150-200 people at minimum. It simply isn't the 40 playing the game, but everybody around them too.

If the numbers go down over spring/summer, and the guidelines about not gatherings in groups are lifted, this isn't an issue.

The start of next season is more in doubt IMO because it coincides with the start of flu season in the fall, and they don't know whether there will be a strong resurgence or not.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A lot of epidemiologists are predicting a 2nd wave, so I don't necessarily think this is overkill.

There will certainly be a second and third waves of the virus... but we simply don't know enough about it, and likely won't by May, to know how severe it will be. We don't know how this virus reacts to heat and humidity. There are early signs, but they are early. It could be that because of the summer weather here, that we don't see a strong second wave until September. Could be it hits in May. IMO we as a society are making a mistake based upon limited and erroneous data. Were in the midst of a wave now and we know it, we are shut down so we should stay shut down until a clear opportunity presents itself. But saying with certainty through June 30th is a mistake to me. It is setting up a situation where any slight uptick in June causes a shutdown until the end of August. Even if it is a controllable uptick.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
There will certainly be a second and third waves of the virus... but we simply don't know enough about it, and likely won't by May, to know how severe it will be. We don't know how this virus reacts to heat and humidity. There are early signs, but they are early. It could be that because of the summer weather here, that we don't see a strong second wave until September. Could be it hits in May. IMO we as a society are making a mistake based upon limited and erroneous data. Were in the midst of a wave now and we know it, we are shut down so we should stay shut down until a clear opportunity presents itself. But saying with certainty through June 30th is a mistake to me. It is setting up a situation where any slight uptick in June causes a shutdown until the end of August. Even if it is a controllable uptick.

I certainly hope it's overkill, and perhaps Toronto revisits this decision maybe in a month or so. We know pretty much everything will be shut down over the course of April, and I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel by May.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I certainly hope it's overkill, and perhaps Toronto revisits this decision maybe in a month or so. We know pretty much everything will be shut down over the course of April, and I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel by May.

All I'm saying is they should wait for more information. They could wait until April 30th and have another month's worth of data, and still be able to cancel until June 30th.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel the opposite. If it's safe, I'd rather they finish this season by going straight to the playoffs, then start late next year.

The Avs could legitimately win the Cup right now. Especially with the extra time to get fully healthy.

2 playoff runs > 1 playoff run.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I’m still all about this season.

Even if it meant next season was only 60 games I still want this one to play out. Remember a 60 game NHL season starts maybe mid-November which means November-April will be the same as every other season.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I guess they could have some butchered form of playoffs in July, but I don't see it. I think this is one we just have to write off.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Delete

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    875.8 KB · Views: 1
  • giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    875.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Pokecheque

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I appreciate your positivism but I think there is no chance in hell we'll see gatherings like that before the end of June. Just add together the fact that things will keep getting worst in Canada and the US for a while, likely a really long while given the current thrend, the delay in imposing proper measures in many places and the knowledge gathered from other countries, then a reasonable healing period and minimum quarantine requirements afterward for leftover contagion and that tells you that counting in weeks is ridiculous. This will last many months...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
WTH is wrong with this board. I post one reply it multiplies for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->