Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's actually very true. You won't find a world class attacker in history who didn't rank extremely well in those two categories. Goals win games. Goals and assists contribute to goals. Attackers gain plaudits mainly for how they influence goals.

You will however find plenty who ranked high in dribbles, WhoScored ratings, key passes, crosses completed, etc.

You will actually find a lot. Traore is not world class and nobody ever said that. Figo, Nedved, and Giggs are some players who totally disprove this idea that only goals and assists matter.

Reactions: les Habs

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't believe Sancho staying long term. He'll be gone within 2 years max when they transfer some of their other players to bigger clubs.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If you are a club that is 1 injury from a "disaster", and one of your players gets hurt all the time, then you should purchase some depth while the transfer window is open.

All players in Spain have to have buyout clauses. The issue isn't with the buyout clause itself, it's that the emergency transfer rule didn't consider how it would work with buyout clauses.

I don't disagree they should have purchased depth. I said more than once they should have purchased Olmo on top of putting forward more direct replacements for Suarez. That said, regardless of Dembele's injury track record you're likely not going to predict an injury that keeps him sidelined that long.

Well you can go either way, but I'd say that the buyout clauses are as much an issue. No buyout clause and Leganes holds firm until they get a deal they want.

For the record, I'm against an emergency transfer rule simply because I think the current transfer windows offer enough of an opportunity for any club to make the transfers they see as necessary. Still this thread is a storm in a teacup over the rule with some of the usual suspects reacting in their usual way.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The only two stats that matter for an attacker, goals and assists. Why is this so hard to understand?

Yes, it is a serious question. If you are using an extremely small sample size of games, it really doesn't matter whether the good performances come against the good or bad teams. What matters is the full performance at the end of the season. You can't pick and choose what matters. You seem to want to do a lot of this. Certain stats, certain games. It doesn't work that way, in my opinion. If the full picture isn't good, it doesn't matter whether you can cherry pick one pixel of the picture as a good thing.

You've quoted me a few times in this discussion, but you didn't quote exactly what I stated with that comment, and deliberately distorted the context. Thats dishonest. Unless you are dumb, you should be aware of the difference between the context behind what I meant and what you claimed I meant.

What's so hard to understand is that you said that I didn't take all of his stats into account and that you did when in actuality I'm the one who actually posted his goals and assists. And no, goals and assists aren't the only two stat that matter for an attacker. That's another ridiculous statement.

Newsflash, the season isn't over yet! How would I use his full season performance when the season isn't over yet? Oh yeah, I can't. As for picking and choosing what matters, that's an incredibly stupid comment for you to make. In the same post as I'm quoting you saying that you are also saying "the only two stats that matter for an attacker, goals and assists", which again you didn't bring to the table in the first place. That's not to mention the whole story that some of us combined have presented compared to the very little you've presented. You're either incredibly hypocritical, incredibly stupid, or both.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. What's more, you still can't clearly state (or more likely won't, and I don't blame you) how I misrepresented you or deliberately distorted the context. As for what you meant, go ahead and clarify for whatever it is you're referring to.

You can post whatever you want, but your posts have been shockingly poor from the moment you commented on Traore by saying he "isn't actually good" and "he's talked about because he's strong. That's about it." That is an awful take and you've offered virtually nothing to back that up.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yesterday I played pickup and scored five goals. Sign me up Arsenal.

Wow, way to set your sights low. Five goals and you only want to play for Arsenal?

Isn't that Ceballos in the photo? Imagine tweeting that and using a picture with Ceballos in it.

I don't believe Sancho staying long term. He'll be gone within 2 years max when they transfer some of their other players to bigger clubs.

He'll be gone within 6 months max.

Reactions: Cassano

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It's actually very true. You won't find a world class attacker in history who didn't rank extremely well in those two categories. Goals win games. Goals and assists contribute to goals. Attackers gain plaudits mainly for how they influence goals.

You will however find plenty who ranked high in dribbles, WhoScored ratings, key passes, crosses completed, etc.

Some of the best attackers of all time were not among the very elite in goals and assists. Pavel Nedved, Dennis Bergkamp, Eric Cantona, Francesco Totti, Nandor Hidegkuti and Johan Cruyff are some examples.

Today, the likes of Firmino, Benzema and Lautaro Martinez are examples of world class attackers who don’t score at elite rates and there are so many more.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
And another layer to the Camavinga link is that Rennes is a Puma club, like Dortmund. A big reason why we signed Dembele from Rennes a few years ago was because of the Puma link. I think that could help here.
That was and is still mind boggling in my mind... why did Rennes sold Dembele for only €15M while he was easily worth €50M+ just because of the Puma link... Fast forward only a year later and Dembele was sold for €120M to Barca. Rennes got bent over over a shady connection with Puma. At least this time it is €50M for Camavinga.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Wow, way to set your sights low. Five goals and you only want to play for Arsenal?

Isn't that Ceballos in the photo? Imagine tweeting that and using a picture with Ceballos in it.

I think the picture encapsulates how Arsenal fans will feel if they get Mkhitaryan off the books.

TBF, I think it was a mistake loaning him out. He looked decent enough at the start of the year. And we no longer create - he would've helped.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was and is still mind boggling in my mind... why did Rennes sold Dembele for only €15M while he was easily worth €50M+ just because of the Puma link... Fast forward only a year later and Dembele was sold for €120M to Barca. Rennes got bent over over a shady connection with Puma. At least this time it is €50M for Camavinga.

I’m sure they were compensated by Puma. A lot of these transfers are fixed at certain prices for public image, and then there’s under the table money or some type of easy incentive bonus to hit that gets added on to compensate for the price of the agreed fee that the public knows about compared to the market value.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Overrated. Best season is only 8 goals, that’s relegation level.

He had 22 assists in his prime, so that’s a blatant distortion of the subject matter. He didn’t even play as an attacker his whole career, and his best statistical seasons were as an attacker.

And that’ll be the end of this discussion from my end because no one here wants to discuss the subject matter honestly.

When you can’t make a better argument, distort what the discussion is. A lot of you did that here. Go ahead and think Traore is a great player. It doesn’t bother me. Just don’t tell me that my opinion is wrong when you don’t even want to properly represent what the discussion is about.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

This is all media driven. I find it a little strange how people are so sure about Sancho leaving in the summer window based off nothing other than the media thinks it should happen.

This isn’t Sky Sports decision. They might prefer he play at Manchester United or Chelsea because English players aren’t allowed to play outside the Premier League, but those with a say in this decision haven’t commented on it. It seems premature to say it’s a certainty.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think it is a bit disingenuous to suggest G+A totals are all that matters for attacking players. There was a time when Darren Bent was a prolific scorer in the PL, but never secured a move to the top level clubs because of his overall play. I mean, he has more career PL goals than Didier Drogba.

Iniesta has a career 0.32 Goals/Assists per 90 mins
Lampard has a career 0.53 Goals/Assists per 90 mins
Fabregas has a career 0.57 Goals/Assists per 90 mins
Ozil has a care 0.6 Goals/Assists per 90 mins
C. Eriksen has a career 0.61 Goals/Assist per 90 mins

I would rank the players in reverse order in terms of careers.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

He is having a great season in championship and he insanely talented - dribbling, passing, shooting, free kicks. (right footed; left foot is good in close range)
Fast
Hazardesque ball control
Decision making can be better, but it's not too bad either

Not sure about his stamina/endurance since I have watched only 1 full Brentford match

Bright future is he keeps the right attitude

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds like Upamecano decided against signing with Bayern. They are now claiming he’s too expensive for his price tag, even though they’ve overpaid for worse CB’s last summer. Bayern always does this when a player doesn’t want to play for them.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This is all media driven. I find it a little strange how people are so sure about Sancho leaving in the summer window based off nothing other than the media thinks it should happen.

This isn’t Sky Sports decision. They might prefer he play at Manchester United or Chelsea because English players aren’t allowed to play outside the Premier League, but those with a say in this decision haven’t commented on it. It seems premature to say it’s a certainty.

Nothing to do with the media for me. I think he moves because a big club with money comes in for him and he makes the move.

Reactions: Cassano

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Supposedly United have eyes for all FOUR of the following players....

Jack Grealish, Jadon Sancho, James Maddison and Declan Rice with Paul Pogba heading out the door....

Not a fan of any of those moves.

In other United news.... potential altering the transfer market landscape is the Saudi’s under Crown Prince Mohammed new “any day now” 3+ billion bid for the Red Devils is incoming.....yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad