Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not going to be a Salah replacement for a while as he won't be sold. We need another striker to deal with teams that try to be like Atletico.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Jonathan David getting some looks from decent clubs. Excited to see where this kid can go!
If I were him I’d go to Netherlands or stay in Belgium another year and go to a mid table German team so he can get playing time. If he goes to one of those decent clubs too early, he will stall out, not get playing time, and ruin his future.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If I were him I’d go to Netherlands or stay in Belgium another year and go to a mid table German team so he can get playing time. If he goes to one of those decent clubs too early, he will stall out, not get playing time, and ruin his future.

I would agree. If he goes to a bigger club where minutes are limited, I would hope he gets loaned out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not going to be a Salah replacement for a while as he won't be sold. We need another striker to deal with teams that try to be like Atletico.
That's because Firmino is not good enough, he would be half the player if he wasn't in Klopp's system. If Salah or Mane don't score, then Liverpool won't be getting goals from anybody. What's their saving grace is half of Africa's GDP backline and CDM who're able to prevent goals better than them scoring goals.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's because Firmino is not good enough, he would be half the player if he wasn't in Klopp's system. If Salah or Mane don't score, then Liverpool won't be getting goals from anybody. What's their saving grace is half of Africa's GDP backline and CDM who're able to prevent goals better than them scoring goals.

This is really wrong and that's putting it nicely.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Hattrick for David today, rather than staying in Belgium his development would be better served by moving to a top 5-6 team in France or Germany, maybe even Italy. Thre's probably a spot available In Leverkusen when they sell some of their top players in the summer, ditto for Lyon in France. Rennes looks like making Europe for next season, Lille has a good track record of developing attacking players in recent years.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hattrick for David today, rather than staying in Belgium his development would be better served by moving to a top 5-6 team in France or Germany, maybe even Italy. Thre's probably a spot available In Leverkusen when they sell some of their top players in the summer, ditto for Lyon in France. Rennes looks like making Europe for next season, Lille has a good track record of developing attacking players in recent years.
I could see that. My point was more of he should go to a team that he will get playing time. I wouldn’t go to Lyon or Leverkusen unless they sell Dembele and Volland. He needs playing time more than anything. I think eventually he will end up at a big team but going there now and sitting on the bench could ruin his development.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

This transfer probably relegates Leganes.

Would you look at that trolling. You really roped some dopes with this campaign.

No matter how you slice it, a smaller club at the end of this will be screwed. Will Leganes get a chance to replace Braithwaite? Suarez got hurt in January, and Dembele has a pretty long injury history, so they should've done their business in January. They knew the situation they were in.

LOL, they should have predicted Dembele's injury...

I agree with the others that say that the rule is unfair. It looks to me like it is an outdated rule that made sense in another era and that people just forgot or no one was expected to use. It is even sadder to see a team with vast resources like Barcelona use it to poach a vital player from a team facing relegation so that they can staple him to the bench.

Who do you support again? See below:

There have been instances of teams using this rule before, I recall Real using and no riots thrown around here

Not sure I recall that, at least outside the window. They did make some dumb January signings though.

Imagine RM paying a release clause for a Barca player in February. Scenes would be insane.

Totally agree. I'd be celebrating like crazy because they'd be paying a mint for a player we don't want anyway.

If it were Real Madrid doing this there would be some very different tunes.

Exactly. You wouldn't have even commented.

Solution 1: eliminate the rule and punish clubs for lack of depth or poor planning.

Solution 2: allow clubs in Leganes' position to immediately replace their players with players from outside the league. I say from outside the league because if they buy from within the league and every seller is allowed to buy, then there's a never-ending transfer cycle.

Solution 3: Make your contract offers with more prohibitive buyout clauses.

The issues with the rule is that there will be some differing opinion on whether an injury is actually a 5+ month injury or not and that all players in Spain have release clauses. It would be completely difference if Leganes agreed to the deal and sold by their choice outside of the transfer window.

Apply the same situation to England, and one of Chelsea, United, or Tottenham trigger a release clause of one of the top players on Sheffield. Even though that player might not make an impact one their new club, it'll deal a big blow to Sheffield competing for a top 4 spot.

The best way to handle it is to not allow release clauses for emergency transfers, but I have a feeling that wouldn't work legally. The other way is to get rid of them and have the team with injuries to use reserves, youth, or free agents. That team should've acquired proper depth while the window was open.

The issue here is the buyout clause. No buyout clause and Leganes asks for notably more.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It’s pretty simple.

You took part of his stats into account, not all of them. I took all of them. When you look at the full picture, he doesn’t produce at a high level. You can’t pick and choose what matters to what best suits your argument.

Why does it matter how he does in a few select games against good teams? Why should I believe that’s not a fluke and how does it make him a better player that he’s done well this season against the good teams and poorly against the bad teams?

And you also said I haven’t watched him play, which I didn’t say. I’m sure you were able to read what was said. You chose to distort it instead. Why else would you do that if it wasn’t to try to discredit me?

What are all the stats you took into account? List them.

Is that a serious question? It matters because it shows how he shows up in the tougher matches. There's a difference between doing it against Norwich and doing it against Liverpool.

Read what you said? I've quoted you multiple times. You said you couldn't remember if you saw him play or not which like I said is basically like saying you didn't see him play.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think it's a difficult look no matter who does it.

I'm not sure it's wrong, or if they shouldn't have been allowed, but I do think there's something arbitrary to the process in some cases (maybe not here) if you allow it for some and not for others. there's always some questions in this process, and I think it opens the door. What's to say that another club can't just use the grey in the rule to benefit their ambitions? I do know that bigger clubs are going to get a bit more leeway with the policy than smaller, because that's just how things are done. Sure, emergencies happen, and I can understand that logic, but I also think some of that makes the reasons of having a transfer window or not having a transfer window a bit questionable.

If you're arguing there should be no transfer windows at all, then that's a different discussion. But right now, there's a transfer window in order to protect clubs.

The main question around it for me is does the club the player is moving from want the move to occur? If they do not want to sell the player, and it's outside the window, I think it should not be allowed. That's opinion more so than anything else. How can they prepare for their season, if there's a chance a player they were counting on is able to move after the window? Sure, it's a very small chance, but at least if the buyout was paid when they had a chance to use the funds somewhere, it would be a touch more equitable. Maybe you tweak it to allow it for a player outside the same league. It would just seem to be a bigger issue if you allow a club to raid clubs they might play.

I also understand the validity of a buyout, but if you're going to blanket say, the buyouts should be more prohibitive or higher, that's a response from a big club supporter. Smaller clubs have to have buyouts in their contracts, and there's no way some of those players at smaller clubs will agree to high buyouts. They're stepping stones for many players, and if they don't set that option up for contracts, they're going to struggle to attract players and keep players at times.

Note, I am not putting blame on Barca. I think Liverpool would not have spent money on a player like this, I think they would have made due with what they had, but I think that's a philosophy deal. Injuries happen, and I think there's a motivation for all of La Liga to see this deal happen. But it doesn't mean I see it as a good thing.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

I could see him stay for another year if they win the league and qualify for the CL group stage. At this point they're the only realistic challenger of Club Brugge left.
I'd prefer for him to leave because he's getting way too good :D He's probably the best forward in the league right now, he's also the top goalscorer while not even playing as a striker.
He should net Gent at least €20m I think.

Reactions: YNWA14

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
LOL, they should have predicted Dembele's injury...

The issue here is the buyout clause. No buyout clause and Leganes asks for notably more.

If you are a club that is 1 injury from a "disaster", and one of your players gets hurt all the time, then you should purchase some depth while the transfer window is open.

All players in Spain have to have buyout clauses. The issue isn't with the buyout clause itself, it's that the emergency transfer rule didn't consider how it would work with buyout clauses.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What are all the stats you took into account? List them.

Is that a serious question? It matters because it shows how he shows up in the tougher matches. There's a difference between doing it against Norwich and doing it against Liverpool.

Read what you said? I've quoted you multiple times. You said you couldn't remember if you saw him play or not which like I said is basically like saying you didn't see him play.

The only two stats that matter for an attacker, goals and assists. Why is this so hard to understand?

Yes, it is a serious question. If you are using an extremely small sample size of games, it really doesn't matter whether the good performances come against the good or bad teams. What matters is the full performance at the end of the season. You can't pick and choose what matters. You seem to want to do a lot of this. Certain stats, certain games. It doesn't work that way, in my opinion. If the full picture isn't good, it doesn't matter whether you can cherry pick one pixel of the picture as a good thing.

You've quoted me a few times in this discussion, but you didn't quote exactly what I stated with that comment, and deliberately distorted the context. Thats dishonest. Unless you are dumb, you should be aware of the difference between the context behind what I meant and what you claimed I meant.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
https://www.en24.news/E/2020/02/france-football-dortmund-prioritizes-the-signing-of-camavinga-in-summer.html
The Borussia from Dortmund It already has in its sights the planning of the next transfer market. Both Hans Joachim Watzke (general manager) and Michael Zorc (sports director) have agreed that Eduardo Camavinga will be the priority to strengthen the team, as reported by France Football.
The German team maintains very good relations with the Rennes, and proof of this are the facilities that the Breton club gave him several seasons ago for the sale of Ousmane Dembele, sold for only 15 million euross -more bonus-. Camavingas price would be around € 50 million, and in Dortmund they see a perfect companion for Witsel in the middle.
As reported in France, the Dortmund wants to make a negotiation with Camavinga similar to the one that led him to sign Erling Braut Haaland: an intimate visit to the sports facilities of the team, and teach the player a video in which you see the great passion that is followed in Dortmund for football. Real Madrid is also still interested in the 17-year-old Rennes midfielder, but the Franco-Angolan is aware that he would only sign for the white team if they assure him of playing time.

What a team Dortmund may have if they hold onto Sancho this summer. Apparently his transfer is not assured if recent reports are to be believed. I don't see why he'd necessarily leave in the current climate either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only two stats that matter for an attacker, goals and assists. Why is this so hard to understand?

So it doesn't matter that defenders absolutely shit themselves when Traore gets the ball, doesn't matter that the opposition sends two or three players over to fail at tackling him, and it doesn't matter that the other players who get the ball have a better chance of scoring because of that. Good to know.

His goal contributions are way more than just the stat sheet. The defenders can't tackle him at all.

Reactions: Cassano

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's mostly because that isn't true

It's actually very true. You won't find a world class attacker in history who didn't rank extremely well in those two categories. Goals win games. Goals and assists contribute to goals. Attackers gain plaudits mainly for how they influence goals.

You will however find plenty who ranked high in dribbles, WhoScored ratings, key passes, crosses completed, etc.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
https://www.en24.news/E/2020/02/france-football-dortmund-prioritizes-the-signing-of-camavinga-in-summer.html

What a team Dortmund may have if they hold onto Sancho this summer. Apparently his transfer is not assured if recent reports are to be believed. I don't see why he'd necessarily leave in the current climate either.

Ruhr Nachrichten reported today that Sancho is content at Dortmund, and hasn't made any mention of wanting to leave. Sancho leaving is what those on the outside are suggesting, not what Sancho has said. I don't know if I completely buy that he'll be at the club after the summer, but I wouldn't rule it out.

And another layer to the Camavinga link is that Rennes is a Puma club, like Dortmund. A big reason why we signed Dembele from Rennes a few years ago was because of the Puma link. I think that could help here.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's actually very true. You won't find a world class attacker in history who didn't rank extremely well in those two categories. Goals win games. Goals and assists contribute to goals. Attackers gain plaudits mainly for how they influence goals.

You will however find plenty who ranked high in dribbles, WhoScored ratings, key passes, crosses completed, etc.
Yesterday I played pickup and scored five goals. Sign me up Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->