2019-20 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Edited by deleting as I somehow mistakenly posted the same thing twice.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hey guys I also did a broad summary of the Comets game for theSinBin.net

Comets Dominate Syracuse in Home Opener | The Sin Bin

give'r a click to at least pad my views :D

I'd wanted to respond to this post but I will not leave my E-mail address out there. So, here it is here.
I'd like to add Dylan Blujus to the stars. He did score a goal, but more importantly he is the only Comet D-man who consistently picks up the most dangerous man in front ad effectively renders him worthless. He is the closest thing the Comets have to a veteran D-man. If the kids paid attention to how he patrols his own end, they would learn a lot about what they will have to be able to do to be good defensive players at the pro level. It's a shame he can't work with the kids at game time and demonstrate these skills on a nightly basis simply because he was not a Benning selection.

Last edited:

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
I'd wanted to respond to this post but I will not leave my E-mail address out there. So, here it is here.
I'd like to ad Dylan Blujus to the stars. He did score a goal, but more importantly he is the only Comet D-man who consistently picks up the most dangerous man in front ad effectively renders him worthless. He is the closest thing the Comets have to a veteran D-man. If the kids paid attention to how he patrols his own end, they would learn a lot about what they will have to be able to do to be good defensive players at the pro level. It's a shame he can't work with the kids at game time and demonstrate these skills on a nightly basis simply because he was not a Benning selection.

Yeah I goofed, should've thrown an honorable mention to him!

I think in my review of last seasons' Comets team I praised Blujus for his underrated game. Led the team in 5v5 goal differential by like an insane margin. Blujus was +12 in 43 games played - second to him was Colton Saucerman with +7. I personally think he deserves more time on the ice, so like you said, the kids can learn from him how to control the puck in his own zone while still contributing offense effectively. Not sure how long Sautner will be up with the Canucks, but I'm glad Blujus will be slotting in.

Looking it up right now, Blujus in one game was on for 4 goals for, and just 0 goals against. Juolevi went 0 for, 2 against,

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
To be honest, I zoned out after reading a chunk of what was written. Same old negative stuff. Instead of just comparing the rosters and analyzing how the teams stack up head to head pre game October 2019, more old data was used to get negative about Benning and how superior Syracuse was constructed vs Vancouver. All that incredibly analytical and thoughtful data didn’t predict a 6-2 victory of the Comets over Syracuse did it?

I just have to laugh when I read that stuff. It’s like - when I watch a pre-game NFL show or an NHL show, most REAL Analysts compare defence vs offence , power play vs penalty killing , line matchups or line combinations.

On the Utica Comets thread, I get to read in-depth analysis of how Benning sucks or didn’t draft enough players or backed up with stats bent to support some biased thesis,

Utica is now 3-0.

Miracles can happen I guess.

Thank for the /ignore suggestion.

C

This post seems to me to have misunderstood the points BG was making in all three numbered rebuttals. To some extent it was clear enough in BG’s post, though to some extent it helps to have read his previous material in understanding the points he was making.

1. Schenn-This was a timing issue. BG’s point, though he didn’lt go through the history in this post, wasn’t about the time when the Canucks offered Schenn a contract, but earlier, when they chose not to.

The Canucks had the exclusive rights to offer him a contract from the time they acquired him through the end of June and chose to put off making him an offer until well after the season was over, even though he'd proven useful both in Vancouver and Utica. This was a guy whose career was in the dumpster when the Canucks acquired him and if they’d made him an offer when he’d proven how useful he could be to them, the chances are much better that he’d have accepted it.. Refusing to offer a player a contract for a couple of months until you’re done with undrafted free agents doesn’t make a player feel the team is really interested in him and makes him more likely to consider his other options than if they considered him enough of a priority to offer him a contract ahead of, for example, Mitch Eliot.

2. Your # 2 ignores completely the fact that BG was talking about defence. He'd just gone on at length about the construction of the Syracuse defence, including how many were Tampa draft picks and their AHL vet status. He constrasted that with the construction of the Comets defence, with reference to the number of vets and of Canuck draft picks.

It's really impossible to read that post and think that referring to Lind and DiPietro has anything to do with the point he was making.

3. I don’t really understand what point you’re trying to make with your # 3. The fact that Rafferty and Teves were unsigned NCAA free agents doesn't affect BG's point that the Canucks had prospects playing in the NCAA and Europe as opposed to Utica, shortening the list of drafted prospects available to the Comets.

Whether you agree with or understand his points or not, he’s been a great source of information for those of us who like to follow the Canucks’ AHL team and prospects. If, however, you want to put him on ignore, there’s no reason to tell him to remind you to ignore him. Just use the convenient Ignore feature on hfb and voila-you no longer see the posts of someone whose posts, for whatever reason, you don’t want to read.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
If the Comets were 0-3 or 1-3, if Benning didn’t bring in Rafferty and Teves, DiPietro amd McIntyre, Bailey, Perron and Graovac I can assure you I would not be saying what I am saying.

I am not trying to be rosy. I am just pointing out that the team is 3-0, brought in new players, beat the mighty Syracuse Crunch 6-2 and can’t understand why the same naysayers have to write the same negative stuff.

Think I am the only one who feels this way? Or someone who just said “enough”.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

This should end the nonsense about there being something wrong with Hensick's attitude or whatever that has kept the NHL teams from acquiring him for their farm teams.

Here's what the Toledo Walleyes coach had to say for those not interested in finding out the facts that blow their theories out of the water.

T.J. is a proven scorer that we witnessed up close last year." said Head Coach Dan Watson in August.
(Incidentally that was when I was lobbying hard for his acquisition as you no doubt recall.)
He is as gifted a player as we have ever seen here in Toledo and he brings even more to the locker room with his presence off the ice."

The same kind of commentary came from the likes of Bancks and many other team members as well as Coach Cull himself during his brief stint in Utica where he proved his scoring touch and leadership qualities. At the season's end he said he had told his agent that he wanted to return here the following season. Nope Toledo. What a wasted talent that could be making the current Comets even better while addressing the center problem. Yes, he is another vet and Hamilton could just sit and wait for the injuries and call-ups to reduce the veteran numbers and become an adequate bottom line center just as he's being utilized now. At that point the spot for Jasek back on the wing would probably also open up.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I have been as critical as BG about the lack of depth at center but after watching this team last night I have to admit that they could probably score with me in the middle. This group of forwards in general is the best we have seen in Utica including the magical 2014-15 season. If they can possibly stay together this team will win a lot of games this season.

Goldobin and Baertschi were engaged in the play all night and are NHL players playing in the AHL. Justin Bailey is so much faster than I remembered him being from his Rochester Amerks days. They have three lines that can score any time they are on the ice and a fourth line that will wear you down on the forecheck. Teves and Raffery don't play like rookies but at 24 years old and four years of NCAA hockey they really aren't.

For now I'm going to pray for no injuries or trades and sit back and enjoy the ride. Watching Comets hockey where players can actually pass the puck tape-to-tape is so rare and fun to watch.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If the Comets were 0-3 or 1-3, if Benning didn’t bring in Rafferty and Teves, DiPietro amd McIntyre, Bailey, Perron and Graovac I can assure you I would not be saying what I am saying.

I am not trying to be rosy. I am just pointing out that the team is 3-0, brought in new players, beat the mighty Syracuse Crunch 6-2 and can’t understand why the same naysayers have to write the same negative stuff.

As for the posters who liked my posts - thank you. Not trying to be a jerk against Bad Goalie, just calling out the negative cynicism.

Think I am the only one who feels this way? Or someone who just said “enough”.

C

I don't believe you.

Instead of apologizing for your inaccurate and attack-filled posts, you dismiss it as having not read "chunks", and double down on it.

I don't believe that if the Comets went 0-3 you would be in here praising Bad Goalie for his analysis, which has proven very accurate over the years. It appears taking advantage of a small sample size before injuries and call-ups have kicked in to launch a personal attack.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I obviously can’t watch games live in Utica but will definitely watch highlights and some streamed stuff. Goldobin I have my doubts on but most fans in Vancouver were surprised when Baertschi got sent to Utica. He’s a legit NHL player who has suffered too many concussions. My hope is that he plays with the right attitude, gets his timing down due to lack of games last season and come back and plays on the third line.

On the flip side, I really hope Gaudette goes to Utica. He won’t get better sitting in the press box. He needs to play and score goals.

I have been as critical as BG about the lack of depth at center but after watching this team last night I have to admit that they could probably score with me in the middle. This group of forwards in general is the best we have seen in Utica including the magical 2014-15 season. If they can possibly stay together this team will win a lot of games this season.

Goldobin and Baertschi were engaged in the play all night and are NHL players playing in the AHL. Justin Bailey is so much faster than I remembered him being from his Rochester Amerks days. They have three lines that can score any time they are on the ice and a fourth line that will wear you down on the forecheck. Teves and Raffery don't play like rookies but at 24 years old and four years of NCAA hockey they really aren't.

For now I'm going to pray for no injuries or trades and sit back and enjoy the ride. Watching Comets hockey where players can actually pass the puck tape-to-tape is so rare and fun to watch.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Exactly. Does that guy not understand 3 games is an awfully small sample size?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I obviously can’t watch games live in Utica but will definitely watch highlights and some streamed stuff. Goldobin I have my doubts on but most fans in Vancouver were surprised when Baertschi got sent to Utica. He’s a legit NHL player who has suffered too many concussions. My hope is that he plays with the right attitude, gets his timing down due to lack of games last season and come back and plays on the third line.

On the flip side, I really hope Gaudette goes to Utica. He won’t get better sitting in the press box. He needs to play and score goals.
I should probably correct myself and say that Goldobin has NHL skills but doesn't necessarily play a NHL game. Goldy likes to slow the game down and is very deliberate with the puck but doesn't play the speed game the NHL has evolved into. His skills are above the AHL level if he could only turn up his motor and play with pace now.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
you actually believe that I would post “rosy” stuff about the Comets if they made zero roster changes.... didn’t sign a veteran goalie....didn’t pick up Rafferty or Teves or any of the guys up front and went 0-3? I am only being optimistic because I have real current data to point to. There are new players! The team has won 3 in a row! This isn’t God awful so far!

I am also not attacking BG - I am calling out the negative posts that don’t seem to change...many which BG seems to write!!

I don't believe you.

Instead of apologizing for your inaccurate and attack-filled posts, you dismiss it as having not read "chunks", and double down on it.

I don't believe that if the Comets went 0-3 you would be in here praising Bad Goalie for his analysis, which has proven very accurate over the years. It appears taking advantage of a small sample size before injuries and call-ups have kicked in to launch a personal attack.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Goldobin cannot say Travis Green has not tried to develop him. Green has tried and given him a ton of feedback. Hearing and listening are two different things.

I watched all the preseason games plus some practices and if Goldobin worked as hard as Chatfield, Brisebois and McEwan (though McEwan took a while to get going) did in pre-season, he would be in the NHL.

On a separate note - I like Chatfield, I know he isn’t perfect, and he has zero offensive skills, but you can tell - he works hard, has decent size and has some nice wheels. Nothing has been handed to that guy. I hope he keeps improving and gets his contract renewed.

I should probably correct myself and say that Goldobin has NHL skills but doesn't necessarily play a NHL game. Goldy likes to slow the game down and is very deliberate with the puck but doesn't play the speed game the NHL has evolved into. His skills are above the AHL level if he could only turn up his motor and play with pace now.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Exactly. The Oilers are 6-1 to start this season. I actually think the Canucks will end up with more points than them (both teams though out of the playoffs).

I believe the Oilers will slow down since most of their roster is the same as last year’s except for some minor changes and James Neal.

I think Utica was awful last year , but made more significant roster moves. That, plus the fact the Canucks improved their depth means (hopefully) the Comets can have a much better season. Do I know for sure? Nope, and I have already said that. I need 10 games at least. I will say that improved Canucks depth will mean less emergency call ups from Utica.

Rosy? Nope.

Negative and stuck in last year’s season? Nope

Cautiously optimistic? Yes

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yep, a team with apparently no natural centers or a veteran AHL d-men is a legitimate 3-0 on the season. I agree. When you control the puck 80 percent of the time, you can use three ECHL centers down the middle. And that pp is going to be a load for any team in the AHL to handle.

Bailey is an intriguing guy for me. A 6'4" and 214 player who can skate like that is an eye-opener. I know the Sabers and Flyers basically gave up on him, but so far I'm not seeing the black hole in terms of hockey sense that appears to be the knock on him. I mean the guy has scored at a 15-20 goal clip in his few seasons in the AHL, so he can't be devoid of any offense.

He'll be a guy to watch in Utica this season.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Why don't we all calm down and just see how things fall in place over the next couple of months. At this time of year few teams know what they really have in young players. Things usually settle in sometime around Xmas.

It's obvious the comets have a lot more skill and talent than at anytime the team has been here. This could be a very exciting season.....

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I don’t think I was misrepresenting what BG was saying at all. It’s often the same things I read - Benning sucks, so does Ryan Johnson, The Comets need a centre, Lorne Henning was a great GM, the Comets need a centre, Benning sucks, Ryan Johnson is an idiot, the Canucks need a centre.

I think BG knows his hockey. He has a keen eye for the game . There is no doubt in my mind about that. I do think he is a jaded Utica fan and there are other posters on here (not cheerleaders by the way but objective and balanced) who I would rather read.

If my comments came across as attacking and personally insulting to BG, I am sorry. To be blunt, I was trying to send a “wake up call” to BG - try being a bit more balanced in what you see.

Didn’t you notice I had quite a few “likes” with my posts? Am I the only poster on here who feels this way ?
No, you’re not alone. I gave up on trying to get through reading the Benning, Johnson, Henning, not enough vets, too many vets, no centers posts. Gives me a headache.
I read Orcatown and others, gives me a clearer picture of what’s going on in Utica.
BG is passionate though, give him that.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
It looks good...I want to reserve judgement until the 10 game mark.

Cautiously optimistic and hoping guys like Lind, Brisebois, Chatfield get better and DiPietro isn’t too hard on himself in his first rookie season.

Why don't we all calm down and just see how things fall in place over the next couple of months. At this time of year few teams know what they really have in young player. Things usually settle in sometime around Xmas.

It's obvious the comets have a lot more skill and talent than at anytime the team has been here. This could be a very exciting season.....

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think BG is very informative. But he's also a stickler for every detail. Just take some with a grain of salt. I'm pretty excited about this group, as well as most comet fans!! Win or lose this team should be very exciting to watch!! A huge improvement of the past few seasons!!!

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Yes - Orcatown is great. Balanced. This is a farm team with injuries with the parent team threatening team cohesion and rookies trying to figure it out.

Still - last year was brutal. Totally get it. It looks like things could change but let’s give it 10 games!

No, you’re not alone. I gave up on trying to get through reading the Benning, Johnson, Henning, not enough vets, too many vets, no centers posts. Gives me a headache.
I read Orcatown and others, gives me a clearer picture of what’s going on in Utica.
BG is passionate though, give him that.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
The guy totally know his hockey. I have been around hockey my whole life and when I read what he sees - his attention to detail is solid.

I think BG is very informative. But he's also a stickler for every detail. Just take some with a grain of salt. I'm pretty excited about this group, as well as most comet fans!! Win or lose this team should be very exciting to watch!! A huge improvement of the past few seasons!!!

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think the medical staff in Vancouver is on the dole from someone who never wants the Canucks to succeed at any level. They have cloned a simple cell which when injected into the human body makes them have injuries with the slightest physical stress to limbs and bones. That's why the Canucks and Comets seem to made of plastic. The equipment has never been better, but the players seem to break easier.

Maybe it's Gillis.

Reactions: Red
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad