2019-20 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
^:laugh: problem with Tahan is his stores are in Rome, New Hartford, Yorkville; everywhere but Utica. Nice furniture though ;)

This has been a hoot so far. 5-2 Comets after two.

New Hartford and Yorkville are suburbs of Utica. You'd have your pick of stores.

I hope you're good to go for Fri and Sat PBP.

6-2 Comets as Arseneau scores.

Reactions: Nomobo

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Comets to open their home season with a 4-game home stand starting tonight. They will play 3 of them in the next 4 days starting with Syracuse tonight, defending Calder Cup Champs Charlotte on Friday, and Rochester on Saturday. We'll get a better idea of what we might expect from this team in the next 3 games. Word and actual viewing of Binghamton and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is that they are not very good. Syracuse, an annual contender, has racked up 5 points in their first 3 GP, Charlotte is 2-2, and the Amerks are 3-1.

It's interesting how the Canucks didn't sign Ferraro or Schenn because, we were told, they didn't want to waste a contract slot that might be needed later, especially when the NCAA seasons end. Then they traded Biega and surrendered that contract slot to an ECHL forward in return. Meanwhile Syracuse became the beneficiary of smart Tampa Bay franchise building. The Crunch will greet the Comets with a stalwart defender for the few games he played with the Comets near the end of last season before the Canucks called him up, Luke Schenn.

Schenn is joined by a 2nd vet
Cameron Gaunce
That's 2 veteran D-men to play with their younger guys, 4 of whom are TB draft selections.

2017 1st round Cal Foote - 2nd year Crunch
2016 6th round Oleg Sosunov - 2nd year Crunch
2014 2nd round Dominick Masin - 4th year Crunch
2014 4th round Ben Thomas - 4th yr Crunch

The roster is rounded out with
Nolan Valleau - undrafted 5th yr pro/non vet
Luc Snuggerud - 2014 5th rounder Chicago/3rd year pro with only 58 AHL GP.

Tampa Bay obviously values placing solid veteran defenders with their kids. Both were given Tampa Bay contracts.
I'm betting that both Schenn and Gaunce will be in the Crunch lineup with the 4 Tampa draftees.

Utica doesn't have a single veteran with 4 rookies, 3 2yr players,and their most experienced on a Vancouver contract is Sautner. Juolevi and Brisebois are the only 2 out of the 9 who are Vancouver draft picks. Blujus is actually the most experienced Comet, but he and LeBlanc are not signed to Vancouver and would explain why Blujus has been scratched. Neither has played yet. Would think Blujus signs in tonight with Sautner in Vancouver. He is the most experienced left.

6 years of drafting with 1 Canuck and only 2 Comets drafted by Jim. That really is pathetic. A bottom feeding NHL team with at least 7 selections = 35 picks. He's pissed away several in trades for basically nobody. Then there's the NCAA and Europe. If you don't have your own property it is essential to go out and fill out your roster with available talent. You also have to be aware of the Veteran rule. Every summer the used hoc key player lot is full of available players. It only requires an active AHL GM working in collusion with his boss GM to make the acquisitions.
The Comets goal had filled 2 keepers coming in under contract.
They acquired McIntyre and Kielly making 4. Check.

The D had 4 returning contract players. Brisebois, Chatfield, Sautner, Juolevi.
They signed 3 more undrafted rookies inn Rafferty, Teves, Eliot.
Johnson. re-signed LeBlanc and Blujus. Poor d-corps construction. NO veterans on defense inThe AHL is a recipe for disaster.

The forwards had 5 returning Vancouver contacted guys coming back of which none were centers: Boucher, MacEwen, Jasek, Lind, Gadjovich,. They went out and signed 2 centers in Camper and Graovac. They acquired 2 more wings in Perron and Bailey. They cut 2 more wings in Baertschi and Goldobin. Wings Check.

There were 2 AHL contracts returning in Bancks and Hamilton and Johnson re-signed Malone and Arseneau.

Centers 2 + Hamilton. short 3. Converted Jasek. That was an act of desperation. Bancks fills in for injured Graovac. Huge downgrade. The guy is a banger, crasher, energy line wing.

Tonight both Bancks and Graovac are out. Missing a center.
Graovac injured and Bancks. Center position no Check.
Correct me if I’m wrong, is Comets still undefeated so far?

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I can't wrap my head around Juolevi. He's smart enough but man, I guess injuries have just destroyed him. The sort of luggish player he is now is the opposite of how almost every scouting report on him reads.

Reactions: supercanuck

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I can't wrap my head around Juolevi. He's smart enough but man, I guess injuries have just destroyed him. The sort of luggish player he is now is the opposite of how almost every scouting report on him reads.
He's played 3 games since recovering from major knee surgery and had little time to train. He's been back on skates for 4 months after 6 months of being unable to strengthen his leg. But yeah, it may have a permenant effect on his game. We just don't know at this point.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Will have to try to get an injury report on Gadjovich, he left the bench sometime early in the third period I think. Had a nice tip in goal ear;lier too, he was playing a pretty good game I thought.

Juolevi is really good with the puck on his stick and not so good defending without it. Has trouble defending attacking players with the puck, particularly strong or fast players. And most particularly strong and fast players. He has been a little less contact averse this year so far, and more willing to battle in the corner and along the boards.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He's played 3 games since recovering from major knee surgery and had little time to train. He's been back on skates for 4 months after 6 months of being unable to strengthen his leg. But yeah, it may have a permenant effect on his game. We just don't know at this point.
All of this is true, but it's also true that these issues did exist last season pre knee injury.

But you're right. Lets give it time.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good on Depeitro on getting the win and on the Comets for a well earned two points. Nice that they are competitive with Syracuse this year However, PP needs lots of work. Could have completely buried Crunch if that was producing more.

Liked

Chatfield - very good game. Most improved player to start the year in Utica. Down low play in his end is drastically improved and he was excellent in this game at getting people off the puck and jumping on opposition before they could make a play. Has really increased his range of play.

Goldobin - created so much offense. Just sweet passes that set people up with setters. Might look to shoot more.

Baertschi - good work along the boards and around the net. Dangerous player all game. Him and Goldobin cut above others in terms of talent. If these players get a decent center they will be very tough to handle.

Teves - turned the play around all game. Excellent skater which allows him to get up and support play. Did a good job at the offensive blue line and mostly around his net

Rafferty - nothing sensational but this player gets around the ice with ease at this level and continues to make good passes out of his end. Better than Joulevi at the point on the PP.

Boucher - not as good as the first couple of games but still offensively dangerous. His forecheck is also helping the team. Cutting off lanes very well.

Arseneau - forecheck caused turnover after turnover in the offensive end and he scored on a nice set up by Goldobin . Played hard nosed and created constant problems for the Crunch. This player is a good skater who brings it every shift.

Bailey - his explosive speed (maybe more explosive than other winger in the organization) kept Crunch back on their heals. Had multiple chances and need to finish better however

MacEwen - thought he looked poor in the early going (far too many blind back hand passes and such) but then got significantly better after he started getting some results offensively. Was key on the third period penalty kill.

Did Not Like

Hamilton - this player simply cannot carry the puck nor can he distribute it. All he can do is skate around and forecheck and bounce the puck out of his end. Very poor decision to bring him back at center. There is no offensive upside here. And , of course, takes a dumb penalty when the game was well in hand which helped lead to the difficult 5 on 3 situation in the third. I guess this is what Johnson calls leadership.

Jasek - can't keep up in term so skill, speed or intelligence with linemates Goldobin and Baertschi causing lot good work by those two to go down the drain. Underscores the lack of centers on the team.

Others

Joulevi - there were times when he was painfully slow but overall a better game. He is showing himself to be a good shot blocker and was effective in that role. Also you can begin to see the intelligence in his anticipation and puck movement. There were periods were he was smooth and let the puck do the work. To me, this game was step in the right direction. This player probably will never be dynamic but his positioning and quick, effective puck movement might help compensate for slow feet. That must be the hope here.

DePietro - thought he was shaky early and was over-reacting to puck movement around his net and was beginning to flop a bit. Settled down as the game went on and was steady in the third where he had to face some difficult chances against.

Lind - continues to skate much better but forcing the play too much. Trying to make the flamboyant play rather than the simple more direct one. Not bad but has fallen back some after a very good start. Think this player is too much involved in chirping at and pestering of the other team. Needs to focus on his game.

Brisebois - might well call him good. Stayed back and played an understated but solid game. Type of game where you don't notice a player too much and that for defenseman is often a good thing.

Perron - nothing special but you can see some pedigree here in terms of making smart plays and getting to the net.

Last edited:

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I actually thought Juolevi made a ton of good defensive plays. Was effective on the first PK unit, blocking a bunch of shots. His skating is definitely not like it used to be though. No dynamism in his feet right now. Offensively he doesn't take a lot of chances, but the passing is still excellent.

Liked Kole Lind again. Showed a turn of speed a few times, doesn't look physically over-matched any longer and I counted over half a dozen instances where he broke up plays with good stick positioning or getting his body in passing lanes. Strong defensive fundamentals taking shape for Lind at the pro level. The offensive IQ and passing ability starting to ooze out of Lind as well. This kid is back on the map as a legit NHL prospect.

Rafferty again solid. Like Juolevi, isn't very quick or dynamic, but he makes the right play almost every time. Cool under pressure and comfortable holding the offensive blueline.

Thought DiPietro looked confident and big in the net. First goal wasn't good, but didn't faze him at all.

Feels like Utica could go on a bit of a run here. Team looked dominant tonight. Fans must be really excited for the team this season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
^:laugh: problem with Tahan is his stores are in Rome, New Hartford, Yorkville; everywhere but Utica. Nice furniture though ;)

This has been a hoot so far. 5-2 Comets after two.

New Hartford and Yorkville town lines mesh with Utica as does Whitesboro, NewYork Mills, Washington Mills, and Deerfield. The little villages all abut the city of Utica and encompass the greater Utica area and Utica streets turn into village streets with the only notification being a sign.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Will have to try to get an injury report on Gadjovich, he left the bench sometime early in the third period I think. Had a nice tip in goal ear;lier too, he was playing a pretty good game I thought.

Juolevi is really good with the puck on his stick and not so good defending without it. Has trouble defending attacking players with the puck, particularly strong or fast players. And most particularly strong and fast players. He has been a little less contact averse this year so far, and more willing to battle in the corner and along the boards.

I noticed Perron on his wing and looked for him and couldn't find him on the bench, That was at some point in the 2nd period. He didn't leave the bench with the team after the 2nd ended. The left wings took turns on his wing with Arseneau and Hamilton the rest of the night. Might have slipped a RW or 2 in there as well. Think I saw Bailey out there with them for example..

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Goldobin is a star in the ahl, if he doesn’t get another shot at the nhl next season, he’s definitely going home.

Goldy has nothing to prove in the AHL....he's traditionally burned defenders and goalies in this league going back to days with with San Jose Barracuda in the Sharks system. It's the defensive side of the game that's landed him in hot water with Green. But some of his turnovers are the result of trying to make something happen offensively, which is something you can almost live with if it wasn't for the fact that Green is probably coaching for his job in VanCity.

I might be in the minority, but I really hope Goldy gets another shot with the Canucks. I still remember the dynamic qualities he showed playing with Pettersson early last season. He has skill you just can't teach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad