2019-20 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I wonder how long it will take for someone to not understand the above post #550 is a totally sarcastic remark. Comets have played 5 games (counting preseason) and Graovac, Perron, Bancks and now Gadjovich have already been injured and only Graovac looked like it during the game. The others have been HUH? when announced.

I have jokingly referred to our beloved team as composed of new age plastic men. With the vet contingency it is going to be necessary to bring up a couple of Johnson's Kalamazoo depth.
Stevenson was the only healthy sub forward last night. If the list remains the same as is indicated there will be none now that Gadjovich has been added to the list.

The D still has 2 without counting Sautner.

The six vet forwards that played last night are still safe as long as Graovac and Bancks remain injured. If they are back by next weekend, Cull will have to figure out which2 to sit. My answer would be simple, Bancks and Hamilton. 3 centers counting Jasek, but since the center problem is actually no problem, let's go with whatever. It worked last night so keep running with it. Can't see the wisdom in sitting, say Bailey and Perron, to play Wacey and Carter.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I’m pleased that the Comets are off to a good start and playing relatively well after the previous two years where they looked unprepared and a general mess out of the gate. I’m still not totally convinced by Cull but I hope he does better this year, he’s still fairly inexperienced so may have room to grow.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Liked Kole Lind again. Showed a turn of speed a few times, doesn't look physically over-matched any longer and I counted over half a dozen instances where he broke up plays with good stick positioning or getting his body in passing lanes. Strong defensive fundamentals taking shape for Lind at the pro level. The offensive IQ and passing ability starting to ooze out of Lind as well. This kid is back on the map as a legit NHL prospect.

Missed this post last night; just want to say that I agree with this assessment of Lind's game vs Syracuse. He frequently disrupted the Crunch's efforts in all three zones. Much improved player.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
10/18/19 Charlotte Checkers @ Utica Comets 7pm EST

Graovac, Bancks, and Gadjovich not slated to play due to injuries.

No mention of Malone. He has been skating without the red no contact jersey. That means he's been participating in practice so I've heard. Still not allowing any visitors at practice. Perhaps we get a look at the kid tonight. Stevenson was the only sub at forward Wednesday and if no Malone , Dyson would have to play with Gadj out. Malone played well before breaking his arm at the end of last season. Must have been some kind of break as that's the reason he has still not been in action.

Looks like Perron will be taking over the #3 center position. He has had some AHL experience there. Sitting between Bailey and MacEwen isn't a bad thing. Have to see if this experiment holds up. The 3 played well together Wednesday. If he can do the job, that frees up his LW spot where Malone would fit in provided he can play as he did in his 6 games (3G) before the injury last year.

Sautner a healthy scratch last night in St.Louis. Fantenberg stated to be sick. Something fishy going on here?

Charlotte is the defending Calder Cup champs. Not the same as defending NHL champ. AHL teams often have big turnovers, but the Checkers are still loaded up. They have gotten off to a 2-2 start with 13 GF and 12 GA.

Watchers, enjoy. Readers follow along. I'll be in my seat.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Sautner a healthy scratch last night in St.Louis. Fantenberg stated to be sick. Something fishy going on here?

I think they said by putting Fatnenberg on IR, he HAD to miss exactly a week's worth of games. Couldn't put him on IR for just a couple days apparently, had to be a week's worth.

Then they said they could use the extra body for the road trip, so might be something there but I think it's just a formality.

Checkers have played comically undisciplined hockey, 21 penalties in 4 games, but have a division leading PK% of 95.2%

Tonight's probably not the night for the Comets powerplay to start working.

Maybe if they take Juolevi of PP1 and put a right shot on the left wall they'll see some progress, Goldobin cant rattle off any one-timers from the left wall and repeatedly settles the puck and tries to go cross-ice to Boucher - its a bit predictable and good teams know to prevent one-timers from getting to Boucher. they need MacEwen or something on the left side to hammer one-timers and someone else playing netfront like Bailey or Gadjovich or something.

Reactions: lindgren

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think they said by putting Fatnenberg on IR, he HAD to miss exactly a week's worth of games. Couldn't put him on IR for just a couple days apparently, had to be a week's worth.

Then they said they could use the extra body for the road trip, so might be something there but I think it's just a formality.

Checkers have played comically undisciplined hockey, 21 penalties in 4 games, but have a division leading PK% of 95.2%

Tonight's probably not the night for the Comets powerplay to start working.

Maybe if they take Juolevi of PP1 and put a right shot on the left wall they'll see some progress, Goldobin cant rattle off any one-timers from the left wall and repeatedly settles the puck and tries to go cross-ice to Boucher - its a bit predictable and good teams know to prevent one-timers from getting to Boucher. they need MacEwen or something on the left side to hammer one-timers and someone else playing netfront like Bailey or Gadjovich or something.
Yeah with the Canucks going with 7 dmen this year instead of 8 I expect frequent call-ups if any of the 7 in Vancouver have the sniffles or slightly banged up. They can't go on a road trip with just 6 healthy dmen. Blujus slid into the Comets line-up nicely on Wednesday and adds depth on defense. LeBlanc can handle himself as well if needed.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it seems like short call ups are almost a tradition on canuck east coast road trips. sort of a reward for guys on two ways and a nice way to integrate them into the team since they travel together.

but i think unless someone else on the canucks gets hurt, the calls ups will end when roussel is off ltir.

Reactions: UticaHockey

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
it seems like short call ups are almost a tradition on canuck east coast road trips. sort of a reward for guys on two ways and a nice way to integrate them into the team since they travel together.

but i think unless someone else on the canucks gets hurt, the calls ups will end when roussel is off ltir.

Think Sautners contract means he's also earned like a months worth of AHL pay in just 3 days since getting called up

pretty sick reward for his efforts to start the season!

Reactions: vanuck

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I hope they run the Corrado treatment by committee. Call-up, Pressbox, Reassignment. Doubt they get much ice time as Corrado didn't.

People keep saying no Biega gets the younger guys a chance to play. Unless the Canucks are decimated manpower wise, the Comets call-ups rarely get game time. That's why I said I hope it's by committee. Nothing worse for young guys than long term call-up time without playing. Corrado got all of the D call-up time and played a total of 45 games of which 10 were in Vancouver. He sat for weeks at a time. He never played in the system again after that season.

He showed in the Comets 2015 playoff run that he could be useful at the NHL level. The Leafs claimed him on waivers when Benning waived him to send back to Utica for the 2016-17 season. He became one of the players the Leafs played the following year when they signed a whole lot of cheap talent to one-yr contracts while tanking for Mathews.

Better to keep a rotation going with all the young guys Utica has than letting one guy waste a season of development. Give 'em all a quick raise.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Interesting that when going up to Vancouver, Sautner's salary is the lowest NHL salary of the Comets and Eliot's is the highest besides Juolevi!

These are their cap hits:
Sautner $675,000
Briesbois $697,500
Teves $700,000
Rafferty $700,000
Chatfield $765,000
Eliot $822,500
Juolevi $863,333

Thus, the most experienced being called by posters, the "veteran Comet", will have the lowest cap hit of any Comets D-man on re-call. He will be followed by the Comets next most experienced in Brisebois.

I have not included Blujus or LeBlanc because they are not on Vancovuer contracts.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
How would Comets fans rank the team's RWers thus far -- Does anyone stand out?
[Kole Lind, Lukas Jasek, Zack MacEwen, Nikolay Goldobin, Justin Bailey (maybe even Petrus Palmu)]

Really curious if anyone could potentially be called up this year to play 2RW w/ Bo Horvat & Tanner Pearson, as I don't think Josh Leivo should be there the whole season.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
[Kole Lind, Lukas Jasek, Zack MacEwen, Nikolay Goldobin, Justin Bailey (maybe even Petrus Palmu)]

Really curious if anyone could potentially be called up this year to play 2RW w/ Bo Horvat & Tanner Pearson, as I don't think Josh Leivo should be there the whole season.

Leivo is currently a better player than any of those options though...

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

None of those guys have much of a chance to succeed on the 2nd line this season.

Looking a bit further down the road, Kole Lind's skillset is tailor made to play alongside Horvat and Pearson. His game is steadily improving and early on he's answered a lot of questions about the lack of skating and strength concerns. If he stays on his current upward trajectory, expect him to get some NHL reps next season IMO.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
None of those guys have much of a chance to succeed on the 2nd line this season.

Looking a bit further down the road, Kole Lind's skillset is tailor made to play alongside Horvat and Pearson. His game is steadily improving and early on he's answered a lot of questions about the lack of skating and strength concerns. If he stays on his current upward trajectory, expect him to get some NHL reps next season IMO.

Chances are Lind won't play with Horvat and Pearson.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Chances are Lind won't play with Horvat and Pearson.

true i guess, but i wonder if his rep right now is partly being a victim of his birthdate in being eligible to hit the ahl last year when he was not ready. if he'd been three months older he'd have been held back in junior another year (like glass was). we might now have a very different assessment of his potential if that had happened. he's no glass either way, but there's no doubt last year has hurt perceptions about the guy that could even hurt his chances and development. it shows the importance of getting those decisions right.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
true i guess, but i wonder if his rep right now is partly being a victim of his birthdate in being eligible to hit the ahl last year when he was not ready. if he'd been three months older he'd have been held back in junior another year (like glass was). we might now have a very different assessment of his potential if that had happened. he's no glass either way, but there's no doubt last year has hurt perceptions about the guy that could even hurt his chances and development. it shows the importance of getting those decisions right.

I don't disagree. But I think at the same time, the cream does rise to the top. The fact that he struggled at the AHL level suggests to me that he's not a candidate to be fast tracked. Even if he had stayed in juniors and came in and had a really good rookie AHL season, that's still a far cry from walking in and playing in the top 6 with Horvat and Pearson (Pearson's contract expires in 2 years). And looking at his draft year, I'm not sure there are guys drafted in the late first round and in the 2nd round who will be top 6 players in the NHL over the next two seasons. Seems like the Dmen have done better in that draft so far relative to their draft positions.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't disagree. But I think at the same time, the cream does rise to the top. The fact that he struggled at the AHL level suggests to me that he's not a candidate to be fast tracked. Even if he had stayed in juniors and came in and had a really good rookie AHL season, that's still a far cry from walking in and playing in the top 6 with Horvat and Pearson (Pearson's contract expires in 2 years). And looking at his draft year, I'm not sure there are guys drafted in the late first round and in the 2nd round who will be top 6 players in the NHL over the next two seasons. Seems like the Dmen have done better in that draft so far relative to their draft positions.

true, but if you don't follow the recipe properly, your bread won't rise even if it has all the ingredients. some mixes need more time in the bowl, or a certain size pan to turn out right.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Goldobin-we know him we love him. A high skill tweener
Bailey-a lightning fast big and quite physical, can give you NHL minutes
MacEwen big, good skater, not as good this year early on. Tries to be a one man band

GOAL - Carter Camper, 1-0 Comets

Jasek-diligent, good passer, good shot,good board work- playing center now which is baffling
Lind-agitating, some skill, needs work on skating

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

Jasek is the guy I’m rooting for, still feel like he’ll make it to the show someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->