Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I don't know what the upcoming free agent market looks like but I believe defensive defensemen are easier to find in FA than players like Nylander.

This.

Especially since it doesn’t need to be someone who replaces all of Lindell’s game, mostly the PK minutes would be good. Say a DeMelo type, kills penalties at a good rate. Want more out of the replacement? Look for a C. Tanev type.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Our top 3 D are non-starters for me.

We just make a harder to fill hole for something that could/should be fixed with a better coach.
This is where I tend to land. I think the problem is more with overpaid vets taking roster spots from younger players who can likely fill those scoring roles.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I looked at the free agents and there is a bunch of junk. Some good players that will cost money that the stars won’t have.

And if we're replacing Lindell with a more expensive forward, it's not like we'll have cap space for them anyway.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I’d argue that there’s enough okay choices to offset the value someone like W. Nylander would bring.

Having Nylander, Hintz, Guri, and hopefully Robertson as young, creative, scoring guys to mix in with the vets could be enough to hide some of that age. Maybe even rejuvenate some of them. (Hopefully with a side of new coach and system).

We have Miro with more experience and most likely Harley coming up as well to play somewhat full time.
Other ELCs likely to be in the lineup: Kiviranta, Dellandrea. These add up to enough money to go around, even without doing something obvious like getting rid of Cogs.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
For what it’s worth, Nylander is getting paid 6.9 (nice) till 23-24. Lindell 5.8 till 24-25. So in all actuality the money comes out pretty even.

Could be a hot take, but I personally think we as a fanbase overrate Lindell a bit. He plays tough minutes and is good on the PK, but he gets shelled analytically and looks pretty average carrying his own pair without Miro or Klingberg. In layman terms, he’s always going to be a Robin, but right now he’s getting paid like Batman. I think you can find a guy that does what he does to at a similar caliber for half or 3/4 his price.

Reactions: Satan and Kipper 17

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think I am for it. Who would the Stars have to expose in the expansion draft if they add another forward.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If you trade Lindell who plays the big PK minutes. If you have someone or can sign someone to take those minutes I am all for it.
Any number of players can kill penalties.
It's not like Dallas is rocking some extraordinary PK, it's middle of the pack.

I looked at the free agents and there is a bunch of junk. Some good players that will cost money that the stars won’t have.
There's Currently tons of solid defensemen set to hit UFA
a small selection from all ends of the spectrum Pietrangelo, Dillon, Krug, Brodie, Tanev, Braun, Edmundson,Demello

And if we're replacing Lindell with a more expensive forward, it's not like we'll have cap space for them anyway.
We have quite a bit of cap space and no significant raises to hand out, outside of maybe Faksa, and with being able to defer half of the bonuses for the year after, we had plenty of room to make a trade where we take on some salary and sign a replacement.

Just running with the Lindell for Nylander (of note Nylanders pay was 90% bonus money this year and Toronto already paid that out) so we'd pay 700k for the year for him.
Nylander (6.9) for Lindel - (5.8) Gain (1.1mil) would drop our currently available capspace down to 18.3mil (before either 100% or 50% of the bonus is applied)
with only
Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov to re-sign as "significant" rfas
You're talking at most 3-4mil each, and that would be on the high end for the latter two.
Lets say they each get 4 a piece (most 30-35p scorers don't make 4mil) even Kapanen and Johnsson with 20g and 40+p didn't get that with term but Nill has done some very stupid contracts before.
You'd have 6mil for bonus overages, a backup goalie and a replacement PK defenseman
and that is assuming they don't make any other moves on the roster, be it Getting rid of Cogliano, or Getting rid of Cogliano, or Buying out Cogliano, or Launching Cogliano into the sun, or holding a gun to Cogliano's head forcing him to fill out retirement paperwork.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Quite a bit of cap space but will the owner want to spent to the cap right now? Doubt it- won't be fans at games for a while.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We don’t have cap space.

We’re looking at around 15M after bonuses, which goes to re-signing Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov, Khudobin, another three forwards, and another two defenders. Of those last five I think at least three will be internal ELCs.

We’d struggle to convert Lindell’s hit into Nylander’s, much less replace Lindell too.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
We don’t have cap space.

We’re looking at around 15M after bonuses, which goes to re-signing Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov, Khudobin, another three forwards, and another two defenders. Of those last five I think at least three will be internal ELCs.

We’d struggle to convert Lindell’s hit into Nylander’s, much less replace Lindell too.
we don't have to apply all of the bonus to next season cap, it can be split over the next 2 years and Khudobin isn't coming back at a backup salary.
Also not sure where you're getting 5 additional players plus Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov.
we have 15 signed for next season,
6 defensemen, 1 goalie and 8 forwards.
Signing all of Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov and Khudobin would put us 1 forward under a full roster.
Which should be 1-2 of Robertson, Kiviranta, Caamano, Dellandrea (ideally 2 and Dowling would be the 13th)
We'd sign 1 defenseman to put Fedun as the 7th (or Harley)
We should be able to sign all of Faksa, Hintz and Gurianov for less than 10.
a backup for 2-2.5ish at most
and Bonuses which
Will be
Heiskanen 850k, Perry 1.25mil, Sekera 300k, Gurianov (at most 800k doubt he hit them all) is a total of 3.2mil (or 1.6 next season and 1.6 the season after)
Even if we applied all 3.2mil our 19.46mil becomes 16.26mil.
Again the 3 rfas should come in under 10 total, with 1 defenseman to sign to put fedun at 7th. And 2 forwards (call ups or otherwise) to move Dowling to 13th, and a backup.

The thing with spending to the cap the owner may not want to spend real dollars to the cap, but in the hypothetical nylander-lindell swap, he's actually saving a boatload.
5mil vs 700k

Last edited:

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
But if you trade Lindell then there will have to be a replacement signed. Nobody on the roster or in cedar park will fill his skates.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
You do make a good point about actual dollars spent and that could cause the trade even if they are not totally sold on it

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
we don't have to apply all of the bonus to next season cap, it can be split over the next 2 years and Khudobin isn't coming back at a backup salary.
Also not sure where you're getting 5 additional players plus Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov.
we have 15 signed for next season,
6 defensemen, 1 goalie and 8 forwards.
Signing all of Faksa, Hintz, Gurianov and Khudobin would put us 1 forward under a full roster.
Which should be 1-2 of Robertson, Kiviranta, Caamano, Dellandrea (ideally 2 and Dowling would be the 13th)
We'd sign 1 defenseman to put Fedun as the 7th (or Harley)
We should be able to sign all of Faksa, Hintz and Gurianov for less than 10.
a backup for 2-2.5ish at most
and Bonuses which
Will be
Heiskanen 850k, Perry 1.25mil, Sekera 300k, Gurianov (at most 800k doubt he hit them all) is a total of 3.2mil (or 1.6 next season and 1.6 the season after)
Even if we applied all 3.2mil our 19.46mil becomes 16.26mil.
Again the 3 rfas should come in under 10 total, with 1 defenseman to sign to put fedun at 7th. And 2 forwards (call ups or otherwise) to move Dowling to 13th, and a backup.

The thing with spending to the cap the owner may not want to spend real dollars to the cap, but in the hypothetical nylander-lindell swap, he's actually saving a boatload.
5mil vs 700k

Really good point with the Nylander salary/signing bonus manipulation, and the splitting bonus money over 2 years. I really hope it doesn't come to it, but if Khudobin prices himself out of Dallas, I'd be okay with giving Oettinger a shot if Dallas is in a really bad spot money wise.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not posting this because I have any idea what a trade could look like between the teams. Haven't really thought about it before.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Maybe we would lose John's in the expansion draft anyway, so going down 1 d man might happen either way. Even so, similar trades have been made to address glaring needs at a 25% reduction at another position, which can be filled somewhat.

In reality, Klinger might be easier to replace with Harley, but I think TOR would want Lindell skill set.

Typical fan reaction, we only want a trade where we get a star and give up nothing, which won't happen. (at least again, I. E. Seguin, which did cost Louis )

I still think it's a pretty fair hockey trade.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think I said this several months ago, but just a reminder when it comes to cutting payroll the player that makes the most sense is Alexander Radulov.

Radulov's full NMC ends at the conclusion of this season, and he was already paid a $3 million bonus on July 1st, 2020, for next season. He's only due $1 million the rest of 20-21, and his salary the following season is $4.65 million ($2 million bonus/$2.65 million salary).

In terms of movable assets that could create space, he's at the top. I don't think trading him is probably going to bring back a piece that makes the team better though. I would suspect you lose this trade if you make it. The reason you might move Radulov though is if you needed to clear salary to add a top forward in a different trade.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Rangers fan coming in peace. Does Hintz play LW or C? If he plays C, is he available? If so, for what?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Rangers fan coming in peace. Does Hintz play LW or C? If he plays C, is he available? If so, for what?
Both. Provably not. He's our only current young guy with potential. That said with our gm
Have any 30+ yr olds that can bring leadership but otherwise nothing else?
Also a high dollar contract is a bonus

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Both. Provably not. He's our only current young guy with potential. That said with our gm
Have any 30+ yr olds that can bring leadership but otherwise nothing else?
Also a high dollar contract is a bonus
Hmm. We have Strome but i'm not sure if you guys would be interested. He has great chemistry with Panarin so he can produce with the right players but he needs a contract. DeAngelo but i don't think you need another offensive rhd. I doubt you want prospects so i don't know if there is a deal here

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Hmm. We have Strome but i'm not sure if you guys would be interested. He has great chemistry with Panarin so he can produce with the right players but he needs a contract. DeAngelo but i don't think you need another offensive rhd. I doubt you want prospects so i don't know if there is a deal here
We need scoring above else. But other than Robertson and maybe Damiani we don't have anyone capable of producing on the younger side of the spectrum Hintz is basically the only one. We need a lafreniere to go with our Heiskanen though.... You can have everyone else including Hintz in exchange for 1st...

In all seriousness I'd probably do strome for Hintz but you'd have to take Cogliano too

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Hintz can’t be traded for anything because he’s cheap and somewhat productive. The only reason to trade him would be to start a real rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad