Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I’m good with Thornton for a 5th, although I don’t know where he’d fit in. Who comes out? Who does he cycle in with?

If we had a spot, sure, but otherwise I see him subbing in for any of our 12 forwards as a net loss.
How about Mattias Janmark for C Adam Lowry in Wpg?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'd assume if we get a compliance buyout, it'd be Rads, Pavs, or Benn.

Maybe they could swing something like
Benn for Kopitar.
LA buys out Benn, Dal buys out Kopitar, so that Kopitar could re-sign at a cheaper rate with LA and Benn with Dal (assuming they both wanted to stay)

Circumvent (ultimately a form of cheating) the Cap rules and be able to retain aging star players with lots of term on a high salary and stay under the cap to be able to sign other players of value needing big raises off their rfa contracts.
Should not be allowed under the CBA. Kind of sounds like T. O. having numerous LTIR contracts. Trading them back and forth for draft picks and then offering ridiculous contracts to star players and remain cap compliant?? This proposal is basically dissolving a contract in order to keep that player for a new cheap salarytheycan afford. Should not be allowed.

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
sign me up, but why would WPG want Janmark?
Just because they need a 2 C which Lowry will never be. And false reality might shine through to hope Janmark could turn into such, with top wingers like KC, BW, PL, NE available to mix & match with Sceifele as well in top-6.
Could Covid-19 brain attack?? Who knows.
Is Janmark that bad, or has no offensive upside? Don't know enough about his regular play to be honest. The offering of Lowry is that while he gives steady, solid defensive shut-down play with physicality and PK abilities all for under $3 mil per season, he has not really progressed to anything more and will never be a scoring threat. He has is value at what he does very well. Winnipeg has similar in Andrew Copp but Copp's offense has scratched the surface only due to limited opportunity for more than a checking/ shut-down role, rarely matched with skilled scoring wingers. ( to note, Matthiue Perrault while talented is not much of a scoring phenom anymore, if ever).
Could Janmark fit in and improve WPG 's 2nd/3rd line production with Copp filling in for Lowry's role and the teamimprove overall? Hope transcends not trying anything, anyways?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Actually, Wpg probably doesn't want Janmark, per se. So, Dallas could give them Seguin for Lowry and Wpg adds Roslovic maybe just to be nice, because Wpg would want Seguin!
Just jarring with you here. Bored I guess and now entering insane territory possibly. Yikes. Go Stars Go...fishing, hunting, 4-wheeiling or whatever for now, hey.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Actually checking stats, Janmark has 1 more career point than Lowry in a whole 111 less games. So, more scoring potential absolutely by a whole point!!
Very similar draft pedigree, etc. Change of scenery for both, new roles or similar with different coaching, faces, surroundings, styles maybe? Lowry would fit the former Dallas mantra of out working and out-hitting your opponent in order to forge out victory along with size!

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Actually checking stats, Janmark has 1 more career point than Lowry in a whole 111 less games. So, more scoring potential absolutely by a whole point!!
Very similar draft pedigree, etc. Change of scenery for both, new roles or similar with different coaching, faces, surroundings, styles maybe? Lowry would fit the former Dallas mantra of out working and out-hitting your opponent in order to forge out victory along with size!

Yeah Lowry would fit Dallas well, even though we already have Faksa.

I’ve played hockey with Lowry and he’s such a beauty

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Lowry would be great especially if Faksa is a goner but Winnipeg does not need or want Janmark. Could argue for him as a Perreault replacement to a degree, but not at the expense of Lowry.

Then again who knows what is going to happen with the cap and expansion coming up quickly. Some weird shit might play out.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Canucks fan coming in peace...what would you guys be interested in for Faksa? Would definitely be interested from a Canucks perspective but not sure what the Stars needs are.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Canucks fan coming in peace...what would you guys be interested in for Faksa? Would definitely be interested from a Canucks perspective but not sure what the Stars needs are.
Pretty sure the stars and nucks aren't going to be trade partners with the bad blood between the owners. Especially after the hamhuis fiasco.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I mean...in real life sure. But still fun to discuss potential trades on here.
Sure, Stars biggest need is scoring, a player like Boesser is what the Stars need. Faksa doesn't move the needle for someone like him. It's not like the Nucks have a lot of affordable options they'd be willing to part with, so you'd likely be talking a package with several moving parts

Virtanen would be somewhat interesting, but idk if I'd part with Faksa for him.
Guadette too, but neither really helps the Stars much.

Boesser and Erikson(with 2mil retained)
For Benn with 2 mil retained , Faksa and Dellandrea and another plus
Roughly even salary swap. Stars eat 2mil of Benns longer contract (6yrs) vs (3yrs) for Erikssons.
Nucks dump Eriksson. Get a decentish prospect as well just not a lot of offensive upside

Last edited:
Reactions: sportswastaken

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Sure, Stars biggest need is scoring, a player like Boesser is what the Stars need. Faksa doesn't move the needle for someone like him. It's not like the Nucks have a lot of affordable options they'd be willing to part with, so you'd likely be talking a package with several moving parts

Virtanen would be somewhat interesting, but idk if I'd part with Faksa for him.
Guadette too, but neither really helps the Stars much.

Boesser and Erikson(with 2mil retained)
For Benn with 2 mil retained , Faksa and Dellandrea and another plus
Roughly even salary swap. Stars eat 2mil of Benns longer contract (6yrs) vs (3yrs) for Erikssons.
Nucks dump Eriksson. Get a decentish prospect as well just not a lot of offensive upside

I would make that trade any trade to get rid of Benn. I think he is a major problem here. Not just his play but his attitude

Reactions: trenchard

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I am not saying Benn had a bad attitude but he seems to have a lackadaisical attitude that says winning does not matter.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
You are right, but I can't see anyone will take him. Maybe at expansion draft for free ...
That’s kinda my thoughts as well. Ask him to waive for the expansion draft. There’s no way Seattle would pass on him, and he might actually enjoy being so close to BC and his family. I want him to do well, but have little confidence that it will happen in Dallas again. If he refuses to waive, then perhaps it at least gets the ball rolling on something else.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
That’s kinda my thoughts as well. Ask him to waive for the expansion draft. There’s no way Seattle would pass on him, and he might actually enjoy being so close to BC and his family. I want him to do well, but have little confidence that it will happen in Dallas again. If he refuses to waive, then perhaps it at least gets the ball rolling on something else.

I dont know man, I don't think there is any chance Seattle would want him. I mean the best thing about an expansion team is you start with zero bad contracts. Last thing I'd want as an expansion team is to pay Jamie Benn $9.5 million a year until he's 35.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I dont know man, I don't think there is any chance Seattle would want him. I mean the best thing about an expansion team is you start with zero bad contracts. Last thing I'd want as an expansion team is to pay Jamie Benn $9.5 million a year until he's 35.
Except the Kraken will need to reach the cap floor, and Stars can bribe them with picks and not require salary the other way. I can dream, right?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Except the Kraken will need to reach the cap floor, and Stars can bribe them with picks and not require salary the other way. I can dream, right?
With the way the expansion draft works now where every guy picked is a third liner or second pairing d-man, hitting the floor is very easy.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
With the cap being flat teams are going to either pay the Kraken to take bad contracts or leave decent players that are a bit overpaid. I don’t see them using 11.6% of their cap space on a 39 point forward. Also, Benn is only getting older so he may regress even more during this contract

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Getting a coach that will take the shackles off of the offense unlike the last two would be a huge improvement. They really have a pretty good defense and goaltending- it seems like such a no-brainer to let the offense run wild a little and trust your back end. In a way I think the Stars' system almost puts more pressure on your defense and goalies than one that doesn't insulate them- they never get any help offensively and one wrong move puts them in a huge hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad