GDT: 2019-20 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Really around the league, not a lot of top prospects getting moved, lots of stipulations on mid round picks. I get some people might be frustrated with the return on Sami but it's really in line with a lot of the deals made today. Just goes to show how much of a premium is placed on players with term. Coleman got a huge return compared to most players traded in the past week. There might not have been a better prospect traded than Foote.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Really around the league, not a lot of top prospects getting moved, lots of stipulations on mid round picks. I get some people might be frustrated with the return on Sami but it's really in line with a lot of the deals made today. Just goes to show how much of a premium is placed on players with term. Coleman got a huge return compared to most players traded in the past week. There might not have been a better prospect traded than Foote.

Not many former first round prospects traded at all. Foote and Merk are on that small list.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

But you still had first round picks moved for Skjei and some Sharks dude I never heard of till today. Teams in general value current prospects more than picks. Or at least you generally see picks before prospects in trades. Fitz tried another way to skin the cat with the prospect plus lower pick.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I really feel like we should have gotten at least a 7 rounder from that Domingue deal, doesn’t seem like fair value one for one. I know I’m nitpicking and all three components are useless but still..

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I was honestly kind of excited about the kind of return Palmieri could've netted once we saw what Coleman got us, but if Fitz is saying he wasn't impressed with what was being offered then I take him at his word, and fully agree that's the right approach to the situation.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
But you still had first round picks moved for Skjei and some Sharks dude I never heard of till today. Teams in general value current prospects more than picks. Or at least you generally see picks before prospects in trades. Fitz tried another way to skin the cat with the prospect plus lower pick.

Goodrow trade was very unusual but Tampa probably values the fact that he is signed for less than $1M next season - it's very hard to find a player like that who is available at all.

I do think there's a recalibration that some people have to do when the main return in a trade is a prospect rather than a pick, as it was with the Vatanen trade.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Goodrow trade was very unusual but Tampa probably values the fact that he is signed for less than $1M next season - it's very hard to find a player like that who is available at all.

I do think there's a recalibration that some people have to do when the main return in a trade is a prospect rather than a pick, as it was with the Vatanen trade.

Those picks have value as currency as well as the opportunity to add another draftee to the system. However, getting a young player further along in development eliminates a lot of risk as well as accelerates the timeline to the NHL for the asset. I was hoping for more but I’m very happy with Kuokkanen.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I can’t even make out the return Florida got for Trocheck. A rental center, a young center and two prospects who seem much more fringy than the one we got for an injured UFA defenseman. No picks. Maybe that’s all Trocheck is worth at this point, that trade is just an enigma to me.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s amazing to me how many fans of good teams are afraid to try to win. You can argue TB paid a premium for its trade targets but was NJ going to trade Coleman otherwise? Was anyone traded for a second be as good a player as Coleman with some term? How many more playoff failures can TB endure before they change GMs yet again? I think they are at least trying to maximize a very good team. At some point the team has a mature core and it’s cap is tight and it has to try to win at that point or the management and coaching gets changed. TB seems to be at that point. I’m surprised BOS thinks it isn’t there. Their core is going to crumble sooner rather than later.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s amazing to me how many fans of good teams are afraid to try to win. You can argue TB paid a premium for its trade targets but was NJ going to trade Coleman otherwise? Was anyone traded for a second be as good a player as Coleman with some term? How many more playoff failures can TB endure before they change GMs yet again? I think they are at least trying to maximize a very good team. At some point the team has a mature core and it’s cap is tight and it has to try to win at that point or the management and coaching gets changed. TB seems to be at that point. I’m surprised BOS thinks it isn’t there. Their core is going to crumble sooner rather than later.

Some fanbases are ass backwards. Teams that are miles away have fans demanding immediate action and bad deals to make a bad team less bad.

Meanwhile you have fans of actual contenders not wanting to add to get over the top because “the future”

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
why because we didn't trade 85 guys?... he traded three players.. you can agree or disagree with trading simmonds but the return is fair. and he traded vatenan who has been injured a number 2 pick which i think we didn't have .. and a prospect that sounds like he will be ready for NHL next season.. so hell of a disappointing day? oh and he traded coleman 2 weeks ago.. so maybe you are overreacting ?

It's disappointing because of the returns NJ received on the 3 players traded today.

People thought we would get AT LEAST a 2nd round pick for Vatanen and possibly even a first rounder not too long ago, given the prices we were seeing out there. That the pick dropped to a conditional 3rd rounder was disappointing.

A lot of the rumored Canucks prospects that could've been in play for Simmonds seemed too good to be true and apparently they were. Seeing the Canucks and Penguins (two teams rumored to be interested in Simmonds) drop out and have to settle for a conditional 5th for him in 2021 is disappointing. Thought we'd at least be able to get a 4th rounder this year for him and that a team might've even gotten desperate and offered a little more.

Getting a conditional 7th rounder in any year would've been a huge win for Dominigue. Getting back another goalie that's the same age, yet miraculously worse was also a disappointment.

Seeing Kreider re-sign with the Rangers which should've boosted Palmieri's value and then nothing materializing in an otherwise strong sellers market this year was also disappointing.

The Coleman and Greene trades were great, but I was referring to the deals today. And yeah, I was hoping for and expecting more.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Deadline's over, the Around The League thread is open if you still want to talk about other teams' trades. We have plenty of threads for ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad