GDT: 2019-20 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I can’t see Boston still being interested in Palms now. Their top-six is pretty set now. I’d imagine they would’ve also wanted us to swallow Backes contract, which is not ideal unless the return was significantly greater than the Kase deal.

Vegas played six left-handed defenceman last night. I think they could very much be after Vatanen.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Anaheim screwed up, even though Kase has injury issues can't believe a late 1st rounder was more useful to them moving forward. The fact that adding Backes didn't even return solid prospect is just bad.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Except in overtime :D

It's weird that a guy that's such a good skater and has great puck skills is such an amazingly bad defenseman. I'm sure they thought the same thing when they offered him that contract "Yeah, his game has some holes, but look at those tools! He'll figure it out." Nope. He can't even get into lineup in Boston, and they only signed him last year.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Don’t think the return is that bad tbh. I think Kase is overrated on here. Dude can’t stay healthy and hasn’t been all that effective this year.

Probably should’ve gotten more but they didn’t get fleeced.

4 or 5 concussions in and an underwhelming producer.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Don’t think the return is that bad tbh. I think Kase is overrated on here. Dude can’t stay healthy and hasn’t been all that effective this year.

Probably should’ve gotten more but they didn’t get fleeced.

4 or 5 concussions in and an underwhelming producer.

There's no doubt Kase has injury issues, but he definitely isn't overrated here. Probably the opposite. His scoring rate throughout his career is actually very good for a young player and I think any Anaheim fan will tell you how effective he is at driving play. Couple that with being stuck on an atrocious team, and you'll see his production skyrocket in Boston. He's exactly the type of player the Devils should be looking to acquire if they want to avoid icing an AHL caliber roster next year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's bad if you consider that getting rid of Backes has to be worth a high 2nd on its own, at the very least. So then you're left with Kase being worth a high 2nd and this prospect and yeah, it's not enough, even though Kase is a risk, it's a risk worth taking for Boston.

Reactions: Darkauron

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The deal for Palmieri was (is)

Player A + 2020 1st + d-man in AHL

OR

Player B + 2020 2nd + same d-man

The difference between Player A and B is the difference between a first and second. Still on the table, they just needed cap space.

You guys would have much preferred the first one.

I saw this on the Bruins board and people trust him there so who knows

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Bruins fans and writers can’t act like they’re the only team in the league bidding on Palmieri.

Camille the Eel

Oi. If player B is Gryzleck we’d think because a mobile, extremely creative left handed defenseman could fundamentally change our club.

However we have Ty Smith in the pipeline. And what do Fitz and co really think of him?

Do not trade Palms for another forward no matter who. Coyle? Debrusk? Palms is better than either of them.

This is making me sick just thinking about it. We can’t be determined just to unload Palms no matter what the return, just looking for a best deal. If we are . . . Well that’s just depressing. The next 3 days will tell.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Bruins fans and writers can’t act like they’re the only team in the league bidding on Palmieri.

This is my biggest problem and why I think that he would now be out of their price range without the first. I don't know how you make it work with other people in the action and the fact that we don't have to move him. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been one of the biggest proponents to moving him, but we are not obligated to do it right this very moment. If I don't like the offers this season, given what the Rangers are asking for Kreider as a rental, I'm okay with flipping him as a rental next year for a slightly discounted rate.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Player B is someone the Bruins fans would be loathed to part with then.
Not sure how they make that work under the cap unless Backes was involved.

Unless he was one of Player A or Player B, which doesn't make sense.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
My biggest concern with Palmieri is simple.

Do i believe he would re-sign in NJ, yes. Do I want to deal with his next contact? Not sure.

Can we get the same value for him now that we can at the deadline next year... No.

No matter your opinion on Palmieri this is a business, if the Devils dont believe Palms is part of this next core (too old) then you move him because you're going to get the most value out of a deal now then in the summer or at the TDL next season.

Would it suck to see him go? of course. But pure value wise, he's at his height right now and it will only decrease every day after the deadline.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Not sure how they make that work under the cap unless Backes was involved.

Unless he was one of Player A or Player B, which doesn't make sense.

If player B is someone like Heinen then it can work I believe. Not saying he alone makes the difference between a 1st and 2nd. But the Devils could retain a little to make it work if it upped the value.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Boston is off my list with the move they made with Anaheim, unless they’re sending us their 2021 1st round pick with a prospect/roster player.

If not, let them play Kase in their top #6.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I wonder if Columbus would be in on Palmieri after Bjorkstrand going down. They went nuts last year and somehow have a first.

Josh Anderson is also intriguing. I was wondering why I keep hearing his name out in rumors. He is having a poor year, but is someone I think who could make sense for the current makeup of the team. I believe Ovy, Anderson and Coleman were the only players in the league to have 20 goals and 200 hits last year.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Still don't see Palms being moved. The offer would have to be insane. Better value than even the Coleman deal. And given the cap circumstances of contending teams, I find it hard to believe a deal like that would come to fruition. Anyway, if people wanna speculate, they should be doing so valuing Palms with 50% retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad