2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning Team Struggles

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Frolik + Bennett + 2nd for Gourde + Rutta?

Gourde is clearly the best player in the deal but we have a cap crunch and he's on the 4th line, similar to Miller. Bennett is almost 3M cheaper and is better suited for the 4th line, he still is young with some potential so he could be given a look on Stamkos wing. Frolik is a contract dumb but an expensive one which is why we get the 2nd and don't send a late pick back. Rutta is for contract and cap purposes. We need to get Gourde to waive. We add a lot of grit with Bennett that the team needs outside of Paquette and Maroon.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Frolik + Bennett + 2nd for Gourde + Rutta?

Gourde is clearly the best player in the deal but we have a cap crunch and he's on the 4th line, similar to Miller. Bennett is almost 3M cheaper and is better suited for the 4th line, he still is young with some potential so he could be given a look on Stamkos wing. Frolik is a contract dumb but an expensive one which is why we get the 2nd and don't send a late pick back. Rutta is for contract and cap purposes. We need to get Gourde to waive. We add a lot of grit with Bennett that the team needs outside of Paquette and Maroon.
No. Our 4th line has been one of if not our best line this year. They are fantastic. I don't want to go around messing with that chemistry. Gourde fits in so well with Paquette and Maroon.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No. Our 4th line has been one of if not our best line this year. They are fantastic. I don't want to go around messing with that chemistry. Gourde fits in so well with Paquette and Maroon.

It is playing lights out but Gourde makes too much to keep him there permanently. We need to move a big contract and his hot start should have his value back up. Bennett is a nasty player who would make that line even worse to play against or give Stamkos a physical presence to dig pucks out for him. Again like Miller we are moving a proven player for futures to free up cap, we get some immediate help as well with Bennett.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I actually don’t have concerns on D. We need a winger. Verhaeghe and Volkov didn’t pan out. Palat is looking good but they’re still short a guy they were counting on.

We are 100 in need of a right wing.

If we don’t acquire one via trade I could totally see Volkov back

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It is playing lights out but Gourde makes too much to keep him there permanently. We need to move a big contract and his hot start should have his value back up. Bennett is a nasty player who would make that line even worse to play against or give Stamkos a physical presence to dig pucks out for him. Again like Miller we are moving a proven player for futures to free up cap, we get some immediate help as well with Bennett.

Unfortunately the long term
Takes a back seat to winning a cup RIGHT NOW.

also Gourde wouldn’t waive his NTC so the point is moot

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
So honest question if we miss the playoffs this year after that complete and utter disaster from last year's playoffs, How hot does Coopers seat get? from a 1-10? 1 is not hot at all and 10 being supernova hot.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
So honest question if we miss the playoffs this year after that complete and utter disaster from last year's playoffs, How hot does Coopers seat get? from a 1-10? 1 is not hot at all and 10 being supernova hot.
I mean if we miss he is 100 percent fired. But why are we talking so negatively all the time. We have a good hockey team and we don’t look that bad

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Unfortunately the long term
Takes a back seat to winning a cup RIGHT NOW.

also Gourde wouldn’t waive his NTC so the point is moot

We traded Miller who would help us RIGHT NOW a hell of a lot more than a pick does.

I'm sure Gourde would prefer to be playing in the top 6, getting more minutes and PP time too. If he stays on the 4th line all year while there's a revolving door on Stamkos wing he probably gets a bit pissed off.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We traded Miller who would help us RIGHT NOW a hell of a lot more than a pick does.

I'm sure Gourde would prefer to be playing in the top 6, getting more minutes and PP time too. If he stays on the 4th line all year while there's a revolving door on Stamkos wing he probably gets a bit pissed off.

We’ve handed out so many ntcs that I have lost count, but doesn’t Gourde have one?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We’ve handed out so many ntcs that I have lost count, but doesn’t Gourde have one?

He does but like I said he might waive if used as a 4th liner. If he puts up 20-24-45 playing with Paquette and Maroon I'm sure he thinks he can get back to 60 on another team in the top 6.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well, we won again and this time vs the Ducks. I gotta be honest, this "stuck in preseason" mode looks to be just as much of consequence of a new system as it does our team not having any games to play it. I'm not trying to buy excuses either. We could fire Jon Cooper tomorrow and I'd blink. But when you've played 3 and 5 game less than everyone else and have spent 4 to 8 days at a time literally just sitting around waiting for the next contest, it's not any kind of wonder to me why we keep looking the way we do. Needless to say, it's not time to panic unless we are looking godawful when we are playing every other day like we're supposed to as opposed to twice a week.

We have ALWAYS been horrible with too much time off/rest. As long as we are continuing to win we will buy ourselves time to work out looking so sloppy.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Honestly don't think you could be more wrong. It looks like he loves playing with the 4th line. Looks like he loves his teammates and knows he part of the "revenge"

After this season? Maybe. Right now? No

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
He does but like I said he might waive if used as a 4th liner. If he puts up 20-24-45 playing with Paquette and Maroon I'm sure he thinks he can get back to 60 on another team in the top 6.
Forth liner in name only. I’m not sure that is our forth line ? Gourde had over 17 minutes last night, third highest of our forwards.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Forth liner in name only. I’m not sure that is our forth line ? Gourde had over 17 minutes last night, third highest of our forwards.

He's 8th amongst forwards in TOI per game, the only top 9 one he is ahead of is Joseph. He plays on PP2 with occasional PK shifts. On a lot of other teams he would be getting that 17 minutes nightly, he would be in the top 5 in ice time, PP1 and PK regularly. For 5.16 he should be much higher than 8th in TOI. We can't afford to keep him on the 4th and he himself can do much better with more minutes, it seems inevitable he has to go and being stuck on the 4th line might be a way to get him to waive.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He's 8th amongst forwards in TOI per game, the only top 9 one he is ahead of is Joseph. He plays on PP2 with occasional PK shifts. On a lot of other teams he would be getting that 17 minutes nightly, he would be in the top 5 in ice time, PP1 and PK regularly. For 5.16 he should be much higher than 8th in TOI. We can't afford to keep him on the 4th and he himself can do much better with more minutes, it seems inevitable he has to go and being stuck on the 4th line might be a way to get him to waive.

I am sure all he cares about is getting back to the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the "boys" and trying to avenge last season.

I am sure he loves his friends, the city, the weather and doesn't care if you think he's on the "4th line"

Gourde is going NOWHERE

Reactions: Stammertime91

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
What a problem to have two guys on the 4th line that should be playing up on the roster. Im still impressed that Palat has returned to playing hockey after a couple years MIA.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I am sure all he cares about is getting back to the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the "boys" and trying to avenge last season.

I am sure he loves his friends, the city, the weather and doesn't care if you think he's on the "4th line"

Gourde is going NOWHERE

I'm sure he can become "boys" with Monahan, Tkachuk and Gaudreau or another teams players and get to the playoffs with them. He's only been a full time regular for two prior seasons before this, it's not like he's a 5+ year vet we are trying to move like Palat or Johnson.

There's plenty of other cities that are just as nice, some have as good weather and no taxes as well. If a 27 year old player making 5+ is happy being a "4th liner" then he isn't a player we should want on our team. We need guys who aren't happy just settling and receiving a fat check, we want guys who are still hungry to prove something.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'm sure he can become "boys" with Monahan, Tkachuk and Gaudreau or another teams players and get to the playoffs with them. He's only been a full time regular for two prior seasons before this, it's not like he's a 5+ year vet we are trying to move like Palat or Johnson.

There's plenty of other cities that are just as nice, some have as good weather and no taxes as well. If a 27 year old player making 5+ is happy being a "4th liner" then he isn't a player we should want on our team. We need guys who aren't happy just settling and receiving a fat check, we want guys who are still hungry to prove something.

Like Sam Bennett?

Yes, let's ruin the production coming from our bottom 6 for this season so we can give Sam Bennett an opportunity, allow Gourde to play top 6 elsewhere and swap philosophical mindsets that you have no evidence for. Got it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
lol @ Gourde getting upset about not playing with Stamkos, why would he care when he has more chemsitry with his current line? For a supporting player like Gourde I doubt he cares as much about being in the "top-6" if he can have as big an impact as he does on the productive 4th line. Miller is someone who was kind of wasted on the 4th because his skillset was actually compatible with Stamkos, Gourde's isn't and he is thriving where he is right now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Also, Gourde might be playing on the 4th line but had more total ice time than Johnson, Joseph, Maroon, Paquette, Killorn, Cirelli, Conacher and Kucherov last game. In other words, only Palat and Point played more than him. His 2:04 PPTOI ranked 6th among our forwards, his 1:20 PKTOI ranked 3rd among forwards.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Gourde is the most hungry/energetic player we have. Please tell me what on earth you are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad