Prospect Info: 2019-20 Syracuse Crunch & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thanks for all the info DFC! Hope you had a good time too!

That's 12 goals in 16 games for Fortier since his trade.

That kid's a lot better than I thought.

It's interesting to me how much kids change from the time you get their initial scouting report. Point's skating, for instance, was supposed to be a weakness. Cajkovic's speed is listed as a strength, but I really don't think he has an extra gear, and I think it could hold him back. He makes up for it, to some extent, because he skates so well. Fortier, on the other hand, was blowing by kids. We'll see how well that translates when he plays against full grown men in the AHL, but I'm optimistic.

Boxscore and video here: LHJMQ – Incluant la couverture en direct des matchs, des clips audio et vidéo nouvelles exclusives, billets, statistiques, classements, horaires et autres.

Check out Fortier's assist, about 12 seconds into the video. Also check out the sheer amount of Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties. LOL

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That kid's a lot better than I thought.

It's interesting to me how much kids change from the time you get their initial scouting report. Point's skating, for instance, was supposed to be a weakness. Cajkovic's speed is listed as a strength, but I really don't think he has an extra gear, and I think it could hold him back. He makes up for it, to some extent, because he skates so well. Fortier, on the other hand, was blowing by kids. We'll see how well that translates when he plays against full grown men in the AHL, but I'm optimistic.

Boxscore and video here: LHJMQ – Incluant la couverture en direct des matchs, des clips audio et vidéo nouvelles exclusives, billets, statistiques, classements, horaires et autres.

Check out Fortier's assist, about 12 seconds into the video. Also check out the sheer amount of Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties. LOL

Pretty sure Cajkovic had a lower body injury early in the year that he's been dealing with most of the season. From prospect camp I think people were saying he was one of the fastest out there. So might just be he's not fully healthy yet but I wouldn't worry too much till he's back in prospect camp next year and he doesn't look the same.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pretty sure Cajkovic had a lower body injury early in the year that he's been dealing with most of the season. From prospect camp I think people were saying he was one of the fastest out there. So might just be he's not fully healthy yet but I wouldn't worry too much till he's back in prospect camp next year and he doesn't look the same.

Could be. I've seen him a couple of times on TV (some Sea Dogs games are shown locally) and it was the same thing, but all those games came post-injury.

And I can't stress enough how chippy the game was, and how bad the Sea Dogs were, so he looked like a man playing with boy teammates. Which brings me back to: That kid HAS to be 6 feet tall. At least.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Word this past week was Nolan Foote could make his return tonight but he was scratched. Hopefully there were no set backs

Reactions: lakai17

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
With an assist on this gwg for Minnesota, Sammy Walker sets a new career high with 27 points

2019: 10g + 16a = 26pts in 37 games
2020: 10g + 17a = 27pts in 30 games

Koepke is right behind him with 25 points this season. Guttman has 20 so far.

Cajkovic gets a hattrick in a 9-7 win over Halifax

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Bolts just had Nolan down in Tampa to be looked at by our people. I wonder if it was now trade related.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The Bolts just had Nolan down in Tampa to be looked at by our people. I wonder if it was now trade related.

If we looked at him and saw he had some issues that might be a problem down the road I feel bad for NJ that we sold them something broken. I said in my post on the trade I think his injuries the past couple of seasons might have the team concerned about his long term health. Nolan Patrick who plays a similar game both from the physical WHL hasn't been the player he was supposed to be because of injuries so again that may have been a factor in trading him now while his value is still high of the WJC. But I would feel real shitty if we saw the kid was broken and that's the reason we traded him.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If we looked at him and saw he had some issues that might be a problem down the road I feel bad for NJ that we sold them something broken. I said in my post on the trade I think his injuries the past couple of seasons might have the team concerned about his long term health. Nolan Patrick who plays a similar game both from the physical WHL hasn't been the player he was supposed to be because of injuries so again that may have been a factor in trading him now while his value is still high of the WJC. But I would feel real ****ty if we saw the kid was broken and that's the reason we traded him.
Somewhat a tangent to this, I occasionally read the Rangers board and on the few occasions I've seen Howden's name it's been in a neutral-to-negative light. Totally anecdotal and I haven't really done a deep dive either in reading opinions or looking at Howden himself, but maybe our FO is pretty decent at knowing when to cash out its chips.

EDIT: And Drouin comes to mind immediately after I hit the "Post Reply" button.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Somewhat a tangent to this, I occasionally read the Rangers board and on the few occasions I've seen Howden's name it's been in a neutral-to-negative light. Totally anecdotal and I haven't really done a deep dive either in reading opinions or looking at Howden himself, but maybe our FO is pretty decent at knowing when to cash out its chips.

EDIT: And Drouin comes to mind immediately after I hit the "Post Reply" button.

My only issue with this is how did they not see this a year or so sooner before they drafted them? I know some prospects don't develop like you had hoped so you move on but when it's happening repeatedly maybe you need to reevaluate your predraft process? Cause we always hear after the draft how high they were on this prospect or that and then not even 2 years or 6 months later they're traded.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
My only issue with this is how did they not see this a year or so sooner before they drafted them? I know some prospects don't develop like you had hoped so you move on but when it's happening repeatedly maybe you need to reevaluate your predraft process? Cause we always hear after the draft how high they were on this prospect or that and then not even 2 years or 6 months later they're traded.
Well, I think it is puzzling that the only 1st rounders in the last 10 years still with the team are Vasi and Cal Foote, but whatever process they're using also turned 2nds and 3rds into Point, Cirelli, and Kucherov.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
After the Foote trade, I was curious, so I looked up every prospect we've traded away under Yzerman/JBB/Al Murray and what the results were. As you might think, they've mostly been positive for us, as in very few have been something you'd regret or have come back and bite us.

2010-2011
8/27/10: Matt Lashoff to Toronto for Alex Berry & Stefano Giliati
10/9/10: Juraj Simek to Boston for Levi Nelson
1/1/11: Ty Wishart to NY Islanders for Dwayne Roloson
2/18/11: Brock Beukeboom & a 3rd rd pick to St. Louis for Eric Brewer

2011-2012
10/2/11: James Wright & Mike Vernace to Florida for Evan Oberg & Mike Kostka
2/19/12: Matt Fornataro to Chicago for Brandon Segal
2/27/12: Carter Ashton to Toronto for Keith Aulie

2012-2013
2/14/13: Dustin Tokarski to Montreal for Cedrick Desjardins
3/11/13: Kyle Wilson to Anaheim for Dan Sexton
4/2/13: Kirill Gotovets to Chicago for Philippe Paradis
4/3/13: Cory Conacher & a 4th rd pick to Ottawa for Ben Bishop

2016-2017
6/25/16: Anthony DeAngelo to Arizona for a 2nd rd pick
3/1/17: Adam Wilcox to Florida for Mike McKenna
5/31/17: Boko Imama to LA for a conditional 7th rd pick

2017-2018
6/21/17: Nikita Gusev, a 4th rd pick & a 2nd rd pick to Vegas for Vegas taking Garrison in the expansion draft
7/1/17: Kristers Gudlevskis to NY Islanders for Carter Verhaeghe
2/26/18: Brett Howden, Libor Hajek, Vlad Namestnikov & a 1st rd & cond. 2nd rd pick to NY Rangers for Ryan McDonagh & J.T. Miller

2018-2019
6/4/18: Connor Ingram to Nashville for a 7th rd pick

2019-2020
11/24/19: Matt Spencer to Buffalo for Devante Stephens
2/16/20: Nolan Foote & a cond. 1st rd pick (Van) to NJ for Blake Coleman

1st rd: 6 (Lashoff, Wishart, Ashton, DeAngelo, Howden, Foote)
2nd rd: 1 (Spencer)
3rd rd: 1 (Beukeboom)
4th rd: 1 (Wright)
5th rd: 2 (Gudlevskis, Tokarski)
6th rd: 3 (Simek, Wilcox, Imama)
7th rd: 3 (Vernace, Gusev, Gotovets)
9th rd: 1 (Wilson)
undrafted: 2 (Conacher, Fornataro)

Dustin Tokarski: Started 22 games over 5 seasons for Montreal, Anaheim, & NY. Started 5 playoff games for Montreal/ 9-9-4 regular season record, 2-3-0 in the playoffs

Anthony DeAngelo: After 1 year with Arizona, traded to NY. Has played a combined 188 NHL games for Arizona & NY / 22 goals, 73 assists = 95pts

Brett Howden: Has played 124 NHL games so far for NY / 13 goals, 24 assists = 37pts

Cory Conacher: Waived by Ottawa, picked up by Buffalo, and then not retained by Buffalo. Signed with NY, then waived by NY and sent to AHL, and then traded to Vancouver but stayed in the AHL. Played a combined 106 NHL games for Buffalo, Ottawa, and NY. / 10 goals, 24 assists = 34pts

Nikita Gusev: Never played for Vegas. Traded to NJ where he's played 56 games so far / 10 goals, 23 assists = 33pts

James Wright: Waived by the Panthers & picked up by Winnipeg. Played 97 NHL games played with Winnipeg / 2 goals, 5 assists = 7pts

Carter Ashton: Played 54 NHL games with Toronto / 0 goals, 3 assists = 3pts

Libor Hajek: Has played 33 NHL games for NY so far / 1 goal, 5 assists, 6pts

Ty Wishart: Played 21 NHL games for NY / 1 goal, 4 assists = 5pts

Unsurprisingly, DeAngelo is having the best career by far. As we know, Yzerman shipping him out had less to do with ability and more so to do with his attitude and maturity. I was thinking of adding young players under the age of 25, who were no longer considered prospects, but still hadn't established themselves because we've traded away our share of them the past decade, but there's not really anything there to look at. Take Adam Erne for example, by the time we traded him, it's fair to say by that point the staff can make a much better assessment on what they're giving away than you could on a prospect with little or no professional experience. So guys like Tyrell, Erne, Gudas, Panik & Barberio (both not traded, but still..), Connolly, Nesterov, Koekkoek, Drouin, Namestnikov - have done for the most part what you would expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianGuyovich

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I doubt we traded Nolan Foote because we don't think he's going to be good.

He's probably the prospect the New Jersey said they wanted, so we gave him up to make the deal.

It's all speculation of course. Maybe they asked for Cal and we redirected them to Nolan... but I don't think trying to lessen the sting by saying he might not be as good as we thought, less than a year from drafting him, makes us look any better.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I doubt we traded Nolan Foote because we don't think he's going to be good.

He's probably the prospect the New Jersey said they wanted, so we gave him up to make the deal.

It's all speculation of course. Maybe they asked for Cal and we redirected them to Nolan... but I don't think trying to lessen the sting by saying he might not be as good as we thought, less than a year from drafting him, makes us look any better.
The way I kind of look at it is there are prospects you believe you can live without and ones you can’t. You can’t get those ones wrong. Luckily this team never made the mistake of parting with a Point or dealing a Kucherov. Those will kill you. But we can breathe easy with Connolly having a productive but unspectacular career or Drouin having 40-50 point seasons for a division rival. Those don’t keep anybody up at night saying, ‘what if?’

Reactions: NatoGhost

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
To be fair Coleman is pretty damn close to what we all had hoped Nolan Foote was gonna be anyway. The Devils probably feel similar and thus wanted a similar prospect. But that skating tho...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
To be fair Coleman is pretty damn close to what we all had hoped Nolan Foote was gonna be anyway. The Devils probably feel similar and thus wanted a similar prospect. But that skating tho...
Barb Underhill doesn't work with the Devils I don't think.

We've doomed his career.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Barb Underhill doesn't work with the Devils I don't think.

We've doomed his career.

We definitely made it a lot harder. Barb is arguably the best in the business. Recently, I haven't seen a team that can consistently develop good to VERY good skaters even if they were not that good to begin with. The best example ever is probably Victor Hedman. He was never a bad skater even as an 18 year old. But these days you could create a one on one exercise with Hedman and Cirelli where the latter blocks a shot or intercepts a pass high along the blue line no differently than he would be doing so on a penalty kill and gets a fast break the other way. And there's probably a 70/30 chance Hedman is going to recover just enough to somehow disrupt the potential breakaway in some form or fashion and he's doing it at 6'6 230 lbs. The way he uses those long powerful legs to make long powerful strides with so much proficiency likens to the great Mario Lemieux. Not comparing the two as Lemieux was a hulk in his own right but was as graceful as a figure skater. Hedman at the very least knows how to use his size to be proficient at skating like Lemieux did.

All said, Nolan Foote would have really... REALLY benefitted skating wise being with us and I don't think is going to reach the same skating potential with the Devils he would have under Barb Underhill's tutelage.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

31 save win for Hugo

Alnefelt has played a good number of SHL games as the back up to Jonas Gunnarsson on HV71, especially considering he played a few for their junior team early in the season and then missed some time with Team Sweden internationally.

gprecordgaasv%so
Gunnarsson3016-14-02.14.913 5
Alnefelt148-5-02.37.911 0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Tyler Bird loaned to the Crunch from Orlando.

A bit surprising he was the one to get the call. Bird has had some consistency issues offensively, although he's on his game right now of course.

Cammarata, Coughler, May, and Olson are all very strong candidates. Olson and Bird would probably fit the traditional bottom six type role in the AHL the easiest though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad