Prospect Info: 2019-20 Syracuse Crunch & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Men’s Hockey’s Green Earns ECAC’s Best Defensive Defenseman Award
He played a key role on a defense that regularly started three freshmen and had just three returning everyday players in Green, Kaldis and junior Cody Haiskanen.

Cornell allowed just 1.55 goals per game this season, the second-fewest in the country.
Cornell's Alex Green Wins Best Defensive Defenseman
Green (Jr. - Chicago, Ill.) led a Cornell blue line that ranked second in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just 1.55 goals per-game in 2019-20. He was second on the team in +/- rating, boasting a +19 mark through 29 games. He also blocked 35 shots, and contributed on the offensive end with 16 points.

The Big Red finished the season as the No. 1-ranked team in the country.

Quartet of Bulldogs Leads 2019-20 NCHC All-Conference First Team
The other Bulldogs to claim First Team All-NCHC are sophomore forwards Noah Cates, an All-Rookie Team pick last year, and Cole Koepke.

Cates and Koepke finished third and fourth in conference scoring with 27 and 26 points, respectively, both playing in all 24 NCHC games. Koepke, a Tampa Bay Lightning prospect, led all NCHC players with both 14 goals and 128 shots on goal in conference play, while Cates, a Philadelphia Flyers draft pick, tied for second with 11 goals and added 16 helpers. Both were +10 on the year.

Chrona was also a finalist for NCHC Goaltender of the Year

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

18 year old Hugo Alnefelt is not a finalist for the SHL rookie of the year.

Finalists are 25 year old Jesper Froden, 26 year old Manuel Agren, and Alexander Holtz, who is a projected top pick in the 2020 nhl draft.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
No prospects are playing right now, but one story to keep an eye on is dman Ryan Zuhlsdorf. The NCAA canceled the rest of their games back in March, so his college career is officially over, but due to everything that is going on, his professional one is seemingly in limbo.

Normally we'd know by now what our intentions are with a ex-college prospect at this time of the year by if a player finished their year in Syracuse or not. For example, 4 year college players like Peca and Witkowski joined Syracuse for the end of their seasons before signing entry level deals in the summer. Alex Killorn even signed his ELC that March before joining Norfolk during their stretch run. On the other hand, a player like Johnathan MacLeod never made it to Syracuse after he finished up at BU and was not retained before the August deadline. Right now, the AHL season is still indefinitely suspended, and will remain that way until at the very least May.

It's hard to say what the Lightning's interest is in him, but looking down at Syracuse, the cupboard is pretty empty on d prospects. There is also an immediate need as it looks like no other Lightning d prospects are turning pro for the 2020-21 season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No prospects are playing right now, but one story to keep an eye on is dman Ryan Zuhlsdorf. The NCAA canceled the rest of their games back in March, so his college career is officially over, but due to everything that is going on, his professional one is seemingly in limbo.

Normally we'd know by now what our intentions are with a ex-college prospect at this time of the year by if a player finished their year in Syracuse or not. For example, 4 year college players like Peca and Witkowski joined Syracuse for the end of their seasons before signing entry level deals in the summer. Alex Killorn even signed his ELC that March before joining Norfolk during their stretch run. On the other hand, a player like Johnathan MacLeod never made it to Syracuse after he finished up at BU and was not retained before the August deadline. Right now, the AHL season is still indefinitely suspended, and will remain that way until at the very least May.

It's hard to say what the Lightning's interest is in him, but looking down at Syracuse, the cupboard is pretty empty on d prospects. There is also an immediate need as it looks like no other Lightning d prospects are turning pro for the 2020-21 season.

I don't think he's worth giving an ELC to. His offensive game never developed at Minnesota and is a bit small the be a shutdown guy. The Lightning should resign Guance and Masin which is two LD spots unless Masin makes the big club as a 6/7. One of Stephens or Sieloff should be brought back and we still have Sosunov hanging around. Since he's signing at 22/23, depending on when that is, its just a two year ELC. I just think you can use an NHL contract on someone better, i would offer him an AHL deal only.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hugo Alnefelt could be HV71's starter for next season.

google translated:
It looks to be a very young goalkeeper pair in HV71 next season. Established and soon-to-be 28-year-old first-time goalkeeper this past season, Jonas Gunnarsson, wants to test games abroad again after 2016/2017 playing 16 AHL matches in Nashville's Farmers Milwaukee team. Gunnarsson's contract with HV expires on April 30.

It has opened the opportunity for HV71 to release JVM goalkeeper Hugo Alnefelt, 18, and U-team teammate Adam Åhman, 20. It remains to be seen if that will be the case.
Hugo Alnefelt has one year left on his contract with HV and the NHL club Tampa Bay is reported to see SHL as a continued good development environment for him.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Google translated:

J.-P. Côté keeps the Lightning players alert
Development director takes advantage of confinement to play remote teacher

The interruption of the regular hockey season in the National Hockey League does not prevent Jean-Philippe Côté from taking care of the players of the Tampa Bay Lightning organization while being away from them.

Even if they don't know when they can start again, professional sports teams must make sure their athletes are ready to go back to work quickly when the crisis is gone.
Côté’s director of development for the Lightning, plays remote teacher with the team’s players as well as those from the Syracuse school club. In isolation in Stoneham since his return from New Jersey, his place of residence in the United States, a few days ago, his time is devoted to the homework of his hockey players and his 5-year-old son.

"I am in contact with players and I try to keep them alive a bit in terms of hockey and their brains. I relaunch them with clips (videos) so that they can improve. I have plenty of time to take care of my players! He said, laughing in a telephone interview with Le Journal.
Since Côté regularly travels to Syracuse in normal times to spy on the hopes of the Lightning playing in the American League, the Quebecer believes it was crucial that "these guys are not left to themselves". He also works with players from the junior ranks.

"With the development team that I work with, I set up cats to exchange psychological and physical information. For now, that's all we can do. In addition, for the guys who are going to be fished out, if there is no development camp (planned for the end of June or the beginning of July), they will miss the aspect “what is it to be a professional''.

“In addition, if we had doubts about the maturity of certain [players], we will see if we are right or not in certain cases. The management and I will be open and smart enough to take this [pandemic break] into account, "said the former defender who participated in eight games in the Canadiens' uniform in 2005-2006.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Cole Koepke, Minnesota Duluth University

Koepke does not pass up many chances to shoot the puck. He was third in Division I with 156 shots on goal.
The sophomore forward (6-1, 196) earned first-team all-National Collegiate Hockey Conference and second-team All-American honors with 33 points (16 goals, 17 points) in 34 games. His 16 goals tied North Dakota forward Shane Pinto for the most in the NCHC.

... sophomore forward Cole Koepke earned the Mike Sertich Award (Most Improved Player) after collecting 33 points -- a 15-point increase from his rookie season -- to rank tied for second on the club.
The University of Minnesota Duluth hockey program also announced its team captains for the 2020-21 season. Captaining the two-time defending NCAA National Champions will be junior forward Noah Cates (Captain), who will become the first undergraduate captain to lead the Bulldogs since current UMD men's hockey assistant coach Adam Krause co-captained the Bulldogs in 2013-14. Seniors Louie Roehl and Nick Swaney along with junior Cole Koepke will serve as assistant captains.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Here's an interview with Mikhail Shalagin. He talks about playing in the ECHL, living in Orlando, and some of the changes in his game. Right now, Shalagin and his family have returned home to Russia during the pandemic.

Google translation:

In May last year, Spartak striker Mikhail Shalagin received the prize "The most valuable player in the MHL." He was 19, and at that moment he decided to drastically change his life. Michael went to the Tampa system to go to his dream step by step. In March, the coronavirus epidemic temporarily covered the entire world sport, and Mikhail Shalagin returned to Russia.

- The last time we talked with you when you returned from a training camp in May. Now tell us how things were in August, when did you go to the beginners camp?
- Everything was good. We had a tournament in Nashville between teams made up of young guys. I think that the pre-season turned out to be good for me, because I scored two goals in three games. And after the tournament there were already regular workouts. We were preparing for the season.

- During this tournament did someone from the conditionally the fourth NHL link play?
“I don’t know, to be honest.” There were Eely Tolvanen from Nashville and Ilya Samsonov from Washington.

- Where did you live at that time?
- We all lived in a hotel.

- After the beginner camp did you go to the AHL?
- Yes, then we were all sent to Syracuse, and those who are younger went to the Canadian junior leagues. They also played several friendly matches. Then they trained before the start of the season.

- And how did you live there?
- First, also at the hotel, and when the family arrived, we began to live in apartments at the hotel. The conditions were good. The family arrived in October. The season has just begun.

- Why didn’t you play in the AHL?
- I do not know. They promised me that I would play. The situation was a little incomprehensible. They explained to me that there are many players who are a little older than me, who were sitting and waiting for their chance. As I understand it, they had a privilege.

- What was advised to you after the beginners camp? What should I add?
- Physically it was necessary to add. I spent a lot of time in the gym.

- Did they tell you something about the game in defense?

- Yes. They talked a lot about it in Orlando when I played ECHL. I had a very bad plus / minus indicator. It was unusual for me at first because of the size of the sites.

- In the camps you feel that everyone is ready to "eat" each other?
- There is a feeling. I will say this: in training everything was quite calm and without “dirt”. But in the tournament everyone fought very hard.

- ECHL. What kind of league is this?
- Good league, I liked it. I think that she is better than our VHL. It was much harder to play there. Maybe it seemed because I needed
time to get used to the league and the venues.

- So you lived in Florida. Often traveled to the ocean?
- Life was, of course, cool. But it’s an hour to the ocean. When it was a weekend, we tried to spend time at home and walk around the pool.

- Tell us about the Orlando Solar Bears team. It seems not the strongest team.

- We walked mainly in the middle of the table. We almost got into the playoffs when the season ended due to a virus. The team was in ninth place, if not mistaken.

- What is the most difficult bus ride?
- 6-7 hours by bus - this is normal. If more, then the plane. The most difficult trip was to Atlanta. They went there for about eight hours. And we often went to Atlanta. Two, three times a season. Buses are exactly the same as in Russia, we took pillows and blankets so that we could lie down.

- How are you with the English language?
- It became a little better. When I arrived, I didn’t talk at all. In the store and restaurant I can now explain. Of course, I'm not talking perfectly yet. But I can convey the thought.

“How did your family live in Orlando?”
- Fine. Often went to the pool, his wife back in the hall. Nothing special.

- You managed to find in America the first days when a pandemic was declared. People bought up toilet paper?
- In principle, everything was calm, but the people in stores increased. They bought a lot of water, but they always buy it. We also took a lot of water in stores. At first there was no panic, and we thought it was all bloated. Of course, they tried once again not to go anywhere, because we have children.

- What did the team say to you in connection with the pandemic?

- First, they left everyone at home for a week, and then they gathered them in the locker room and said that the season would not be played out. And they sent everyone home.

- You arrived in Moscow not so long ago. Have you been checked at the border?
- Yes, this story with the virus was already in full swing, but the most amazing thing is that we flew from America and were able to leave the airport faster than usual. We have never been tested.

- You called the Hot Line and asked what to do?
- Yes. I called and asked what should we do? They said that two weeks it is necessary to stay at home. I advise everyone. There is no other way out now.

- Did this year benefit you in terms of hockey?

- Yes. I added in the game in defense, in power struggle. But in general, the season was not very good. I think that I scored a few points.

- What are your plans for the next season?
- We have not even started talking on this topic. There are other problems in the world now.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Here's an interview with Mikhail Shalagin. He talks about playing in the ECHL, living in Orlando, and some of the changes in his game. Right now, Shalagin and his family have returned home to Russia during the pandemic.

Google translation:

In May last year, Spartak striker Mikhail Shalagin received the prize "The most valuable player in the MHL." He was 19, and at that moment he decided to drastically change his life. Michael went to the Tampa system to go to his dream step by step. In March, the coronavirus epidemic temporarily covered the entire world sport, and Mikhail Shalagin returned to Russia.

- The last time we talked with you when you returned from a training camp in May. Now tell us how things were in August, when did you go to the beginners camp?
- Everything was good. We had a tournament in Nashville between teams made up of young guys. I think that the pre-season turned out to be good for me, because I scored two goals in three games. And after the tournament there were already regular workouts. We were preparing for the season.

- During this tournament did someone from the conditionally the fourth NHL link play?
“I don’t know, to be honest.” There were Eely Tolvanen from Nashville and Ilya Samsonov from Washington.

- Where did you live at that time?
- We all lived in a hotel.

- After the beginner camp did you go to the AHL?
- Yes, then we were all sent to Syracuse, and those who are younger went to the Canadian junior leagues. They also played several friendly matches. Then they trained before the start of the season.

- And how did you live there?
- First, also at the hotel, and when the family arrived, we began to live in apartments at the hotel. The conditions were good. The family arrived in October. The season has just begun.

- Why didn’t you play in the AHL?
- I do not know. They promised me that I would play. The situation was a little incomprehensible. They explained to me that there are many players who are a little older than me, who were sitting and waiting for their chance. As I understand it, they had a privilege.

- What was advised to you after the beginners camp? What should I add?
- Physically it was necessary to add. I spent a lot of time in the gym.

- Did they tell you something about the game in defense?

- Yes. They talked a lot about it in Orlando when I played ECHL. I had a very bad plus / minus indicator. It was unusual for me at first because of the size of the sites.

- In the camps you feel that everyone is ready to "eat" each other?
- There is a feeling. I will say this: in training everything was quite calm and without “dirt”. But in the tournament everyone fought very hard.

- ECHL. What kind of league is this?
- Good league, I liked it. I think that she is better than our VHL. It was much harder to play there. Maybe it seemed because I needed
time to get used to the league and the venues.

- So you lived in Florida. Often traveled to the ocean?
- Life was, of course, cool. But it’s an hour to the ocean. When it was a weekend, we tried to spend time at home and walk around the pool.

- Tell us about the Orlando Solar Bears team. It seems not the strongest team.

- We walked mainly in the middle of the table. We almost got into the playoffs when the season ended due to a virus. The team was in ninth place, if not mistaken.

- What is the most difficult bus ride?
- 6-7 hours by bus - this is normal. If more, then the plane. The most difficult trip was to Atlanta. They went there for about eight hours. And we often went to Atlanta. Two, three times a season. Buses are exactly the same as in Russia, we took pillows and blankets so that we could lie down.

- How are you with the English language?
- It became a little better. When I arrived, I didn’t talk at all. In the store and restaurant I can now explain. Of course, I'm not talking perfectly yet. But I can convey the thought.

“How did your family live in Orlando?”
- Fine. Often went to the pool, his wife back in the hall. Nothing special.

- You managed to find in America the first days when a pandemic was declared. People bought up toilet paper?
- In principle, everything was calm, but the people in stores increased. They bought a lot of water, but they always buy it. We also took a lot of water in stores. At first there was no panic, and we thought it was all bloated. Of course, they tried once again not to go anywhere, because we have children.

- What did the team say to you in connection with the pandemic?

- First, they left everyone at home for a week, and then they gathered them in the locker room and said that the season would not be played out. And they sent everyone home.

- You arrived in Moscow not so long ago. Have you been checked at the border?
- Yes, this story with the virus was already in full swing, but the most amazing thing is that we flew from America and were able to leave the airport faster than usual. We have never been tested.

- You called the Hot Line and asked what to do?
- Yes. I called and asked what should we do? They said that two weeks it is necessary to stay at home. I advise everyone. There is no other way out now.

- Did this year benefit you in terms of hockey?

- Yes. I added in the game in defense, in power struggle. But in general, the season was not very good. I think that I scored a few points.

- What are your plans for the next season?
- We have not even started talking on this topic. There are other problems in the world now.

ECHL playoffs are division based, so like 5th place, when they needed to be 4th

OSB needs a shakeup in a few different areas.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Anyone know if you'll get a refund of some sort on AHL live?
With the ECHL, that was a matter of the host site. Here it'd be hockeytv.com.

I feel awful for San Antonio fans. They knew they were losing their team, and they don't get that final run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->