Prospect Info: 2019-20 Syracuse Crunch & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
How can you say play better and earn it yet be ok with Sommpi being scratched after the preseason he just had? What more does Sommpi have to do to earn it? I have no problem with Smith getting in the lineup because he earned it too but to scratch someone who was arguable the best Crunch player in the preseason after one game doesn't make sense. It just seems to me like the vets get better treatment than the younger players and don't have to earn their spot like the kids do.
Sommpi was rewarded he made the team now he has to make the most of his chances and work his way up. Two good exhibition games does not place you ahead of guys who have already proved themselves.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Boris Katchouk is cooked. I don't know what happened between the end of his junior career and the start of his pro but he isn't the same player. He still plays hard every shift, is physical and a pest on the forecheck he just doesn't have the offense for the pro game. I don't know what happened to his shot but he just can't find a corner or opening, his playmaking isn't even there to back it up. He could still turn it around and become an NHL player but he's looking more like a Paquette than a Palat.

Gemel Smith is too good for the AHL but also not good enough to be an everyday NHL player. You can see he is more skilled than just about any player in the AHL but he just doesn't have that one skill that keeps you in the NHL. Would like to see him find that skill cause I think he could be a Brandon Tanev type guy who finds a role and makes an NHL career out of it. Schenn also looks a bit too good but I can why he's not in the NHL too. He's on a one way deal so he can't be too upset. Team had a good weekend in Cleveland getting some revenge for the playoffs last year but still don't look like they've found chemistry just yet. Goaltending has been a strength which is no surprise.
Katchouk has been cooked for a while now he has been unable to adjust to the speed. Also Gemel Smith is a good player but too good for the AHL is quite the stretch. Isn’t this the same Katchouk that you thought Ben should be giving more ice time to ?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Katchouk has been cooked for a while now he has been unable to adjust to the speed. Also Gemel Smith is a good player but too good for the AHL is quite the stretch. Isn’t this the same Katchouk that you thought Ben should be giving more ice time to ?

I want him to get more time because I view Syracuse as a development team with winning as a bonus. You obviously care more about wins than development. He has skills as he showed in juniors I just don't know where they went. I don't know if more minutes and more offensive minutes might break him from his slump or not. He has been good in the defensive role he's been playing I would just like a game or two with him getting PP1 time and time on the top line with a Smith or Conacher. But the way he continues to play I don't think it will matter anymore.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I want him to get more time because I view Syracuse as a development team with winning as a bonus. You obviously care more about wins than development. He has skills as he showed in juniors I just don't know where they went. I don't know if more minutes and more offensive minutes might break him from his slump or not. He has been good in the defensive role he's been playing I would just like a game or two with him getting PP1 time and time on the top line with a Smith or Conacher. But the way he continues to play I don't think it will matter anymore.
Syracuse is a development team and they have done a great job of doing it by using veterans in key roles in order to ease prospects into playing time. The ones that succeed progress and graduate to the nhl. The ones that don’t stay on the forth line. Putting players in situations where they won’t succeed does nothing for there develop. Winning at all levels is critical to proper development losing is not !!!

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Syracuse is a development team and they have done a great job of doing it by using veterans in key roles in order to ease prospects into playing time. The ones that succeed progress and graduate to the nhl. The ones that don’t stay on the forth line. Putting players in situations where they won’t succeed does nothing for there develop. Winning at all levels is critical to proper development losing is not !!!
Putting development so far above winning is also a huge mistake given the realities of fanbases. If a team has a terrible record every year, it threatens the existence of the team due to the inevitable attendance issues.

Development first doesn't really work in a capitalist economy because casual fans don't really care about big picture organizational stuff. They already are inclined to look down on the minor league game because it doesn't conform exactly to NHL standards by whatever arbitrary metric they're using.

They can at least get behind a winner for a while until they can realize that watching NHL games doesn't mean they're in the NHL.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Foote talks about his relationship with Schenn, both coming out of the Kelowna Rockets program. Schenn could be a great mentor for Foote.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Foote selected for Team WHL and Fortier for Team QMJHL

Team QMJHL's games will be November 4th & 5th
Team WHL's games will be November 13th & 14th

google translate:

Time for the BEST players of the week!

Goalkeeper: Vadim Zherenko (@mhkdynamo)

Defender: Dmitry Semykin (@ ska1946)

Forward: Alexey Tsyplakov (SKA-1946)

# MHL11 # League Strong

Semykin off to a strong start with 1 goal and 9 points in his first 10 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwui21

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“As general manager, I included all of our hockey operations people in this decision,” said Hamilton. “When you’re picking a captain, you need someone who is going to be a proven leader and, in my mind, Nolan will be a great leader for the Rockets this season. He’s been our best player most nights this season so far, and I believe that your captain has to be your best player most nights.

“I think his brother Cal was an excellent captain for us, and he has a lot of those traits of his brother. He’s come out of his first NHL camp stronger than ever.”

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Game 2 in the Solar Bears season felt like a game in the dog days of the season. Not super interesting and one that will be forgotten.

The Bears collected a large amount of shots, but most of the ones in the first half of the game were low quality with not a lot of follow-up.

The jerseys are just as bad. From a distance, they look a lot like an Islanders kit, which is the only thing that's softened me to them because I generally like the Islanders threads and these are clearly our fishsticks.

I yearn for the day teal will return from its forced exile to take it's rightful seat to the right of purple at the head of the divine table. The orange interloper will be demoted again with in time, but we must wait.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
3 point night (1g + 2a) for N.Foote. He's currently 5th in WHL scoring (7g + 9a = 16pts in 11 games)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Bears won tonight 4-2. It should have been 4-1, but alas.

Sosunov had a good play tonight. I see the improvement in his skating. Huntington needs some time still to adapt.

A lot of guys haven't really come 'online' yet. The SJ guys outside Donaghey and Kosorenkov haven't really made an impact yet. Colby McAuley and Michael Brodzinski were two of the best players on the team last year too.

I don't want to tell Drake what to do for drills, but seeing the logic in the Lightning doing a bunch of battle drills makes me sort of think that OSB needs to go heavy on them as well. They sort of lucked into two quick goals tonight and that got them running instead of starting the game ready to play fast and physical. They seem to have defense down pretty well though and the Blades were held to very long periods of time without shots.

The Everblades are running a flipping 1-3-1 trap. Talk about a blast from the past. The ECHL is usually the normal stuff. 1-2-2. 2-1-2, etc.

Unfortunately I don't think the Bears could get away with inflicting the psychological damage the Flyers did in undercutting the spirit of that system, but the Bruins showed that you could just skate through the middle.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Bears won tonight 4-2. It should have been 4-1, but alas.

Sosunov had a good play tonight. I see the improvement in his skating. Huntington needs some time still to adapt.

A lot of guys haven't really come 'online' yet. The SJ guys outside Donaghey and Kosorenkov haven't really made an impact yet. Colby McAuley and Michael Brodzinski were two of the best players on the team last year too.

I don't want to tell Drake what to do for drills, but seeing the logic in the Lightning doing a bunch of battle drills makes me sort of think that OSB needs to go heavy on them as well. They sort of lucked into two quick goals tonight and that got them running instead of starting the game ready to play fast and physical. They seem to have defense down pretty well though and the Blades were held to very long periods of time without shots.

The Everblades are running a flipping 1-3-1 trap. Talk about a blast from the past. The ECHL is usually the normal stuff. 1-2-2. 2-1-2, etc.

Unfortunately I don't think the Bears could get away with inflicting the psychological damage the Flyers did in undercutting the spirit of that system, but the Bruins showed that you could just skate through the middle.
Any news on Lipanov?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
7-6 OT Loss for Syracuse

Chrona is 6-0-0 with a .930 save percentage, a 1.83 goals-against average and two shutouts for the No. 1 ranked team in the country.

"He's had a couple of games where he's been really, really good. He's had a couple of moments where he's looked like a freshman, but overall we've been really happy with him,'' Carle said. "He has a good demeanor about him. What's exciting is it's his first year over in North America. The way he's adapting culturally, fitting in with classes and his teammates and all of that, is really impressive."

Adjusting to a smaller North American rink has not been a problem for the 19-year-old who was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the fifth round (No. 152) of the 2018 NHL Draft.

"He's played four of six games on the small rink," Carle said. "We've talked about it. Things do happen, certainly, faster, but I think it's good for him. He has to be engaged all the time, which is kind of an area of his game that, if you wanted to get nitpicky, needs the most work."
Chrona has never been on a junior national team for Sweden, where as Alnefelt has played on the U-17 and U-18 teams. I wonder if Chrona keeps this up, if that'll get him a look for the World Juniors.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Crunch give up another 2 goal lead in the 3rd, but this time they win it in OT

Also, Cal Foote probably gave Marlies fans terrible Mike Kostka flashbacks on that goal :laugh:

Reactions: Tampacuseforever

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Fortier and N.Foote will both wear 'A's for Team QMJHL and Team WHL during the Canada-Russia Super Series

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The Bears don't play again until Sunday afternoon, although this seems like an injury ladder issue.

Jimmy Huntington had a fine game last night with Orlando, scoring a goal in OSB's 6-2 win over Jacksonville. He's got at the very least top end ECHL skill and will get his chances in the AHL. He was showing that potential from his first game down here, but he needed a bit of time to adjust to a new team.

Alexei Lipanov returned to the lineup after missing a few games and notched 2 PP goals. @TheDaysOf 04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad