2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Chemistry does matter, I mean you've never heard of talented teams torn apart by internal dissension?

Chemistry doesn't substitute for talent, but it does augment talent, or conversely, a team with bad chemistry is often less than the sum of its parts.

So attempting to incrementally increase talent at every spot on the roster at the expense of team chemistry can be counter-productive.

Just as important as chemistry is "fit," there's only one puck, so just having talented offensive players without players who'll do the dirty work to get the puck to the talented players can make those talented players less productive. And offensive players often need teammates on the ice who'll CYA for them.
Explain Roman Cechmanek?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Close enough that Vorobyev's failures suggests NAK's success was never a given.
Basically dead even in 2017-18, NAK was better in 2018-19.
AHL performance is suggestive, but not determinate, of NHL performance.

GF% is a meaningless stat, basically +/-, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a source for xGF for AHL players
HDCF% would be more valuable, but Phancy Stats doesn't provide previous seasons on his site that I can find.

It was not dead even when NAK was a top 10 EV producer in the entire AHL and almost doubled Vorobyev in goals and had 50% more EV production... with very similar possesion stats while having way more individual impact on shot rates.

And NAK has always been fast, intense, and good 2-ways. Basically a great bottom six skillset.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
You know who needs to be more of a professional, battle harder, get himself ready to play, compete hard, and only care about wins and losses?

Vorobyev

I'm kidding, be gentle

I thought you were going to say Sanheim.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He owns a farm, leave him be. It's no oil money, but it's a close second.
fetchimage

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Oh, man. This is peak old-school, hockey man cornball logic. Don Cherry would be proud.

Bundy and Colby will be reciting this verbatim on future postgame shows.

"He gets himself ready to play."

I recall quite a few softies being let in during the first few minutes of games he started this season (& in previous seasons).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was not dead even when NAK was a top 10 EV producer in the entire AHL and almost doubled Vorobyev in goals and had 50% more EV production... with very similar possesion stats while having way more individual impact on shot rates.

And NAK has always been fast, intense, and good 2-ways. Basically a great bottom six skillset.

Except he wasn't that last year when he came up or in TC.
He was OK, but didn't stand out.
Which may have been nerves. Or not understanding what it takes to stick in the NHL.

Watching both of them in the AHL, I thought a lot of NAK's production came off speed and hustle (which works better at that level, see Bailey who scored at a similar rate), while Vorobyev looked like the more talented player, a much better passer and better vision. NAK looked like the 4th line forechecker and Vorobyev like a potential 3C.

Flash forward to this season, NAK looked better in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL, showed me better puck skills and a more consistent shot.
Meanwhile, Vorobyev seemed to play "small," wasn't aggressive on the forecheck and looked hesitant on offense and a step behind.

It may have been that NAK needed the "wake up call" to take his game up a level where Vorobyev's skating and lack of an edge were exposed.
Shows how difficult it is to project players, both Weal and Cousins were AHL stars but have never quite put it together at the NHL level.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Which may have been nerves. Or not understanding what it takes to stick in the NHL.

Watching both of them in the AHL, I thought a lot of NAK's production came off speed and hustle (which works better at that level, see Bailey who scored at a similar rate), while Vorobyev looked like the more talented player, a much better passer and better vision. NAK looked like the 4th line forechecker and Vorobyev like a potential 3C.

Flash forward to this season, NAK looked better in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL, showed me better puck skills and a more consistent shot.
Meanwhile, Vorobyev seemed to play "small," wasn't aggressive on the forecheck and looked hesitant on offense and a step behind.

It may have been that NAK needed the "wake up call" to take his game up a level where Vorobyev's skating and lack of an edge were exposed.
Shows how difficult it is to project players, both Weal and Cousins were AHL stars but have never quite put it together at the NHL level.

No, it was that NAK needed an actual real shot playing real minutes for a real amount of games instead of getting Hakstoled.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, it was that NAK needed an actual real shot playing real minutes for a real amount of games instead of getting Hakstoled.

NAK did exactly what all cliche-lovers always squawk about... he worked hard in the AHL and proved he deserved a shot.

Except that never happened until LOOONG after it should have because NHL staff are hypocrites.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Your insane. NAK loves to throw the body. Keep NAK and send down JVR then bring up Twarynski. He can show JVR what it means to play with some grit.

Good point. I’m also worried that JVR might be the mole, reporting back on locker room talk to management.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Oh, man. This is peak old-school, hockey man cornball logic. Don Cherry would be proud.

Bundy and Colby will be reciting this verbatim on future postgame shows.
"He gets himself ready every day"

That's the best he could up with.

Reactions: Stizzle

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Bailey never showed the IQ at the AHL level that NAK did... despite his physical gifts.
He also scored less at 5v5 over the previous two years (0.24 EVG/GP, 0.42 EVP/GP) with worse underlying stats (48.58% CF) while being a year older.

NAK's only issue in the AHL was puck management going up ice. He made fantastic passes once in the OZ, constantly got into great positions, and was great defensively as well. I think NAK in the NHL looks exactly like AHL NAK... except more disciplined physically.

Weal and Cousins are both solid bottom six NHLers... who were not dissimilar level EV scorers in the AHL to NAK, but PP beasts:

Last AHL seasons:

Weal: 0.23 EVG/GP, 0.53 EVP/GP
Cousins: 0.26 EVG/GP, 0.66 EVP/GP

but NAK has better physical skills than both.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I though NAK looked stiffer in the AHL than he does in the NHL, and I don't remember too many "fantastic passes," although he doesn't have stone hands like Bailey. Vorobyev is the one with the great passing skills, especially behind the net, he could thread the needle, for some reason his passing skills haven't translated as well to the NHL, maybe he's too deliberate and the windows close faster.

NAK to me skates a bit like TK, both are straight line fast, neither has a lot of shake and bake, TK just has better offensive skills, NAK is a lot more physical (bigger body, TK has plenty of heart).

NAK has surprised me with his NHL play, maybe it's just playing with more talented teammates since he's better without the puck. He played with a lot more energy after he was called up than last season or TC, and you don't need extended PT to show that off, it's what has kept Pitlick in the league, he is flying every shift. It's what won Twarynski a job in TC, he impressed the new HC with his high energy play. It may well have been that NAK was thinking too much or afraid of making a mistake, and didn't go balls to the wall. Because the easiest thing to spot is a high energy player. High IQ play is a bit more subtle.

Friedman is similar to NAK in that he's been competent at the AHL level but I don't ever remember him jumping out at me like Sanheim or Myers. In the same way, NAK always looked solid, but I've seen Kase flash skills that NAK lacks. If Kase could stay healthy I think he could explode onto the scene (if he keeps getting dinged he may never get the shot that allows his brother to be a hot commodity despite his injury history).

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
He has credibility?

Meltzer knows hockey. It terms of those that cover the Flyers, he is by far the most knowledgeable. Unfortunately, ever since he was hired by the Flyers, he isn't allowed to question anything the Flyers do because it would obviously get him in trouble. That's why 99% of the stuff he puts out now is just fluff pieces.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Meltzer knows hockey. It terms of those that cover the Flyers, he is by far the most knowledgeable. Unfortunately, ever since he was hired by the Flyers, he isn't allowed to question anything the Flyers do because it would obviously get him in trouble. That's why 99% of the stuff he puts out now is just fluff pieces.
I guess I’ve only read his fluff pieces then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad