2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeh, NAK was better than Vorobyev in 17-18 and 18-19. He was the Phantoms best fwd both years at 5v5.

2017-18:

NAK:
54.64% Corsi, +5.99 CF Rel, 60.4% 5v5 GF
0.25 EVG/GP, 0.60 EVP/GP

Vorobyev:
55.67% Corsi, +6.10 CF Rel, 57.1% 5v5 GF
0.14 EVG/GP, 0.38 EVP/GP

2018-19:

NAK:
51.18% Corsi, +6.31 CF Rel, 53.7% 5v5 GF
0.30 EVG/GP, 0.48 EVP/GP

Vorobyev:
48.10% Corsi, +3.13 CF Rel, 44.2% 5v5 GF
0.07 EVG/GP, 0.40 EVP/GP

Me, waiting for the 'contextualized' rebuttal. :popcorn:

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Meltzer's Player Profiles: Brian Elliott

46160D60-549A-44D5-AEF9-3F899F55FC08.jpeg

***Turd polishing engaged***

TB87

May 30, 2018
I'm sorry I don't get the hate for Elliott. He's the backup goalie who goes in when Hart needs rest. If you say all you care about is wins Elliott is tied for 30th in the league in Win percentage for a goalie for goalies over 20 games started.

He’s mediocre among the 31 most played backup goalies this season:

Save%: 21st
Save% Above Expected: 22nd
Goals Saved Above Expected: 22nd

I don’t hate him. I recognize he’s thoroughly mediocre and that there could be an opportunity to upgrade the position this offseason (Anton Khudobin). Khudobin’s been at the very least an above average backup the past few seasons and bringing him in as Hart’s backup next season makes the Flyers a better team. I am fully aboard the making the team better at any and every possible position train.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

I don’t hate him. I recognize he’s thoroughly mediocre and that there could be an opportunity to upgrade the position this offseason (Anton Khudobin). Khudobin’s been at the very least an above average backup the past few seasons and bringing him in as Hart’s backup next season makes the Flyers a better team. I am fully aboard the making the team better at any and every possible position train.
The Flyers don't have the cap space for Doby….

TB87

May 30, 2018
The Flyers don't have the cap space for Doby….

The salary cap for next season is in no way finalized yet so it’s premature to assume that they won’t have the cap space to sign him. It’s entirely a wait and see situation currently

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The salary cap for next season is in no way finalized yet so it’s premature to assume that they won’t have the cap space to sign him. It’s entirely a wait and see situation currently
Doby will want a raise on his 2.5 Million this year. The cap will be going down or staying flat. This pandemic almost makes that a given.

Here's what the Flyers are looking at:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm sorry I don't get the hate for Elliott. He's the backup goalie who goes in when Hart needs rest. If you say all you care about is wins Elliott is tied for 30th in the league in Win percentage for a goalie for goalies over 20 games started.

Average save percentage for a backup is .900.

Elliott is rocking an .899, slightly below average (and was trending downwards). On the other hand, Hart was managing .914 on the same team, which is above average for a starter.

Elliott's stats are still boosted by a very strong start. But he has faded a lot, and that's a bad trait in a backup. You need a guy you can rely upon the whole year, not for the first couple months.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Average save percentage for a backup is .900.

Elliott is rocking an .899, slightly below average (and was trending downwards). On the other hand, Hart was managing .914 on the same team, which is above average for a starter.

Elliott's stats are still boosted by a very strong start. But he has faded a lot, and that's a bad trait in a backup. You need a guy you can rely upon the whole year, not for the first couple months.

Hart is also an enigma just looking at stats. I'm not focusing on stats cause really in a back all that matters is wins.

Also Elliott seemed to have righted the ship in his last 10...It was the disaster west coast trip that got him.
Brian Elliott Stats and News

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hart is also an enigma just looking at stats. I'm not focusing on stats cause really in a back all that matters is wins.

Also Elliott seemed to have righted the ship in his last 10...It was the disaster west coast trip that got him.
Brian Elliott Stats and News

Hart is really young and that's natural. What we need is a reliable backup, and that's not Elliott anymore.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Doby will want a raise on his 2.5 Million this year. The cap will be going down or staying flat. This pandemic almost makes that a given.

Here's what the Flyers are looking at:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I doubt he gets the raise he's looking for with the uncertainty around the cap and with how a similar player (Halak) signed a new deal ~1M less than expected. I'll be shocked if many UFA's at all cash in this summer.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

I never liked Elliott as a starter. That said, he played well at times, and as a backup, his short hot streak this year while Hart was hurt help keep this season alive. His record of 16-7 is pretty good for a backup even given the nights he crapped the bed.

And with a rookie like Hart, you need someone who can get along with him, preferably mentor him, and still win his share of starts. He seems to be accomplishing his goals and what the team is asking of him.

Now, next year, if an affordable goalie who is a clear performance upgrade is available, they should look at it knowing that Elliott is a backup plan for one more year until one of the kids is ready.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I wonder if at time gms and coach like to keep the team together once they form a good bond. Meaning from all reports the locker room was really good and tight. And some of are weaker links seem to be glue style guys. So rather then just change the weaker links for marginal upgrades in FA. They keep the same ones and wait for a kid to push them out.

Reactions: orangey

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh, man. This is peak old-school, hockey man cornball logic. Don Cherry would be proud.

Bundy and Colby will be reciting this verbatim on future postgame shows.
You know who needs to be more of a professional, battle harder, get himself ready to play, compete hard, and only care about wins and losses?

Vorobyev

I'm kidding, be gentle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Chemistry does matter, I mean you've never heard of talented teams torn apart by internal dissension?

Chemistry doesn't substitute for talent, but it does augment talent, or conversely, a team with bad chemistry is often less than the sum of its parts.

So attempting to incrementally increase talent at every spot on the roster at the expense of team chemistry can be counter-productive.

Just as important as chemistry is "fit," there's only one puck, so just having talented offensive players without players who'll do the dirty work to get the puck to the talented players can make those talented players less productive. And offensive players often need teammates on the ice who'll CYA for them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeh, NAK was better than Vorobyev in 17-18 and 18-19. He was the Phantoms best fwd both years at 5v5.

2017-18:

NAK:
54.64% Corsi, +5.99 CF Rel, 60.4% 5v5 GF
0.25 EVG/GP, 0.60 EVP/GP

Vorobyev:
55.67% Corsi, +6.10 CF Rel, 57.1% 5v5 GF
0.14 EVG/GP, 0.38 EVP/GP

2018-19:

NAK:
51.18% Corsi, +6.31 CF Rel, 53.7% 5v5 GF
0.30 EVG/GP, 0.48 EVP/GP

Vorobyev:
48.10% Corsi, +3.13 CF Rel, 44.2% 5v5 GF
0.07 EVG/GP, 0.40 EVP/GP

Close enough that Vorobyev's failures suggests NAK's success was never a given.
Basically dead even in 2017-18, NAK was better in 2018-19.
AHL performance is suggestive, but not determinate, of NHL performance.

GF% is a meaningless stat, basically +/-, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a source for xGF for AHL players
HDCF% would be more valuable, but Phancy Stats doesn't provide previous seasons on his site that I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad