2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The same ones responsible for Hagg and Ginning?

I wouldn’t trust them with a piece of toast.

Hagg was a fine pick at the time. Had fell in the draft, lit up Swedish juniors and been NTs best Dman, and established himself in the SHL at 17. Just really has not developed since. And still is easily in the top 50% of players taken in the mid-2nd round over last 10 years.

Ginning, yeh, he is the one pick out of Sweden since 2013 that I was really not on board with. I wanted Hallander if picking out of Sweden with that pick. But every other pick has certainly been good value where they got them.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
92I1.gif
And I wouldn’t trust that toast either.

Reactions: pit

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg was a fine pick at the time. Had fell in the draft, lit up Swedish juniors and been NTs best Dman, and established himself in the SHL at 17. Just really has not developed since.

Ginning, yeh, he is the one pick out of Sweden since 2013 that I was really not on board with. But every other pick has certainly been good value where they got them.
Nope, they will not be forgiven for this plague.

Send them to the gulag. Send Hagg too.

Reactions: Appleyard

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The same ones responsible for Hagg and Ginning?

I wouldn’t trust them with a piece of toast.

As @Appleyard mentioned, the Hagg pick was actually decent at the time but his development went WAY off course when he came to North America.

Ginning pick was absolutely dookie.

But Lindblom makes up for every bad thing. He is our wonderful golden child. After he destroys cancer he will return and have a glorious career as a Flyer.

Ersson, Lycksell, Hogberg, Bernhardt, and Sandstrom were all good picks relative to where they were selected too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As @Appleyard mentioned, the Hagg pick was actually decent at the time but his development went WAY off course when he came to North America.

Ginning pick was absolutely dookie.

But Lindblom makes up for every bad thing. He is our wonderful golden child. After he destroys cancer he will return and have a glorious career as a Flyer.

Ersson, Lycksell, Hogberg, Bernhardt, and Sandstrom were all good picks relative to where they were selected too.
(I know, I was kidding around ;))

Reactions: Rebels57

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Hagg was a fine pick at the time. Had fell in the draft, lit up Swedish juniors and been NTs best Dman, and established himself in the SHL at 17. Just really has not developed since. And still is easily in the top 50% of players taken in the mid-2nd round over last 10 years.

Ginning, yeh, he is the one pick out of Sweden since 2013 that I was really not on board with. I wanted Hallander if picking out of Sweden with that pick. But every other pick has certainly been good value where they got them.
if you were able to look and rank all nhl tams #6 dman, where would you have Hagg? be curious of your thoughts.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
if you were able to look and rank all nhl tams #6 dman, where would you have Hagg? be curious of your thoughts.

I actually did this exercise a few months back when I was bored. I guess around the ~23-25 range if I remember correctly.

He has a few redeeming qualities. He is actually decent around his own net and on the boards. He gets a decent rate of shots and is surprisingly good at getting pucks through. He is actually weirdly decent at entering the OZ once he gets to the neutral zone.

His biggest issues are simply zone defence and zone exits. If he was "okay" at both he would be a good bottom pairing Dman in my eyes. But he is too passive and he does not play the puck clean out of the zone almost ever.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I actually did this exercise a few months back when I was bored. I guess around the ~23-25 range if I remember correctly.

He has a few redeeming qualities. He is actually decent around his own net and on the boards. He gets a decent rate of shots and is surprisingly good at getting pucks through. He is actually weirdly decent at entering the OZ once he gets to the neutral zone.

His biggest issues are simply zone defence and zone exits. If he was "okay" at both he would be a good bottom pairing Dman in my eyes. But he is too passive and he does not play the puck clean out of the zone almost ever.
So you're saying Hagg isn't the worst player in the history of hockey?

It's always nice to read your level-headed, unbiased opinions. It's become a breath of fresh air on this board.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You'd probably have to move him up a few notches simply because he's so durable.
That has value at the bottom of the roster as we've seen in the past (do you really want to go deep into the LHV defenseman roster?).

Reactions: Larry44

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nobody makes that claim. We have seen several forwards recently who are worse.

And then there's the Riley Cote issue.
He is, however, easily and indisputably the worst D on this team and one of the worst D in the entire league.

And yet some still love him on here... non-coincidentally they’re the same people who hate one of our best D...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
You'd probably have to move him up a few notches simply because he's so durable.
That has value at the bottom of the roster as we've seen in the past (do you really want to go deep into the LHV defenseman roster?).
When the opposition is throwing big fast guys like Malkin, Ovechkin, Matthews at you, you will need some big, strong mobile D to stop them, esp in the bottom pair on the road. People here hate Hagg but he does his job, helps the team and is cheap and reliable in a cap world. He’s not hurt all the time, he does his share of hitting, he makes the odd spectacular rush. What’s not to like for a 6th D?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
He can't pass, handles the puck like a grenade and generally spends most of the game in his own zone.

He's not a good NHL defenseman.

He has some qualities but shouldn't really be playing minutes on a contender. It's where Ghost should be, but he's shit the bed the last two seasons

Reactions: Rebels57

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019

without looking in any way, shocked you have him that low as wouldnt think 23 tams have a better 6th dman. I am by no means a fan though as your 6th dman he is ok to me.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
He is, however, easily and indisputably the worst D on this team and one of the worst D in the entire league.

And yet some still love him on here... non-coincidentally they’re the same people who hate one of our best D...
what one of the best d do people hate?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When the opposition is throwing big fast guys like Malkin, Ovechkin, Matthews at you, you will need some big, strong mobile D to stop them, esp in the bottom pair on the road. People here hate Hagg but he does his job, helps the team and is cheap and reliable in a cap world. He’s not hurt all the time, he does his share of hitting, he makes the odd spectacular rush. What’s not to like for a 6th D?

The defensemen you just described is not Hagg.

It's Braun.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You sure you know who Hagg is? :laugh:

He can't play against the guys you listed because he's not skilled, smart, or quick enough to keep up. In fact, he gets absolutely dominated by bottom 6 players. The mentality that you fight skill and speed with slow and strong is dinosaur thinking that doesn't work in the NHL anymore.

He's also not a "stay-at-home" or "defensive" defensemen because he's way too aggressive and terrible defensively.

He actually doesn't do his job because his job is to help this team win games. He does the opposite of that. People here hate Hagg because we want the Flyers to win... he makes that harder and doesn't positively impact the team in any tangible way. He's literally one of the worst defensemen in the entire league, which is backed up by both the eye test and statistics. He'd be even worse off if he didn't have a top pair D carrying his ass so hard for most of the past two years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad