2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you have the choice of trading Hagg for a 2nd rounder or re-signing him to 3 years x $2.5 mil with a flat cap and cheaper better options......the answer is obvious. Sit back and enjoy these next 3 seasons.

Somebody offered us a 2nd rounder?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Somebody offered us a 2nd rounder?

No, he actually has no value in the league. We couldn’t get a worn down pencil for him.

I’ll eat my shorts if his return couldn’t be a 2/3 pick. If it’s a 4th rounder, the decision is no more difficult given his contract status. And you don’t even have to be a hater (h8er) to side with that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A 7th round pick has more value to us than Hagg.

He surely has trade value because there's a lot of really dumb GM's out there (Hi Chuck), but he has negative value to this team because of how much of a detriment he is. We're weaker when he's on the ice... offensively, defensively, and in transition.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg has real value to us on a low cost contract, who are you going to replace him with next season?

Morin - he may not be ready until January, and there's no evidence he's as good or better than Hagg (3 years ago is meaningless)
Friedman - he may be ready to step into a #6 role, but seeing is believing
Zamula - doubt he's NHL ready in the fall, needs to add strength, back has to hold up, etc.
York - same, even if he decides not to go back to school (if there's school), you'd want him to start at LHV and work his way up

You need depth, otherwise you rush a kid or have to play a below replacement level veteran

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There are ELCs who outperform Hagg. There are cheaper options in house that outperform him. He should've been moved not just at this trade deadline, but at the last one too.

Unfortunately he is Hockey Guy Kryptonite. Hockey Guys adore bad players who try hard and value the effort over results. This is how Rinaldo somehow keeps getting NHL games, too. It's a shame this organization is traditionally more obsessive about those guys than other teams.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are ELCs who outperform Hagg. There are cheaper options in house that outperform him. He should've been moved not just at this trade deadline, but at the last one too.

Unfortunately he is Hockey Guy Kryptonite. Hockey Guys adore bad players who try hard and value the effort over results. This is how Rinaldo somehow keeps getting NHL games, too. It's a shame this organization is traditionally more obsessive about those guys than other teams.
Friedman is already clearly better and I would bet everything I own on Zamula immediately being a better option than Hagg too. Robert is just that bad.

If either of those players can do anything at an NHL level - like literally anything... shooting, passing, defending, skating, anything - then they're already an upgrade. If not, then you go find someone to add from the outside because settling for someone like Hagg when you're trying to compete isn't acceptable.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

It would've been a possibility if Morin managed to stay healthy. Without Hagg there's only Provorov, Sanheim and Ghost at LD. No backup. Friedman is a RHD.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So saw a report that compliance buyouts might be instituted again due to the flat cap. Seems like one. The flyers don’t really have anyone worth it I feel? It’s incredible how far the cap management has come for this team.

Dont give Cap any ideas on the Hayes contract lol

Reactions: Asnito

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
On the other hand, Therrien claerly did not care about the handedness becuase look how amazing his PP setup worked in the first half of the season :laugh:
I think it was their insane obsession with handedness that kept the PP broken for that long. They put Giroux on the wrong side because of his handedness. :laugh:

Still blows my mind that anyone was that stupid (and that some people on here defended it too...).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The obsession with handedness that has formed a kind of sub-culture in hockey the last few years has been bizarre. I stopped reading the trade board because of all the proposed FA signings and trades that would be skill upgrades for their teams, but posters were dismissing without consideration due to handedness. There is a substantial group of people who refused to consider upgrades to their team because they wanted the involved player to hold his stick differently.

I'm looking at Edmonton fans as the worst offenders.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There are no "safe calls."

Friedman didn't show much in his cameo, and he hasn't dominated the AHL like Myers and Sanheim when they were two years younger than he was last season. So I'd be wary of assuming he's going to be a solid #6, and we'd still need a #7.

You can't depend on Zamula and York this coming season, maybe they're ready, more likely they need a half year to a year in the AHL (or college if they have college hockey) but they're far too valuable to rush and screw up their development, especially in a #6/#7 role where they could spend a lot of time on the bench.

Now if you're gonna pay Hagg real money you might as well bring back Braun if you can get him on a one year deal.
But if you look at FA in the past, marginal veterans get overpaid on a regular basis, so that's really not a better option.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
With Friedman having to go through waivers and them seeming high on him I'd be surprised if he isn't on the team in at least a 6/7th capacity. Add to that the uncertainty with the cap and the low probability of retaining Braun, and the ongoing health issues with Gost and especially Morin, and a depth guy like Friedman may have real value here. Depends on his camp and all but I see him as basically penciled onto the roster after 3 good years at LV and the team probably needing cheap depth next season. Plus he is very unlikely to pass through waivers unclaimed with most of the league in a bad cap way next season and Fletcher probably realizes it.

Provorov – Niskanen
Sanheim – Myers
Gost - Friedman/Hagg
Morin (cheap 8th if healthy)

That's not too bad at all if it's all they can afford and they don't swing some major trades. You lose a little experience and solid defensive play with Braun but it is more than offset with the likely improvement to the young players and adding more puck skill with Friedman, IMO.

Alternately they could look around for a cheap right side D on a one year deal but then you have to start trading guys or sending them through waivers so I'm not sure it is worth the effort for a marginal to no upgrade for a 3rd pair vet defender. Focus on signing a cheap depth center if you do anything and call it an off-season. The team will be good with only minor tweaks so no need to get crazy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There are no "safe calls."

Friedman didn't show much in his cameo, and he hasn't dominated the AHL like Myers and Sanheim when they were two years younger than he was last season. So I'd be wary of assuming he's going to be a solid #6, and we'd still need a #7.

You can't depend on Zamula and York this coming season, maybe they're ready, more likely they need a half year to a year in the AHL (or college if they have college hockey) but they're far too valuable to rush and screw up their development, especially in a #6/#7 role where they could spend a lot of time on the bench.

Now if you're gonna pay Hagg real money you might as well bring back Braun if you can get him on a one year deal.
But if you look at FA in the past, marginal veterans get overpaid on a regular basis, so that's really not a better option.

Yes, there are safe calls.

He didn't need to show a lot. He just had to show he is at minimum as good as Hagg. He accomplished that.

Reactions: Striiker

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Yeah.

Those 15:32 TOI/GP - more than 1/4 of the total game - are irrelevant.

764:14 total minutes this year.

Not worth talking about. Especially when he’s almost certainly getting re-signed to a brand new contract by our incompetent staff.
Well at least the AAV should be cheaper than what we're paying our 7th D-Man:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad