2019/20 Roster Thread XXXII (3/5: Farabee Recalled From LHV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I'd love to see JVR-Hayes-TK but it's tough to build a bottom 6 out of what's left

G-Coots-Jake
JVR-Hayes-TK
Farabee-Frost-NAK (The Phantoms line? This would be a completely new combo. Don't know how I feel about it)
Raffl-Scooty Loots-Pitlick

Alternate if they want to see what Grant Dreck has to give on the 4th line. The key is Frost at 3C. Needless to say

G-Coots-Jake
Farabee-Hayes-TK
JVR-Frost-Scooty Loots
Raffl-Grant Dreck-NAK

If they're going to be stubborn and not bring up Frost

G-Coots-Jake
Farabee-Hayes-TK
JVR-Scooty Loots-Pitlick
Raffl-Grant Dreck-NAK

The need to do something about the lack of skill on lines 3 and 4 that we saw tonight

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I've long said Laughton could hit 40 pts at 3lw but if he's there maximizing his potential then our prospect group isn't anywhere as good as I think it is. He flubbed a few tonight but I expect him to rebound Friday

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
You can nitpick any coach, but you can’t walk away unhappy with the job AV has done this year.

AV teams typically find a way to make a deep playoff run within their first season. He just tends not to age well. I’m hopeful that this season is a learning experience for the young guys, and next season they win it all.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
On Laughton could we be seeing a late bloom. You know like the other 3C did? I know he's on a shooting heater but could it also be a version of a breakout combined with that heater?

The thing that's different about Laughton vs Couts is that Couts always had underlying numbers, and scoring rate numbers. He always produced at 5v5 at ~2nd line rates, regardless of teammates. He typically had even numbers throughout that time. There were indicators in his underlying numbers that he could produce more when given a larger role opportunity.

The only thing we're seeing with Laughton right now is his shooting heater, which you mentioned. There's nothing in his underlying numbers that indicate otherwise.

I guess my point is the numbers always suggested that Couts had more to give. They do not with Laughton. Doesn't mean Laughton isn't effective, it's just not a bet I'm willing to take.

EDIT - First draft riddled with grammatical errors.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The thing that's different about Laughton vs Couts is that Couts always had underlying numbers, and scoring rate numbers. He always produced at 5v5 at ~2nd line rates, regardless of teammates. He typically had even numbers throughout that time. There were indicators in his underlying numbers that he could produce more when given a larger role opportunity.

The only thing we're seeing with Laughton right now is his shooting heater, which you mentioned. There's nothing in his underlying numbers that indicate otherwise.

I guess my point is the numbers always suggested that Couts had more to give. They do not with Laughton. Doesn't mean Laughton isn't effective, it's just not a bet I'm willing to take.

EDIT - First draft riddled with grammatical errors.

I am not saying that he's going to go full Coots breakout but could we finally be seeing the potential that was seen when he was drafted? Many complain about him being a first rounder who's a "fourth liner" maybe he's finally got the coach and system that brings out his abilities that led to his draft position. Aka could he be a solid tweener middle 6 guy, low second liner high third liner?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Well I don’t know what to believe... these magical nerd numbers or the people who say we don’t have any goal scorers. ;)

But that includes the Pigeon... and we all know he sucks.

for those who don't know that's a joke. I know he's a streaky goal scorer.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I am not saying that he's going to go full Coots breakout but could we finally be seeing the potential that was seen when he was drafted? Many complain about him being a first rounder who's a "fourth liner" maybe he's finally got the coach and system that brings out his abilities that led to his draft position. Aka could he be a solid tweener middle 6 guy, low second liner high third liner?

Maybe. My post really wasn't meant to say, it's not going to happen, mainly it's unlikely that he's going to explode into something new.

Laughton has always been a guy I defended. There was a time where I thought he could be a 3rd line center, which in a pinch he can. To you're point, he's been a bit more noticeable this year, even if the underlying numbers don't show it. He's trying a bit more, he's a bit more confident. That no look pass to Hayes last night is a prime example. You weren't seeing that type of play in previous years.

Regarding his skill level, and I don't think he blows the doors off, I don't know if he's given enough credit in that department, either. He's got a very good shot, one of the best wristers on the team, and great wheels. He's very tenacious, and probably not a lot of fun to play against. Plays the 'right way' (I say that partly in jest, but I do think playing with tenacity and fervor can be beneficial if coupled with appropriate skill). Playing LW suits his both his style and his skill set.

Maybe he tops out as a JvR-lite (in terms of impact only). Maybe he is a guy who can't be depended on carrying a line, but is a great food soldier. And, to me, those guys are important and add value to your club. Despite his underlying numbers, I think you can look at his 5v5 scoring rates and say he has the ability to consistently contribute secondary scoring. He's been around 1.5 p/60 for 4 seasons.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Laughton is at -6.17 CF% rel and -7.80 xGF% rel with a PDO of 103. That doesn't signal breakout. That's Hagg territory.

He's shooting 19% this year at 5v5. His career average before this year was 7%. He's more than doubled his expected goal total at 11 (vs 4.78 expected).

He's making the most of his opportunity for now and that's great for the team, but probably wouldn't get carried away. I'd look to sell high in the offseason though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laughton is at -6.17 CF% rel and -7.80 xGF% rel with a PDO of 103. That doesn't signal breakout. That's Hagg territory.

He's shooting 19% this year at 5v5. His career average before this year was 7%. He's more than doubled his expected goal total at 11 (4.78 expected).
And he still shouldn’t be on the 2nd line, even if it worked in a massive one game sample size.

Reactions: AdamParrot

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
And he still shouldn’t be on the 2nd line, even if it worked in a massive one game sample size.

Tweener means he moves up if needed but should be 3rd liner on a proper roster.

Again they are letting the new guys get ice for a few games. Every team will do this for the next week or so. You don't trade for someone to immediately sit them in the press box.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The difference in quality of play between the 3rd best guy on a solid Middle 6 line and a top-end 4th Liner isn't very big, especially if you have real Middle 6 depth. Linemates make a massive difference.

The jump to an average 4th liner is significant though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We saw Raffl do the same thing with Giroux and Voracek. 4th liners can look good with better players, especially in small samples.

That doesn’t mean that having them there is your best possible lineup. What we iced last night is far from ours.

That’s the point. It’s not the end of the world, it’s just handicapping ourselves for no real reason.

It’s about sustainability and that line won’t sustain that play, like Laughton can’t sustain shooting almost 20% this year.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The difference in quality of play between the 3rd best guy on a solid Middle 6 line and a top-end 4th Liner isn't very big, especially if you have real Middle 6 depth. Linemates make a massive difference.

The jump to an average 4th liner is significant though.

Yeh, Flyers really have 12x forwards now who "can" play on the 3rd line or higher (as all score at low end 3rd line level at worst over decent/good samples, and all have decent D at worst)...

but: Laughton, Raffl, Pitlick, Grant and NAK, in an ideal world, if on the 3rd line are in effect the "3rd wheel" on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad