2019/20 Roster Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Well this was an interesting last page or two to catch up on...

I apologize to everyone for my part in the problems/conflict over the last while. The intention wasn't to upset or insult people, so if I did then I'm sorry. I see the give-and-take on here in a much more banter-like manner than I guess others do, which could be a problem with doing this over text instead of in person where tone would be much more clear. I talk the exact same way to my family and friends, but since they know me and my intentions it gets taken much differently. The difference between saying "you're an idiot" with a straight face versus with a wink and a chuckle. I guess that unfamiliarity is something I should've kept in the front of my mind more often.

What used to be so enjoyable about this place was that we would celebrate good things and also mock/laugh about stupid things. I've continued to have the exact same mentality as I've had for the last handful of years on here, where if something good happens I get excited and if stupid happens I point it out, both to laugh at it and to vent frustration, because more than anything I'm passionate about this team and want them to win. I spend too much time thinking about this team and what changes I want to see happen to help it be the best it can be.

But it seems like now the exact same posts are seen as "overreacting" and "negativity"... when it used to just be a normal part of this board. Because now if I make identical posts to what I made a year ago then suddenly there's responses from half a dozen people telling me why it doesn't matter or why I need to let it go, which is what makes any complaint seem way bigger than it actually is. I should just let those posts go and not get into arguments, but when I'm trying to say something and it's being taken in a different way than intended I feel obligated to try to clear that up because I don't want my posts to get misunderstood. But apparently that's not working out as I hoped. It's also pretty bizarre to be called "negative" when I'm more optimistic about this team than most, so clearly there's a disconnect between what I'm thinking and how it's coming off in posts.

So anyway, like I said above, I apologize.
giphy.gif

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Striker, I think you're a good poster here and more often than not, I agree with your viewpoints. For instance, we're both huge Ghost supporters and want Myers/Frost/Farabee here ASAP.

I do think you're being too nitpicky about certain things and assigning way too much weight to stuff that you can't know to be right or can't possibly matter.

I learned a long time ago that getting into the microdecisions that a coach makes every night isn't worth it because A. no coach is going to be perfect B. we're not perfect either C. Even if we know more than the coach, which is really really unlikely except maybe in extreme cases like Hakstol, the things we'd prefer the coach to do probably don't make a difference in the long haul.

Like, playing Raffl on the top line instead of Konecny, or putting Voracek on the fourth line (things Hakstol did) are egregious mistakes that anyone can see. Fletcher bleeding value and screwing up the cap is a serious problem. But playing our top 6 forwards in the top two lines probably can't possibly be a mistake regardless of how they're configured. (I'm assuming that everyone is OK now with saying that Lindblom is better than JVR, which was quite controversial last year. If not it's OK.) The Coots line has been downright incredible. The Hayes line has been fine, and will be terrific once Voracek gets going. I don't know what the optimal configuration of these 6 players really is. Saying "Konecny needs a playmaker better than Coots on his line" looks a little silly right now and it's really likely that "Voracek and Giroux can't play together" will prove to be just as wrong.

We've had two games against train wrecks of teams where we basically dominated territorial play the entire match. Digging into what the coach could have done better is really nitpicky. Sparing Giroux a couple minutes a night isn't hurting the team. If he's playing 13 minutes and Bunnaman is playing 12 minutes that's a problem. But he's getting 17 minutes and Bunnman is getting 7-10. Even at worst-case scenario, if Giroux is getting 17 minutes a night instead of 19 for the entire year, you're talking about the difference of a couple goals max. Even then, if he's fresher for the playoffs and healthier, it's difficult to say that it's wrong.

Like, G is probably the best penalty killer in the league. But if we can put out an effective PK unit without him, which it looks like we can, then I'm all for him saving his legs for offensive play. The only real argument I see for him not being a center is that it preserves him from having too big a defensive burden against bigger, younger centers, not because he can't handle it but because he's more effective offensively IMO.

As HC said, this is already a huge improvement over Hakstol. TK would have been benched in the third after scoring goals with Bunnaman and Pitlick getting double-shifted.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
As HC said, this is already a huge improvement over Hakstol. TK would have been benched in the third after scoring goals with Bunnaman and Pitlick getting double-shifted.

Oh dear god. No, he wouldn't have. We're two games deep.

Exciting first game
That was a pretty good game of hockey from the Flyers though. Disappointing end but an encouraging game.
Good game, pretty encouraging. Thought bschenn and Laughton played well
Hope all the games are that exciting. Entertaining game despite the loss. Got a point which is good. On to the next.
Pretty fun game.
Team looked a lot better though and was exciting.
the flyers look like a much improved skating team overall as a group.

I just went down the first page of the Post-Game Thread from Hakstol's first game behind the bench. I also removed the names because that's not the point.

Nothing is already a huge improvement. Be optimistic. Be positive. Enjoy the hell out of it. Just try to remember hope is how it always starts. Hopefully it keeps rolling. Even if it doesn't, it might end up there again in May. It's a long, long season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I just went down the first page of the Post-Game Thread from Hakstol's first game behind the bench. I also removed the names because that's not the point.

Nothing is already a huge improvement. Be optimistic. Be positive. Enjoy the hell out of it. Just try to remember hope is how it always starts. Hopefully it keeps rolling. Even if it doesn't, it might end up there again in May. It's a long, long season.

I bailed on him extremely early. Proud to say I was one of the first lol

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

Well, this is crushing.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Hakstol absolutely benched TK in a game where he scored two goals before.

At a minimum, the PK is a vast improvement.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Is now not a good time to point out that the guy he replaced / we thought he was an improvement over just won a Stanley Cup?
More pain... I’m still unsure what exactly Craig berube is. He had a shit roster here and managed to get them to the playoffs the year laviolette was fired. The roster got worse and he got canned.

I find him to be decidedly average. Average guys can win cups.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I love this game. Can I play?

Overall pretty happy with last nights game. Definitely think they could/should have won it but the fact that they were even competitive in it is a huge change from last year. The quality of their play and the style of their play were both very encouraging, this is a better team than last year for sure. And lastly I'm really happy with Hakstols system so far. Such a massive improvement over last year.

8 year old Striiker before the world corrupted his innocence
tenor.gif

Luckily, I didn't have an account yet. :naughty:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hakstol absolutely benched TK in a game where he scored two goals before.

That's not the point. All that I'm saying is that problems like that don't arise 2 Games into a tenure.

I expect things to be better. How much better, I don't think anyone knows. Just give it time. That's it.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
That's not the point. All that I'm saying is that problems like that don't arise 2 Games into a tenure.

I expect things to be better. How much better, I don't think anyone knows. Just give it time. That's it.

I was over Hakstol by November of his second year after being thoroughly unimpressed by his performance against the Caps and him benching Ghost.

I'm confident we'll get a solid 3-4 years out of AV before everyone gets tired of him. If we win a Cup he'll probably get a 3-4 year grace period where the team falls into mediocrity.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I like how PP2 has the LCK line up front, but they really should have Sanheim as the right side dman. Him and Provorov have a lot of experience playing together at 5on5, so it shouldn't be a defensive downgrade, and Sanheim is rather obviously a better attacking player than Niskanen.
2 goals in 2 games and you want to switch up PP2!?!

They've played really well and everyone should be thrilled, but we're collectively drawing an awful lot of conclusions from 2 Games. Just give it some time to shake out before we make proclamations.
You don't know how hard it is for me to not point out that Thomas Harley is running at a 2 PPG clip right now.

Still counted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad