2019/20 Roster Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Braun hasn't done anything in preseason to make me go "Yeah that was worth it!" and change my mind, but we will have to see about how it goes in real games.

Niskanen is making me think I was wrong. Again, we'll see what real games bring.

Both will probably need some time to find their place on the team and build some chemistry too.

Reactions: Striiker

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Braun and Niskanen looked kind of average all preseason yet people ***** and moan about Hagg...

they need to bring Boyle... He is slow but he still scored 18 goals while playing decent D.
He got 7 of those goals on the #1PP in NJ and Nash. He would not get that chance with us...don't be fooled.

We certainly don't need to add a C to get slower. We have Frost and hopefully Patrick on the way.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
He got 7 of those goals on the #1PP in NJ and Nash. He would not get that chance with us...don't be fooled.

We certainly don't need to add a C to get slower. We have Frost and hopefully Patrick on the way.
Frost should play in AHL and with Patrick you just do not know for sure.. this thing can go a whole year with him, I've seen this a few times in the past.. it is uncontrollable and comes back whenever paralyzing you.. I do not even see the argument. I am not saying sign him long term... one year deal.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Frost should play in AHL and with Patrick you just do not know for sure.. this thing can go a whole year with him, I've seen this a few times in the past.. it is uncontrollable and comes back whenever paralyzing you.. I do not even see the argument. I am not saying sign him long term... one year deal.
I just don't think it's needed at all.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Braun hasn't done anything in preseason to make me go "Yeah that was worth it!" and change my mind, but we will have to see about how it goes in real games.

Niskanen is making me think I was wrong. Again, we'll see what real games bring.

Both will probably need some time to find their place on the team and build some chemistry too.

I was critical of the offseason moves but I'm waiting until the real games start to judge them.

I still 1000% believe preseason should NOT be used for evaluating players readiness or quality. That applies to all prospects and it applies to them too.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I was critical of the offseason moves but I'm waiting until the real games start to judge them.

I still 1000% believe preseason should NOT be used for evaluating players readiness or quality. That applies to all prospects and it applies to them too.
The more we see with Patrick, you had to think fletcher knew there was a question mark. With hindsight, the Hayes move was a “had to”.

I think the thought process on upgrading the d was sound, again it probably had to be done. I don’t think niskanen and Braun we’re both necessities, but it’s obvious they are improvements on what we were trotting out there.

Again, it’s nice to choose to be optimistic about this season. Of course, that’s right when they rip out your heart and stomp on it but c’est la vie.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Wait, you mean you arent just going to use their pedestrian play in the preseason to further your agenda?

What an odd concept.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
I just don't think it's needed at all.
Current aspirations of the team, I agree with you. If we were AV year three or four and the team were relative locks for the playoffs and a threat, then yes, they need to go and bolster that center position.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The more we see with Patrick, you had to think fletcher knew there was a question mark. With hindsight, the Hayes move was a “had to”.

I think the thought process on upgrading the d was sound, again it probably had to be done. I don’t think niskanen and Braun we’re both necessities, but it’s obvious they are improvements on what we were trotting out there.

Again, it’s nice to choose to be optimistic about this season. Of course, that’s right when they rip out your heart and stomp on it but c’est la vie.
Yeah, if he knew that Patrick was a question mark it does make the Hayes signing more understandable. After all, my two problems with the signing were 1) the contract, and 2) the possible negative impact on Patrick and Frost.

As for the D, my issues were 1) I didn't want Gudas traded because I liked him, 2) I didn't like the price for Braun, 3) I didn't like targeting a Braun-type, and 4) I didn't like that it meant Provorov-Ghost couldn't happen anymore (which turns out to not be true since AV suddenly doesn't care about sides).

Regardless, I'm still optimistic because I like a majority of the roster and believe in our stars and youth. I still have high hopes for this year, even with the recent stupidity.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Yeah, if he knew that Patrick was a question mark it does make the Hayes signing more understandable. After all, my two problems with the signing were 1) the contract, and 2) the possible negative impact on Patrick and Frost.

As for the D, my issues were 1) I didn't want Gudas traded because I liked him, 2) I didn't like the price for Braun, 3) I didn't like targeting a Braun-type, and 4) I didn't like that it meant Provorov-Ghost couldn't happen anymore (which turns out to not be true since AV suddenly doesn't care about sides).

Regardless, I'm still optimistic because I like a majority of the roster and believe in our stars and youth. I still have high hopes for this year, even with the recent stupidity.
The roster decisions as an aggregate are still objectively better than what we saw with hakstol. Give it a bit to make a full judgement, but it’s improved undoubtedly.

How much? Too early to say. Is my optimistic approach possibly a symptom of Stockholm syndrome from time with hak as coach? Without a doubt yes, so any improvement is welcome.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The roster decisions as an aggregate are still objectively better than what we saw with hakstol. Give it a bit to make a full judgement, but it’s improved undoubtedly.

How much? Too early to say. Is my optimistic approach possibly a symptom of Stockholm syndrome from time with hak as coach? Without a doubt yes, so any improvement is welcome.
Without a doubt. We’re better off now than we were to start last year for sure.

I don’t like that certain preventable problems have returned, but overall the situation is better.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

Roster decisions were Hextall. I think the big improvements will be to systems and structure. The new coaching staff is orders of magnitude better. I'm curious to see how the veterans take to it. I'm sure it won't work out great for everyone and I think you will see some xmas or deadline trades.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas was fine in a CYA role with a partner who was mobile and could puck handle.
Though I think he wasn't a good match with Provorov (would have to check that).

Braun is better than Gudas, and it's not close. Braun can skate.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Roster decisions were Hextall. I think the big improvements will be to systems and structure. The new coaching staff is orders of magnitude better. I'm curious to see how the veterans take to it. I'm sure it won't work out great for everyone and I think you will see some xmas or deadline trades.
I disagree in that the coach does have a say in whom is played and kept on the roster vs being sent down. (E.g. sanheim getting minimal minutes while outplaying Macdonald and hagg, use of Weiss and lehtera, hakstol could convincingly made a case for hextall to promote someone from the phantoms if he so chose to)

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
After pre-season they splited G-Coots-TK line. Hagg with Ghost.

I HATE THIS SEASON ALREADY. AGAIN.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The practice lines and pairs are so bad. :laugh:

There’s no way they’re stupid enough to keep them for game 1, right? Nobody is that dumb. Nobody.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
All the new players that came in must just laugh at this group. Nisky knows why it was so easy to beat them without even skating most nights. Nisky and Braun plus Hayes are good players coming to a team that plays with no pace and is slow as shit. Our young D are the problem right now huge as none are standing out in any good way. AV will have to pull a Keenan to get them to play proper and hard. It's a f***in shame we all knew what needed to happen.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That is kind of nauseating. I thought he liked g—coots-konecny and jvr—hayes—lindblom.
Yeah, the previous lines were as good as possible with this lineup. Now this garbage?

The D pairs were stupid, but these are wayyyyyyyy worse. Braun on the top pair and Hagg with Ghost?

Maybe he likes this years draft?

Jokes aside, I don’t really care so long as it’s just in practice. For all we know it’ll change again before Friday. I’m just going to wait until we see what’s put together for game 1 before worrying. But if these stay together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad