Named Team Captain in year 3
toiled in Canadian University hockey for a year
1 year in AHL
2 years split between ECHL and AHL
1 full AHL year
11 year NHL career
CBJ Broadcaster
CBJ Team Ambassador
Hosts the Jody Shelley Golf Fore Health tourney every year: $480,000 donated to Yarmouth hospital
July 13, 2013 eclared Jody Shelley Day in Yarmouth
Had a street named after him: Jody Shelley Drive....Which I drove on this weekend!
Mariners Centre, renumbered as 45 Jody Shelley Drive, after his jersey number
His number was retired by the Mooseheads.....a great ceremony I saw live as my little girl wanted to go see him
Named #1 Moosehead of all time
Gave us the below classic video.....all due to a tryout and when training camp never mattered.

I just wanted a reason to post about Shelley after seeing his street this weekend and the training camp angle was a perfect reason!

Last edited by a moderator:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I’m well aware that GMs are stupid enough to think that this tiny sample size, with mixed squads, rusty players, and half-assing NHLers is somehow a valuable evaluation period.

So you're saying training camp doesn't matter

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Wrong.

S H O U L D N T
M A T T E R

It does matter to them because they’re dumb. But it shouldn’t.

I really don’t know how much more clear I can be about this...

You're saying training camp objectively doesn't matter, but to GMs it subjectively matters -- right?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Nice Farabee quote: “But playing really fast, I tend to get pretty mad out there, so I play pretty physical even though I’m not the biggest guy.”

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
After breakout rookie campaign, Carter Hart faces high...

We aren’t talking about goalies much as there isn’t much to talk about given that roster is set and there is an idea of what the split will be. But if history matters, then Hart should have a lesser year than last. I can’t see him below .900 like all of our other goalies last year seemed to be. If he gets to about .910 for next year I’d be happy. And then start to really be consistent and high end like he was in junior.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I expect Hart to have some struggles. He had a few really bad games last season. And he also struggled initially in the AHL. He’s not a god. I’d take a .910.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Let be clear.

I never said that training camp DOESN’T matter.

I said that training camp SHOULDN’T matter.

I’m well aware that GMs are stupid enough to think that this tiny sample size, with mixed squads, rusty players, and half-assing NHLers is somehow a valuable evaluation period.
I think it’s important to note that what the gm appeared to be talking about was handling bigger players in training camp. As the players discussed, he said already had the skills to play but not sure if they can handle the nhl game psychically

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not that worried about Hart, he is unusually mentally balanced for a goalie.

He has only struggled twice in his career, in 2012-13 when he was 14, and last year in the AHL, before he adjusted after a month.
CHL: .915 S%, .918, .927, .947, CHL PO: .929, .929, .908, .921
WJC-20, .906, .930
AHL .902/NHL .917

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I think it’s important to note that what the gm appeared to be talking about was handling bigger players in training camp. As the players discussed, he said already had the skills to play but not sure if they can handle the nhl game psychically
I don’t think Farabee is going to have much of a problem. He’s wiry strong.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It's one thing to make skilled plays in open ice against physically undeveloped young players, most of whom have weak defensive fundamentals, quite another to do so against men who have played for a decade and can anticipate plays developing.

While you can see some of this in the NCAAs, unless a prospect has played in the AHL/SHL/KHL, you don't have film of them against NHL style competition - even the WJC-20 is against highly skilled but physically undeveloped and defensively flawed (for the most part) players.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hart's last 14 games:

4 games above .905 SV%
10 games .905 SV% or below
10 games giving up 3 or more goals

Having a good coach and system should help along with a better defense and better forwards.

Every goalie has ups and downs. We just need to see more consistency starting from the net outward to include our whole team and coaches.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Let be clear.

I never said that training camp DOESN’T matter.

I said that training camp SHOULDN’T matter.

Looks like somebody doesn't know what goes on at NHL camps

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
After breakout rookie campaign, Carter Hart faces high...

We aren’t talking about goalies much as there isn’t much to talk about given that roster is set and there is an idea of what the split will be. But if history matters, then Hart should have a lesser year than last. I can’t see him below .900 like all of our other goalies last year seemed to be. If he gets to about .910 for next year I’d be happy. And then start to really be consistent and high end like he was in junior.

I think he ends up in the .915 range. He's not like normal sophomores. Mentally he's ahead of guys that are many years older than him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hart's last 14 games:

4 games above .905 SV%
10 games .905 SV% or below
10 games giving up 3 or more goals

Having a good coach and system should help along with a better defense and better forwards.

Every goalie has ups and downs. We just need to see more consistency starting from the net outward to include our whole team and coaches.

The team pretty much stopped playing down the stretch when the wind left their sails and a few of those games were complete no-shows by the Defense. So I do think that's a bit misleading.

Reactions: Insurrection

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
OK, explain. :popcorn:

Fitness testing. Coaches get to see who's in what shape. They also have info from previous years. A guy like Chara for instance takes pride in his pull ups every year, setting a tone and a message to the rest of the team how hard and dedicated you have to be to come prepared. It's actually become an iconic ritual in Bos

Rookies. Coaches get an idea who will make it or not

Vets. Compare them to last year
New players. Look for chemistry
PP and PK. They set up their strategies for the year
New coaches. Talk about game plan
Nutrition. Plans, new and old

The coaching staff walks away w/ a ton of valuable info off these 2 or 3 days that they use and strategize over

The younger players and/or newer players get to learn and see NHL competition. Often fights happen at these camps cuz the competition is high

Good NHL vets use this time to show how hard you must compete in practice and drills, setting a tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad