2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
IKR? I was surprised to find he hadn't been picked. Pasic I see went to the Devils in the 7th. Meh.

As for Innala, this was his 4th time as draft eligible and coming off a 24-goal, 45-point season in the Liiga, I was surprised he wasn't taken anywhere. Eh, small and questions about his defense... *shrug* But he is still quick and creative.

When you consider we took an over-ager, I don't see why someone like Innala doesn't click all the boxes. Similarly to Roustalainen - probably misspelling that. However, yes the more skill you can add to this decrepit system the better! As for Wassenius, yes I thought he'd be gone. I was the only one at my job last night. So yeah...I lost track of the final few rounds.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Why on God’s green earth does little Joe leave San Jose for Buffalo?

In chemical terms, this Sabres squad has too many players who are ineffective catalysts. The activation energy is sky high for this squad to move up in the East standings.

it’s the Sabres form of Callahan’s degenerative disc disease.

Lol, I spit out the coffee I was drinking on the Callahan comment!

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Botterill can clean up the roster a bit this off-season. There are still too many players on the team who don't need to be.

Waive Sobotka and Hunwick. Sobotka will go back to Russia, and Hunwick can help in Rochester. Both are gone in a year, so no need to buy them out.

Look to move Bogosian once healthy. If you can't, just keep him as a 6/7 D. No need to buy him out, as he's in his last year.

I'd like to get another look at Scandella in an actual NHL defensive system. If he recovers, great. If not, look to move him.

And then see if Dorion would take Okposo. 2020 1st, top 10 protected, a later round pick thrown in as well, to take Okposo. See if they can get Tierney or Pageau back.

That would clean off the roster nicely, set the team up for the significant contract extensions coming, and open some room for competition for young kids. It also leaves a lot of room for free agent adds (Connolly, Donskoi, Heed, etc).

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I think Botterill can clean up the roster a bit this off-season. There are still too many players on the team who don't need to be.

Waive Sobotka and Hunwick. Sobotka will go back to Russia, and Hunwick can help in Rochester. Both are gone in a year, so no need to buy them out.

Look to move Bogosian once healthy. If you can't, just keep him as a 6/7 D. No need to buy him out, as he's in his last year.

I'd like to get another look at Scandella in an actual NHL defensive system. If he recovers, great. If not, look to move him.

And then see if Dorion would take Okposo. 2020 1st, top 10 protected, a later round pick thrown in as well, to take Okposo. See if they can get Tierney or Pageau back.

That would clean off the roster nicely, set the team up for the significant contract extensions coming, and open some room for competition for young kids. It also leaves a lot of room for free agent adds (Connolly, Donskoi, Heed, etc).

The great thing about the Scandella, Bogosian and Sobotka, just like Moulson and Pominville this season they're at least expiring. So if you can flip one or both for mid round picks, you do it, and move on. I like Bogosian as a person, and I like his play when he's on the ice. However, at the end of the day, even after a relatively solid season, he STILL had major surgery and is missing 5-6 months. This team needs depth, and guys who can mix in on multiple lines. Heed and Donskoi are the creme de la creme of that for me this off-season. The speed, the ability to move from 1st to 3rd line is so impressive with Donskoi and something we just don't have. In addition Heed, to me is a utility RHD that you can use in all facets similar to Pilut. Sign me up for both guys.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I wouldn't mind getting Kruger for the interim 3C. Go with two offensive lines and two defensive.

Skinner - Eichel - Connolly
Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Sheary - Kruger - Rodrigues
Girgensons - Larsson - X

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I wouldn't mind getting Kruger for the interim 3C. Go with two offensive lines and two defensive.

Skinner - Eichel - Connolly
Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Sheary - Kruger - Rodrigues
Girgensons - Larsson - X

Sheary? Defense? :laugh:
(I'm sure you just stuck him there because there's not really anywhere else to put him, but it's still a funny idea.)

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree. The money these dudes are going to get in FA will be ridiculous. They talking about Myers getting 7 a year. Risto at 5.5 is turning into a second pairing guy. Use him that way.

They real issue we have is finding a partner for Dahlin. Less worried about Risto and more worried about that. They guy they drafted at 32 seems like a perfect fit to be that perfect compliment to Dahlin. Great skater but doesn’t need to be involved offensively.

It does seem like the shift in league economics. Does anyone really want to outbid the Canucks for Myers? I certainly don't.

As for Dahlin's partner, they do need someone who isn't the great and broken unreliable one with him. Hell, Nelson looked good with Dahlin, better even than Bogo. Where they get that, we may never know. I'm not sure they view Borgen as that guy at this time.

The Sabres will talk to Anders Lee this week, but nothing will come of it

I have two reactions to that: Eeek. Whew.

I hope so. Not a good investment.

I dread the idea of another 29-ish year old UFA winger. They just got out from under a couple of those. Don't bring in another.

Yeah... Im about done with Islander wingers

Ditto.

I have to agree, just a prediction of Botteril's wide net casting. I'd rather have Lee and a waived Sobotka, if no other option presents itself.

I'd rather just waive Sobotka and work in the youngins from Rochester. We just saw how much some teams were forced to pay to move bad cap space. Don't add more in areas that aren't good fits. Lee is another "he could play with Eichel" move. We already have what, three? four? guys who punditry put into the "he could play with Eichel" bin. It's like Jack is going to run the Flying V or something. Hey, he's got two wingers on both sides! F defense! :biglaugh:

If you think he’s a #4 D at best why are you so afraid to move on?

Because the cost to replace from outside seems steep in either raw dollars or trade assets? I know there are plenty of people who are calling for them simply to dump him at all costs. The small sample of Montour getting Risto's minutes was actually worse than Risto in Risto minutes. Yes, yes, they should no longer be running Fills system and that will make things better for Montour... and by extension it might make things better for Ristolainen.

When they move Risto, the right side will be Bogosian who is not a well human as we know, Montour who is a fun player, and Nelson who is more of a 7 than anything. Borgen may be ready, will he slot in as some of the minutes needed to replace Bogosian when he's on his usual physical holiday?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The UFA class is either unimpressive for what Buffalo needs, or over-priced for the building stage the team is at. They are about bare in quality trade assets on the roster, with only Ristolainen being able to return a win-now player, and they don't have an RHD capable of replacing his top-four mins. The only prospects that look able to play in Buffalo this season are Olofsson, Smith, hopefully Nylander, and maybe Borgen. Two D-men out with injury until after camp.

For all these reasons I expect very little turnover from last season's roster, at least before 2020. The major change being a new HC that can have them playing a better game. I want to see some prospects push their way in the line-up, allowing bad contracts like Sobotka, Bogosian, and Hunwick to be dumped prior to their expiration next summer. Another learning curve for the roster to get comfortable under Krueger will have them struggling near the bottom of the standings again, at least for a month or two. It will stay ugly around here.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The only way I see a decent to good center option getting acquired is via trade. But I have no idea who that would be and I’m not holding my breath it happens.

Unless I missed something, I would be shocked if this organization isn't going to go full Pegula-copter on Duchene.

That's also the only way their drafting over the last 2 years makes much sense. Stock up on goalies and D (who are roughly 5 years away from becoming NHL players in general, but add in the NCAA or Euro factor and you have more flexibility with the timeline), ignore forwards except for top-of-the-draft talent, since forwards are typically 2-3 years away from becoming NHL players and thus you have to make a decision sooner (especially true for CHL forwards). This gives them a pipeline of D and goalies who can fill in the roster on entry level contracts in the coming years, while their forward group is largely locked up in longer-term contracts.

I'm not saying that's right, but...that's just the only way I can make sense of it. It looks to me like that's what they've been doing, purposefully, under Botterill. Maybe not. Who knows.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Unless I missed something, I would be shocked if this organization isn't going to go full Pegula-copter on Duchene.

That's also the only way their drafting over the last 2 years makes much sense. Stock up on goalies and D (who are roughly 5 years away from becoming NHL players in general, but add in the NCAA or Euro factor and you have more flexibility with the timeline), ignore forwards except for top-of-the-draft talent, since forwards are typically 2-3 years away from becoming NHL players and thus you have to make a decision sooner (especially true for CHL forwards). This gives them a pipeline of D and goalies who can fill in the roster on entry level contracts in the coming years, while their forward group is largely locked up in longer-term contracts.

I'm not saying that's right, but...that's just the only way I can make sense of it. It looks to me like that's what they've been doing, purposefully, under Botterill. Maybe not. Who knows.
They can go as hard as they want at Duchene but he still has to want to come here. I just don’t see them being able to sell him on coming here.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
They can go as hard as they want at Duchene but he still has to want to come here. I just don’t see them being able to sell him on coming here.

Obviously - but, I'm assuming they don't think that way. I would assume, absent being told explicitly by Duchene/his management that he won't sign with them, that Duchene is "Plan A" and anyone/anything else is "Plan B." I'm not trying to suggest I think he'll sign here (or, even that I think it's a good idea). It's just that everything they've done for the last two years sort of sets up like it's part of the plan.

The Reinhart bridge deal makes sense in this context. Not trading Risto to TB for cap dumps + a good player also makes sense in that context. Have Sobotka become allergic to his equipment and then trade Risto for Tyce Thompson and a conditional 4th round pick or whatever and there's most of the Duchene money.

Kramdaman

Apr 22, 2014
I still think the best deal for Risto is with Edmonton.

Risto + Nylander for RNH+ Larsson

Fits us well and fits them well.

Gives us a 2C and a player to log minutes with Dahlin until a better option becomes available.

Gives them an offensive defensemen and a young player that can ride shotgun with McDavid or Leo.

I’d love to man Puji as well but I don’t know what you’d have to add. McCabe? Prospect?

Skinner/Eichel/Rodrigues
Oloffson/RNH/Reinhardt
Sheary/Middlestadt/FA
Smith/Larsson/Girgensons
Wilson

Dahlin/Larsson
Pilut/Montour
Scandella/Bogosian

Last edited:

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Gives us a 2C and a player to log minutes with Dahlin until a better option becomes available.

Gives them an offensive defensemen and a young player that rode shotgun with McDavid or Leo.

Not enough going to Edmonton. RNH is more valuable than Risto. Nylander doesn’t hold much trade value right now, and they won’t sell low on Larsson.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Gives them an offensive defensemen and a young player that rode shotgun with McDavid or Leo.
I strongly doubt that Edmonton will make this deal, Nylander does not yet have such great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad