2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 16: Not much left to speculate about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Its all about cost and term.

I dont see getting Tuch for a 2nd. It would cost more.

A team isnt going to trade a 1st for Ristolainen unless they plan on protecting him in the ED. similar logic also applies to a trade for a player.

Id rather play Risto as a winger next year thus making it easier to protect himin hthe ED

Im not helping TB by taking one of their $5M players

Luke Tuch

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
...and wait 3yrs with fingers crossed for those pieces to become bonafide NHLers when we need help NOW.

If you're dealing Risto it HAS to be for a n NHL pivot IMO - his value is tarnished so its not neccassarily going to be a 'sexy' return (certainly not a 1st or a #1C...). A straight up hockey trade w/ a team needing D help for a 20-something, #2/middle-6 centreman like Henrique/Bonino/Wenneberg/RNH on a similar cap-hit deal makes the most sense IMO. Buys Cozens/Mitts more time, allows Reinhart/Kahun to play primarily on the wing... Avoid the square peg/round hole issue.

With his lack of good possession analytics, he won’t get a 2C.

I have a feeling that ship sailed several years ago. When Brian Burke goes on national television and says he was going to trade for Risto and his analytics frantically talked him out it...it's over. Our only hope is Dale Tallon. But, even then, odds are long.

Trading Risto is an "addition by subtraction" proposition. Almost anything they get in return is a bonus (assuming they don't trade Risto for, oh, idk, 2 or more of the worst players in then entire NHL. But I mean, what are the odds of that *laughs nervously*).

Agree. Which is why I’m targeting Anaheim. Murray is old school without a big analytics department. Plus Murray is an eye test guy who will go with what he sees over analysis.

Its all about cost and term.

I dont see getting Tuch for a 2nd. It would cost more.

A team isnt going to trade a 1st for Ristolainen unless they plan on protecting him in the ED. similar logic also applies to a trade for a player.

Id rather play Risto as a winger next year thus making it easier to protect himin hthe ED

Im not helping TB by taking one of their $5M players

Luke Tuch.

I’m not really concerned with the ED.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
If the NHL ends up playing the end of the season during the summer, and Sobotka is healthy, does he get #17 back, does Simmonds keep it, or can we just scratch them both?

Both can wear #17 because they are interchangeable as Ralph's favorite millstones to place around Skinner's neck.

Give Simmonds 1 and Sobotka 7. Then play them on the same line. Genius!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Tyler Johnson is basically the perfect player for us. He's getting 40-50 points in a reduced role in TB. He'd get more TOI and is good with skilled wingers.

Yeah, I think he'd be a good target for the Sabres. Problem is he is among the myriad of TBL players with a restricted movement clause in his contract. Would he waive for Buffalo?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Yeah, I think he'd be a good target for the Sabres. Problem is he is among the myriad of TBL players with a restricted movement clause in his contract. Would he waive for Buffalo?

I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to make his way over to Seattle

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I'd guess probably not. He doesn't have any ties to this area that I know of. I probably wouldn't waive to go from a contender in a zero income tax state to than to go to Buffalo. That's what, a 8% drop in income off that bat.

I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to make his way over to Seattle

That is probably his destination in 2021 if he stays in TB.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

RasmWristshotlainen

Jun 24, 2015
Finland

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Acoording to this Sobotka may not be back next season! If true, according to his agent he has recieved offers from both european teams and from the KHL. Parties have not discussed details
Here is the link (link in finnish):
Kova paljastus: Lähes 4 miljoonan dollarin NHL-peluri harkitsee Eurooppaan siirtymistä! | SuomiKiekko
His agent had spoken to Hokej.cz

So hopefully there is no interest from Botterill to try and get him to stay...

He's a UFA, so that makes sense. I doubt there is a lot of interest there.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Looking like Zadorov might be the odd d-man out in Colorado after this season....Av's fans seem to think he could be had for draft picks...most likely a 2nd and a 4th, or a 2nd and a 3rd....Any interest ? We need to get tougher

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The most attractive compliance buyout option on every NHL...

I think this will get the hopes up for fans of teams with bad cap situations.

Kyle Okposo, Buffalo Sabres

Three years remaining, $6-million cap hit

Okposo’s deal is one of those nightmare contracts from the free agent class of 2016, a set of pacts which litter this list. The 32-year-old had 19 points and was averaging fewer than 13 minutes per game when the NHL season paused. That production simply doesn’t match the money Buffalo has committed to him.

The wild card in all this is that his contract probably isn’t the worst on the team. Jeff Skinner has had an awful year, and scored 14 goals after putting up 40 a year ago. But could the Sabres really stomach going back on an eight-year, $72-million contract after only one season?

I would buy out Skinner. But, that's just me.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
The most attractive compliance buyout option on every NHL...

I think this will get the hopes up for fans of teams with bad cap situations.

I would buy out Skinner. But, that's just me.
Buy out Okposo and use the money to fix the center problem. Then you will get your money out of Jeff when you play him more in the right situations with decent linemates. You cant get the production out of Okposo no matter what you do. Jeff has a very proven history. He had a bad year for sure but he will live up to 75-85% of his contract value over the life of it. Thats a typical UFA overpayment, especially for a needy buffalo team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Buy out Okposo and use the money to fix the center problem. Then you will get your money out of Jeff when you play him more in the right situations with decent linemates. You cant get the production out of Okposo no matter what you do. Jeff has a very proven history. He had a bad year for sure but he will live up to 75-85% of his contract value over the life of it. Thats a typical UFA overpayment, especially for a needy buffalo team.

I would buy out Skinner because of the length of the contract and the full no move clause.

I'd rather buy him out now and not have to worry about being stuck with him on the back end of that deal.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn’t be too confident that Pegula will agree to buyout another player. Money flow is tight and ponying up all that cash right now might not appeal to him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It would be nice if you could hold on to the buyout and not have to use it immediately

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I would buy out Skinner because of the length of the contract and the full no move clause.

I'd rather buy him out now and not have to worry about being stuck with him on the back end of that deal.

Skinner's deal in the later years is much more friendly to a regular buy-out than Okposo's. And, despite not having his strongest season last year, he's still a very good player and one of the few forwards capable of scoring on this team. If there are CBOs, I'd use it on Okposo, for sure.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If we get a compliance buyout, unfortunately it’s a discussion that needs to be had (re: Skinner or Okposo).

People can spin it however they want, at the end of the day we’re paying 9M for a guy that averages 53 points a season if healthy. He’s wildly inconsistent season to season and not good defensively. Those are all facts. Not to mention that 5 of the remaining 7 years will be played when Skinner is over 30.

Okposo only has 3 years left.

I’m not even sure what I would do cause Skinner is obviously much better than Okposo but 7 years is a long freaking time and the NMC makes that contract unmovable otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad